The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2001, 08:47 AM   #1
zanthope

.30 Carbine Reloads

I loaded a couple of hundred rounds using AA #9, Remington 110 gr bullets and Lee carbide dies.

After being fired, the case mouth swells up so much that they won't extract, and I get one FTF or FTE after another.

It's a mixed lot of brass, but mostly Winchester.

Any thoughts?
Old December 13, 2001, 09:59 AM   #2
sricciardelli

How much powder you're loading would be useful information...
Old December 13, 2001, 10:46 AM   #3
zanthope

Load is 12.6 grains AA#9, which is the max, giving up 39,800 CUP & 1893 fps.

Pressure-wise, it is below the SAAMI spec by 200 CUP.

According to Modern Reloading, the best load, velocity and pressure-wise is Winchester 296, which I'm starting to wish I had bought instead. 296 gives you more velocity with less pressure ... 1980 fps and 36,000 CUP.

BTW, this is being used in a Standard Products original receiver and Inland 1944 barrel, with about 60-70 percent of its rifling gone. Despite this wear, with factory ammo I can get a 3"- 4" group at 100 yards, shooting from rest. I figure some reloads might tighten that up a little....these little critters are FUN!
Old December 13, 2001, 10:52 AM   #4
LIProgun

A couple more questions:

- Does the same thing happen with commercial factory or military surplus ammo?

- Are you checking your brass for overall length before loading, and if so, trimming to the appropriate length when necessary?

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old December 13, 2001, 12:39 PM   #5
dick w. holliday

As i've said before concerning this little cartridge--it is mandatory that you check the length of every piece of brass and trim it if necessary.........also-----if you are crimping it any more than it takes to get the bell out of the mouth----then you may bepushing the brass past the front of the chamber (it headspaces on the casemouth you know). i've had them jerk the head off the cases and on one occasion break an extractor.......so you may be crimping them too much.............it is a fun little bullet to reload if you only follow those two rules...........i just did 2000 last week....

by the way Powder Valley has H108 for 47.00 for 8 pounds......let's face it you ain't going to be doing any bench rest shooting with these babies so the cheaper the better......by the way again...Pats Reloading has bullets for 45.00 per 1000.,....Dick out...........
Old December 13, 2001, 06:20 PM   #6
zanthope

Is crimping even necessary if the bell is "just barely" enough?

I'm using a Lee Factory Crimping Die, which is a collet-type taper crimper. I'm not sure I like it for this application. I looked at some expensive RCBS dies last night...maybe an elf could drop them off...?

I need to check those lengths. I spot-checked them, and that was probably a mistake.

I'm usually pretty thorough...ya'all caught me cheating here!

Honest to goodness, I've loaded about 3000 rounds of .223 this year with no problems at all.

Thanks for the good replies, all.
Old December 13, 2001, 08:03 PM   #7
dick w. holliday

that collet crimper is probably the culprit in this case--i've used them before (but not on carbine) and you can probably crimp it small enough that it goes past the lip of the chamber and into the throat. i've got a Lee taper crimper that i use on them with no problem........Dick
Old December 13, 2001, 08:52 PM   #8
Keith J

The crimp may be the culprit but the load is also quite hot. Just 200 CUP under the limit? that's not much headroom and a little hotter batch of powder coupled with a hotter primer and a few degrees of temperature difference would put you over the max.

I know the barrel is worn but that powder is on the quick side and peak pressures develop rapidly in the carbine.

I happen to have an old set of RCBS dies if you are willing to buy them...I'm in Texas, north Houston area.
Old December 13, 2001, 10:49 PM   #9
zanthope

Keith J ... how much you want for those dies?
Old December 14, 2001, 10:07 AM   #10
LIProgun

Another vote for taper crimping. I use the Hornady die set, and I'm very pleased.

Regarding .223 vs. .30 M1, the difference is in the headspacing (shoulder vs. mouth). OAL and crimp are really critical in .30 M1. In my experience .30 M1 cases always need a trim after the first firing.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old December 14, 2001, 10:12 AM   #11
Keith J

$20. There's no shellholder as I used the one for my .22 Hornet. I'll pay shipping to anywhere in the States.

Keith