The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2001, 11:35 PM   #1
Navy joe

Anybody ever done this?

Ok here's the deal. I've got a nicely sported up type 38 arisaka rifle, calibre 6.5jap. As I was pondering 40 buck a box ammo today I did a little looking. The brass has the same head diameter as .308win. 6.5 is semi-rimmed, .308 not, but the extractor in this particular rifle has no problems with it. Anybody think I can get some dies and make this work?
Old November 2, 2001, 12:37 AM   #2
Bogie

I'm not sure, but the thing may not be able to take the .308 pressures?

My advice would be to learn to handload for the thing...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old November 2, 2001, 12:42 AM   #3
Freedom in theSkies

Why not call RCBS to see if they can reccomend something for you. Their custom shop is reported to be one of the best.
BOL
Old November 2, 2001, 02:04 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Generally speaking, and I mean generally, the Arisaka Type 38 action is considered to be one of the strongest ever put into a military bolt action rifle.

I say generally because some of the late war guns were breath-takingly horrible.

Type 38s, and 99s, as well, have been converted to a lot of different calibers over the years, with varying amounts of success. One of the most common was 6.5x257.

Head and rim diameter is actually quite a bit different according to my books -- .455 for the Arisaka to .466 for the .308. Rim diameter is similarly different.

Believe it or not, the .30-40 Krag is actually a LOT closer to the size of the 6.5 Arisaka. Perhaps you could have someone chuck some .30-40s into a lathe and trim the rim for you.

Another possibility is the .35 Remington, but the case is a bit on the short side.

Maybe, in the long run, the best thing in would be for you to retire the Arisaka and get youself a 6.5x55 Swede, and work it over. Another great cartridge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.