The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2001, 07:14 PM   #1
pinetree

Tapper Crimping 44mag w/Rainier?

I've been shooting Rainier bullets in my 45acp and plan on doing so with my 44mag. Rainier states NOT to roll crimp. Anybody else shoot Rainier bullets in revolvers? What are your thoughts on roll vs taper? I can pick-up a Lee taper crimp for $8.

Also, are Rainier bullets plated or jacketed? I thought they were like Berry's, plated. Is it that their jackets are thin?

Lastly, can they be used in hunting applications for small whitetail.

Thanks,
tjg
Old October 26, 2001, 05:34 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

EXPERIENCE

Suggest NOT using Rainier for deer; CAN be used, but mostly for holing paper.

I use a heavy roll crimp (REDDING) on the Rainier 240's, but I go over the shoulder break-point.
If loading longer (really light loads) you can try taper-crimping, but BE CAREFUL. Recoil can cause the bullets to pull right out of the cases.
(Universal Clays, TiteGroup)

I shoot 240g LSWC mostly (IPSC), and for deer-type game I highly recommend loading up some XTP's or Sierra 240g SM's.

Rainier bullets are plated, but I have achieved excellent accuracy even when driving them to IPSC MAJOR (9x19, 9x21, 38 Super, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 44 Magnum, and 45ACP). Maybe its just me......
Old October 26, 2001, 08:26 AM   #3
JoeHatley

pinetree,

Rainier's are electroplated. I use a roll crimp on them all the time. But because the plating isn't as thick as a jacket, I adjust my die to roll the case mouth about half the thickness of the brass into the side of the bullet. Works great for me.

I wouldn't use them on deer. There are so many other better bullets available.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old October 30, 2001, 01:47 AM   #4
jtduncan

I've been shooting Rainier bullets in my 45acp and plan on doing so with my 44mag. Rainier states NOT to roll crimp. Anybody else
shoot Rainier bullets in revolvers? What are your thoughts on roll vs taper? I can pick-up a Lee taper crimp for $8.

I have reloaded about two cases of the Rainier copper plated 240 FP bullets with 8.0 of Universal and a Lee Factory Crimp die that taper crimps the bullets. They have no cannelure so unless you'd like to deform the bullet, taper crimp with a light target load is the only way to go.

Also, are Rainier bullets plated or jacketed? I thought they were like Berry's, plated. Is it that their jackets are thin? Only shoot Rainier and West Coast - double struck and thicker plating. Berry's are not and have had and heard of several problems with sizing.

Lastly, can they be used in hunting applications for small whitetail. No. Only use FMJ, JHP or JSP like Hdy XTPs for deer.