The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2001, 07:03 AM   #1
Blarneystone

How Much Blue Coral polish to add to tumbler?

Hi all,

I'm one of the Guinea Pigs who built the home-built tumbler. One thing that doesn't come with the home built version is an instruction booklet!

I was wondering how much of the Blue Coral car polish I would add to approx. 4 lbs of media to get the shells shiny? I sqirted in a tablespoon or two last night and the shells turned out fairly well, it's just that there is still powder burns around the mouths of the shells. By the way, I tumbled them for 2 hours.

Should the media be moist at all from the polish? Mine was bone dry.

Thanks!
Brad
Old October 24, 2001, 07:08 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

MILLIONS OF CASES

Recommend Dillon Rapid Polish.
Old October 24, 2001, 09:09 AM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I never tried Blue Coral but have used Armoral with Wal-Mart pet bedding (ground corn cobs) in my Lyman turbo twin. I turn the bottle upside down and give it 2 "glugs". you know the bottle goes glug, glug . The media is kinda moist and it cleans like a whistle. I had about 500 empty 30-06 cases from CMP and some were really dirty...............I had to do 4 batches because of the amount, but it only took about an hour per batch and they looked better than new.
Old October 24, 2001, 11:45 AM   #4
Blarneystone

Weshoot...

Dillon Rapid Polish is RUMORED to be repackaged Blue Coral car wash/wax! I thought I'd give it a try anyway.
Old October 24, 2001, 11:51 AM   #5
Blarneystone

ArmorAll? As in the protectant? Wild!

I'll try your glug measurement tonight!

Thanks
Old October 24, 2001, 04:39 PM   #6
slickpuppy

Blarneystone,
It isn't the carwash/wax. It is the old style Blue Coral Wax which is a creamy consistency. The carwash/wax is more like water that I have seen at Walmart. I haven't seen the old formula of Blue Coral in years. I think the closest thing now would be their Self Wax No Buff Car Wax.

I have used Meguiars Cleaner Wax in a pinch. Spare stuff on the shelf kinda thing. Why not go first class!

I prefer the Midway stuff personally, but my last case ran out and they have changed their shipping policies. So, fortunately, I have a Dillon dealer in town and picked up a case of the Dillon stuff and he gave me the case qnty price break. Gotta pay tax but no shipping.
Old October 24, 2001, 05:43 PM   #7
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Blarneystone, sorry for not further explaining...........its not the stuff you spray on tires or the dashboard but rather Armorall Car Wax. I checked a lot of the waxes in Wal Mart and it was one that had no ammonia in it.
Old October 24, 2001, 06:41 PM   #8
maxwayne

I use maybe a half glug of Turtle Wax. I run my tumbler over night.
Old October 25, 2001, 05:26 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

RUMORS............

Contact Dillon, and satisfy yourself.

The Dillon Rapid Polish works well, and is the best I've found (and folks send me stuff free to try!). Not only cleans but imparts a 'slickness' to the cases that both eases reloading and inhibits corrosion.
Old October 25, 2001, 08:53 AM   #10
Tree Rat

DITTO WEESHOOT x 2......all else is silly...unless you really like it Tree Rat.
Old October 25, 2001, 11:06 AM   #11
Blarneystone

Well, after dumping in some of the Blue Coral clean and polish, the Brass did turn out very shiny. I could easily be satisfied with this. Unless the Dillon is better.

I noticed these little swirl marks almost like faint scratches - does the dillon polish get rid of these? You have to be looking very closely to see them.
Old October 25, 2001, 07:46 PM   #12
Waitone

I used two glugs of Turtle Wax in the green bottle when corn cob media was new. I have about 10 batches through the old media with no more Turtle Wax added. Cleans dirt, soot, crud and leave it really shiny.