The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2001, 12:33 PM   #1
johnAK

newbie Q: how do you clean powder trickler?

I just bought Hornady powder trickler last weekends, and tested with powder bullseye and W231, and found that some of the powders stick at the plastic wall or between parts, after I pour tricker powder into original bottle, I shaked and lightly tap by finger, but powder still falls out of tricker at least .5 gr,
so, if I am not careful, different kind of powders can be mixed between powder change in tricker, how do you guys do?
Old October 23, 2001, 12:39 PM   #2
Fred Hansen

You may be able to negate the staic charge on the trickler with a "bounce" type anti-static sheet. Shy of that I keep a can of compressed air (like the stuff for computer equip.) in my reloading room. I use it on everything. It is especially good for my progressive press.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old October 23, 2001, 02:06 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I've an RCBA cast metal trickler so don't know nuthin' about static.
jmbg29's advice sounds good enough.

I'd assume Hornady's is basically the same as all others in function. They've an internally threaded pipe that when turned, delivers the powder slowly. Powder can stick inside the threads.

When emptying, I'll cover the pipe end with my thumb & dump the bowl's contents into the original powder can, then tip it over & dump the pipe. Repeat till both are cleared & finish over with a quick puff to clean it all out.

You're correct that if you don't get the old powder out, you'll end up contaminating at least one next cartridge.

Neatness counts..
Old October 23, 2001, 06:02 PM   #4
Timothy

What you really do NOT want to do is leave powder in that plastic bowl for any extended period of time. I left some in my RCBS electronic dispenser for a couple days and it "welded" itself to the plastic. Had to use a toothbrush and real stiff 1/4" artists' brush to get MOST of it out. I know it was dumb but I forgot. Also found out some other guys did the same thing
Old October 23, 2001, 08:32 PM   #5
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I did the same thing Timothy with my RCBS "uniflo" powder measure years ago..............IIRC it was either Bullseye or Unique..........I never had that problem with an IMR type powder..........I attributed it to a double based pwder and the nitro in it reacting with the plastic............just a guess you understand.
Old October 24, 2001, 05:41 PM   #6
tstr

Yup, I've had that happen to me too.

To clean mine when I've got powder sticking to it, I throw a little bit of corncob media in and shake it real good and poor it out. I don't try to run the media through the measure though. Works good for me.

tstr