The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2024, 12:34 PM   #1
Deltadart

Paper Patching Kit

I may be the last person to the party on this, but if not, here is a kit that makes paper patching a lot easier. If you are thinking of doing paper patching you should get Paul Matthews book called "The Paper Jacket" to learn the tricks of the trade, watch the video from this site and order the kit. The kit has two adjustable paper strip cutting guides, four if you order both sizes, two adjustable paper templates, spare shims for the templates, two bullet size end caps for the templates, a paper stacker to keep the strips in order, an adjustable bullet rolling board, Xacto knife, spare parts, and a source for paper stock. The kit is fully adjustable which is what makes it great. It is probably best to send Doug an email about what you want to do, he is a wealth of information. You will need a cutting matt and those are available from Amazon or many other on line sources or hobby craft stores. Also a caliper to set the paper strip cutting guides is very helpful, but you should already have one of those.
https://www.bpcr3d.com/
Old May 20, 2024, 10:58 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

I am a fan of tools that make life easier.
But I don't really see the utility in the various paper patching tools and guides.

When I needed to do some paper patching again recently, I made my best guess at the patch size that I needed, drew it in a free CAD program, made 6-8 size variations, and printed them on the paper that I use for patching.

After some wet and dry wrapping to test fit, I had the size dialed in. (0.022" longer than any of the test variations.)
I tweaked my CAD drawing dimensions and laid out 20 patches that can be printed on demand, in the correct orientation for the paper grain.
With the first sheet printed, I laid out the pattern on my paper cutter.
So, now, I can print on patching paper and cut the patches with scissors, a razor knife, or the paper cutter. Or, I can skip printing altogether and just take a blank sheet to the paper cutter and use the layout lines that are now drawn on it.

Any depression can be used as a guide for rolling, if desired. Even just the edge of a magazine, place mat, mouse pad, etc.

A good paper patch separates from the bullet at the muzzle. We just need it to maintain alignment and keep the bullet from fouling the bore. It isn't rocket surgery.
Old May 21, 2024, 12:42 AM   #3
georgehwbush

" It isn't rocket surgery. "

i agree, it's more brain science than rocket surgery. :/