The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2022, 09:02 AM   #26
Shadow9mm

The op wanted a #1, and had found one used in 7x57 that was new and one used in 270, with both being about the same price. I believe he was contemplating the 7x57 and trying to learn a bit more about it in order to make a decision. Ended up going with the 270 as it had bee rebarrled and he already has a 270 that he will be loading for.
Old November 20, 2022, 10:30 AM   #27
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
The op wanted a #1, and had found one used in 7x57 that was new and one used in 270, with both being about the same price. I believe he was contemplating the 7x57 and trying to learn a bit more about it in order to make a decision. Ended up going with the 270 as it had bee rebarrled and he already has a 270 that he will be loading for.
Bingo!
Old November 20, 2022, 10:37 AM   #28
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Ok, i'm lost....
Was this thread about the 7X57 Mauser cartridge?
Or just finding a Ruger #1, no matter the cartridge?
Looking for a Ruger #1. Was looking at a new one and the only caliber they had that I was interested in was 7X57 and a wait time that is completely unknown. So, just had some questions about the 7x57 cartridge. Really wanted one in 270, but those were going for more than a new one. Found one that has a brand new 270 barrel for about $300-$400 less than most are selling them for. Had a good conversation with the seller and the barrel and new forearm had been installed by Ruger a month ago. Its is an A model with a 22" barrel.

So, yes. I just wanted the #1 and got it in a caliber I already have to reload and really my favorite caliber, 270 Win.
Old November 20, 2022, 10:39 AM   #29
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
I don't know what they're making today, the older No.1 I had was adjustable trigger.
I had heard folks adjusting the trigger down and usually getting 4.5 lbs at the best. Makes me think the rifle I ordered may have an aftermarket trigger.
Old November 21, 2022, 07:51 AM   #30
std7mag

I don't know about the #1 triggers. But all 3 of my 77 MKII have a Wolfe spring kit installed.
Really helped lower the pull weight on the trigger.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 22, 2022, 07:15 PM   #31
USAF Ret

270 Win
Old November 22, 2022, 08:19 PM   #32
paknheat

Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old November 22, 2022, 08:22 PM   #33
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by paknheat View Post
Very nice.

Just waiting for USPS to deliver the check. Would love to get to hunt with it before the season is finished.
Old November 24, 2022, 08:25 AM   #34
paknheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
Just waiting for USPS to deliver the check. Would love to get to hunt with it before the season is finished.

I hope you get to take it out for a hunt or 3 also.

Old November 25, 2022, 05:57 PM   #35
Paul B.

"I had heard folks adjusting the trigger down and usually getting 4.5 lbs at the best. Makes me think the rifle I ordered may have an aftermarket trigger."

I was going to ask if your rifle had a red or black pad. Your picture solved that problem. All but one of my Ruger #1s are red pads, so only one black pad gun in my collection. The trigger of it is very nice and noticeably better than most of my red pad guns. The rifle is a #1S in .300 Win. Mag and is very accurate. I don't usually shoot far enough to justify a magnum but I think my #1 .300 Win. Mag. are really really cool and all four
Paul B. tight groups.
Old November 25, 2022, 08:26 PM   #36
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
"I had heard folks adjusting the trigger down and usually getting 4.5 lbs at the best. Makes me think the rifle I ordered may have an aftermarket trigger."

I was going to ask if your rifle had a red or black pad. Your picture solved that problem. All but one of my Ruger #1s are red pads, so only one black pad gun in my collection. The trigger of it is very nice and noticeably better than most of my red pad guns. The rifle is a #1S in .300 Win. Mag and is very accurate. I don't usually shoot far enough to justify a magnum but I think my #1 .300 Win. Mag. are really really cool and all four
Paul B. tight groups.
Well sir, I have a JARD trigger coming in. If the trigger in the rifle is good, I will send it back.
Old December 30, 2022, 07:17 AM   #37
hooligan1

USAF, did you get any decent loads worked up for that .270?
Old December 30, 2022, 01:35 PM   #38
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1 View Post
USAF, did you get any decent loads worked up for that .270?
I have not. It is in the shop getting a decent recoil pad put on it. The factory recoil pad was like a piece of 2X4. Also, chasing accuracy issues with a HOWA 270. Currently having the stock bedded. Also having issues with my chronograph and have about 3 chapters from Magnetospeed I need to read.

Been hunting also, so not as much range time. Took a little 5 pointer this morning on my last day to hunt. When duck season is out, I will pretty much be shooting and testing loads every weekend.
Old December 30, 2022, 07:32 PM   #39
Yellowfin

How much barrel length does 7x57 need to work well? I have a family heirloom Mauser sporter that may need a new barrel soon that has a youth stock and I'm thinking 7x57 would do better in a 20" barrel than .243.
Old December 30, 2022, 08:54 PM   #40
ligonierbill

I shoot both rounds from 22" barrels, and they do fine. You would lose a little velocity with the shorter barrel, but not enough to change the character of the round. I suggest you pick the one that works for your use. If I had to pick one, it would be the 7x57. But that's because I favor older-than-me calibers and bigger bullets.