The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 30, 2022, 01:31 PM   #1
Tex S

Sierra 6th reloading manual

Cant find this thing anywhere. What gives?

Does anybody know of a good app or software program that has alot of different data?
Old November 30, 2022, 01:41 PM   #2
lugerstew

I have Reloading Assistant app on my phone, and it has quite a lot of data.
Old November 30, 2022, 02:05 PM   #3
Marco Califo

Out of Stock at Sierra

https://www.sierrabullets.com/produc...oading-manual/
I have a software version (#5 I think), which used to include the exterior ballistics software suite. I heard they have dropped software & electronic entirely.
Frankly, I think Sierra bullets are very good, but over-priced. But then I am not a competitive shooter.
Depending on what caliber you are shooting, many Sierra 5th edition Cartridge articles can be found here. https://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/ Select your cartridge on the left, then scroll down looking for any Sierra logos. For example, they have 308, 223, 243, and 7mm-08.

Last edited by Marco Califo; November 30, 2022 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Add link
Old November 30, 2022, 02:26 PM   #4
Tex S

Thanks, guys.

I have snippets of Sierra data, and for most calibers that I have seen alot of their listed data is much less conservative when compared to other sources.

Not trying to load anything too hot, but it is frustrating to search out data only to find out it makes anemic ammo.
Old November 30, 2022, 03:18 PM   #5
Marco Califo

Speer data, I have found, is often more aggressive in ma y calibers, often highest published (handgun BR86 Data). Hodgson, specifically Staball 6.5 also present some fast loadings in medium rifles.
https://www.speer.com/home
Old November 30, 2022, 04:26 PM   #6
jpx2rk

I have the Sierra app on my iphone, and still functions. I looked in the app store for the Sierra reloading app, and it did not come up. RCBS has an app in the app store if that helps. I can look up data if you provide the info needed (bullet, caliber, powder, etc.) and see what it says.
Old November 30, 2022, 09:48 PM   #7
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo View Post
https://www.sierrabullets.com/produc...oading-manual/
I have a software version (#5 I think), which used to include the exterior ballistics software suite. I heard they have dropped software & electronic entirely.
Frankly, I think Sierra bullets are very good, but over-priced. But then I am not a competitive shooter.
Depending on what caliber you are shooting, many Sierra 5th edition Cartridge articles can be found here. https://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/ Select your cartridge on the left, then scroll down looking for any Sierra logos. For example, they have 308, 223, 243, and 7mm-08.
Everyone says Sierra dropped the App. My android app still works. Subscription just renewed last month.
Old November 30, 2022, 09:59 PM   #8
Marco Califo

Quote:
Everyone says Sierra dropped the App. My android app still works.
Mine is a CD, with the manual (5th), and the Infinity Exterior Ballistics software that runs on a PC/Laptop. They run together as one program. You cannot buy that anymore, and I believe they no longer support the software.
Old November 30, 2022, 10:04 PM   #9
Tex S

Somebody should create an app that pulls data from all the different manufacturers websites. Think of what Kayak does for travel, only for reloading.
Old November 30, 2022, 10:58 PM   #10
Marco Califo

I do exactly that, for all of my cartridges and powders that I have, want, or wanted before now do not want after comparing performances. I also note the source of data, and confirm before loading.
Old December 1, 2022, 09:09 AM   #11
lugerstew

https://stevespages.com/page8c.htm

He has a ton of data and a lot of scary max loads, but he gives you fair warning.
Old December 2, 2022, 04:41 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

Tex_S,

If you email Sierra about data for a specific chambering, they will send you the data free of charge. At least, they always have in the past.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 3, 2022, 08:10 PM   #13
std7mag

You can also call them.
They actually answer their phone, unlike some companies.

Another thought might be to post up cartridge, bullet & powder your looking to use and someone like myself could possably give you advertized data.

Just say'n....

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 4, 2022, 12:40 AM   #14
Tex S

22 Hornet. Rifle is a Kimber Super America made in the early 80’s. An “A” action.

I have Lil’ Gun and H110. Hornady 1x fired cases. I am thinking of using Federal small pistol primers.

Have 2 Hornady bullets. 2230 and 22252. One is a 45gr spire point flat base and the other the 35gr V-Max, respectively.

I also have Speer 1023… a 45gr spire FB.

Last is a Barnes 30gr Varmint Grenade.

Hoping to get some bug hole groups. Never loaded this little cartridge before. I’ve heard 13 grains of Lil’ Gun is about right for 35 grain bullets.