The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2001, 06:47 PM   #1
vega

Applying teflon coat...

Does anybody has knowledge on how to apply teflon coats on lead bullets?

TIA

vega
Old August 22, 2001, 11:08 PM   #2
PreserveFreedom

According to the media, a teflon cooking spray will make the bullet an AP round, if that's what you are trying to acheive. I have my doubts though.

Old August 23, 2001, 12:13 AM   #3
Maximus Firepowerus

teflon coated bullets?

There is only one kind bullet manufactured that came with a teflon coating. It was a KTW bullet that was designed to penetrate armor. Also of note is that it was NOT the teflon coating that gave the bullet it's armor penetrating ability. It was the tungsten alloy bullet (heavier than lead, stronger than steel) that did all the penetrating.

The teflon was added to the bullet because the KTW bullets were simply scraping away the inside of the barrels because of the hardness of the bullet. Teflon was coated on to try and reduce friction and barrel wear.

So if your going to add teflon to a lead bullet to make it armor penetrating, I have some other ideas that work just as well. Try dipping the bullet in easter egg dye or spray generous amounts of pam cooking oil on it. Both methods seem to add the same amount of armor penetrating ability as Teflon. In fact, one of the inventors of the KTW bullets Dr. Paul Kopsch stated that the teflon coating actually cuts down on the bullet's ability to penetrate nylon or kevlar body armor. He did not say anything about easter egg dye or cooking oil though! (lol) ((seriously, don't try this))

Now if your going to try and reduce barrel friction or barrel wear, try moly coating or moly coated bullets. These are much more effective at reducing friction than teflon and suprise! They don't make lead bullets coated with moly-coat armor piercing either.

Hope this helps, now I'm off to use easter egg dye to make my depleated uranium bullets armor piercing.

NOT!
Old August 23, 2001, 07:25 AM   #4
vega

MF,
You hit it right on the egg...
I want to reduce friction wear. Teflon coated bullets are 125% more expensive here in my place. So what kind of spray do I buy? What brand?

PF,
Didn't know that teflon cooking spray would make an AP round.

vega
Old August 23, 2001, 07:33 AM   #5
bullet44

Vega:
Caution on moly spray, I used it at one time
and it caused pitting in a 45acp barrel, barrel
was cleaned after each shooting however over
a short period of time the build up of moly
did cause pitting,accuracy was the same but
barrel looked terrible.Changed barrels and stopped
the use of moly. It could have been just my gun
or I over used the coating but to me it isnt worth