The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2001, 06:59 PM   #1
Rob01

PACT BBK troubles

Well I'm having some serious problems with this scale. I used to own a PACT plug in so I know how the scales are supposed to work and opperate but what's happening isn't right. I calibrate and everything looks fine. I weighed the first charge and started down the line loading cases. I noticed the scale start to wonder 120 tare weight turned into 121 so I re calibrate. Just for the sake of checking I weighed my first charge again which it said it was 42.2 earlier and it shows 41.2! A whole grain off. I check the others and they are all off too. I changed the battery and the same happened. I don't get it. The scale has never been dropped, the temp in the room is constant(I have central air), no air or fan was blowing on it, no flourecent lights so does anyone have any idea? No wonder my handloads weren't performing for me like they should be. I looked at the Midway site and read the review for the BBK where the gent gave it 5 stars. He said that he had to call PACT to get his working. That doesn't sound like 5 stars material to me. Can anyone be of any help?
Old August 19, 2001, 12:08 AM   #2
Charmedlyfe

It sounds like the load cell's binding. Try putting in a new battery first. If that doesn't cure it, then it's the load cell, and it'll have to go back. Had the same problem with my RCBS scale. I think PACT's quality is dropping as their popularity is going up.
Old August 19, 2001, 12:10 AM   #3
Charmedlyfe

Wait a minute.....have you done a factory calibration (not just the regular one)? If no, then do it. The problem should go away.
Old August 19, 2001, 07:26 AM   #4
Rob01

What exactly is the factory calibration? I did the full calibration with the 0, 20, 30, 50, and 0 again. Is that it? If not tell me about the factory calibration.

I changed the battery and nothing changed so I'm calling PACT on Monday. Thanks for the help
Old August 19, 2001, 08:38 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

To perform a factory calibration:

Be sure there is a new battery installed. (important)

Starting with the scale turned off, press and release the on/off button.

The next step must be done within one second of turning the scale on:
Simultaneously press and hold every button except the Cal button. The display should freeze. Count to 5 and then release the buttons. If the scale reads 00.0 you weren't fast enough on the draw and have to start from 'off' again.

The scale should now be displaying "test" or a number other than 00.0.

Press the Cal button until the scale reads "--0-." It is now in factory cal. mode.

Go through the same calibration procedure you did before. This time the calibration settings are stored in non-volatile memory and now reflect the current state of the load cell. (Load cells can settle in a little with some use.)

After the calibration run, the scale is back to normal mode. Check it with some check weights if you have them. It is a good idea to repeat the calibration procedure to reset the volatile calibration settings.
Old August 19, 2001, 08:01 PM   #6
Rob01

Thanks, I'll give it a try.