The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2001, 08:47 AM   #1
Singlestack

Amerc Brass???

Whats up with Amerc brass? I have been reloading for about 2 years and I shoot IPSC so I'm somewhat of a "brass Buzzard". I reload mostly 45ACP. Recently I came across some Amerc 45ACP brass while reloading on my 550. I noticed it first because it was very hard to resize then it stuck on the powder funnel. I went ahead and loaded it but it failed to pass a chamber guage test after it was loaded. I measured it and all seemed ok but it would not chamber? I had never seen Amerc before so I must have picked it up while scrounging for brass. I found about 30 of them in my supply and removed them. What gives? They seem real hard. Are they brass? They look like they are brass. Is this a "known" problem ?

Thanks, John

John
Old August 14, 2001, 09:13 AM   #2
Poodleshooter

Most folks on the web will tell you to trash them. Many have had problems seating primers in them. Myself, I found their pockets to be too loose. I junk 'em when I find 'em.
Old August 14, 2001, 10:01 AM   #3
bfoster

American brass factory loads and my reloads function in my HK, but neither factory loads nor handloads will relliably function in my National Match. The wall thickness of the lot I am (too) familiar with produces a cartridge which is larger in diameter than minimum chamber specifications.

If the workmanship evident in the forming operations is any indication of the quality and consistency of the brass itself, these cases are best avoided.

When I find American brass, I save the cases for sale as scrap.

Bob
Old August 14, 2001, 01:21 PM   #4
Fred

It sucks. Toss 'em.
Old August 14, 2001, 01:25 PM   #5
Steve Smith

As bfoster said, the wall thickness causes the problem. No way 'round it. If you want to prove it to yourself, use your calipers and measure them agains other brands.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 14, 2001, 04:18 PM   #6
Rezdog

At a recent shoot, one of the members put out a bag full of AMERC brass for free and I scarfed them right up. Totally useless and not even good for dummies. They now reside in my scrap brass bucket.
Old August 14, 2001, 11:31 PM   #7
Steve Smith

Rezdog, why keep them? I hope you never grab them sometime accidentally and load up a bunch of ammo!

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 15, 2001, 05:15 AM   #8
PreserveFreedom

Is this the stuff from the copper plated American Ammunition in the clear boxes with the blue label? If so, I wouldn't even shoot it factory new.

Old August 16, 2001, 01:41 AM   #9
Sub MOA

Not only is this brass thick walled, the walls are often times uneven. You know it's really bad when you can tell with the naked eye. I scrounged some of this up at the range a while back and wish I'd just left it there.

Sub
Old August 16, 2001, 05:49 PM   #10
Rezdog

Steve, I keep them because I live on an Indian Rez and lots of guys use cartridge cases to make bangles and jingles and such. I loan them my Lee decapper and they go to town. They look nice on buckskin. There are very few reloaders out here and I doubt they'll fall into the wrong hands. I also pick up any Berdan primed brass cases I find as well.
Old August 16, 2001, 07:32 PM   #11
Steve Smith

A-ha. That makes sense. However, what you said is hilarious! You said:
Quote:
I doubt they'll fall into the wrong hands.
The thing is, they're totally useless for reloading. In fact, we'd probably all do ourselfs a favor by GIVING these cases to the "wrong hands!" Can you imagine the look on a gang banger's face when he racked his slide and it wouldn't go into battery? It would really be funny if he were about to shoot a reloader and the reloader says, "Son, are you trying to reload those Amerc cases? Don't you know they suck?"

(I know gang types don't reload...but the "wrong hands" thing got me in stitches)

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 19, 2001, 01:18 PM   #12
jtduncan

Never them on the floor.

Avoid them.