The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2001, 11:02 AM   #1
Herr Walther

About to take the plunge

I've been shooting a lot more lately and thought about starting to re-load for .308, 9mm, and 9mm Police.

I've heard of the difficulty of re-loading for 9mm. Why is this?

Does anyone have load data for the 9mm Police cartridge (9mm Ultra)?

I saw the below post for the person getting started in this and I think I'll check out the E-bay offerings for equipment and buy a book on re-loading.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old August 10, 2001, 11:29 AM   #2
dntorbert

Buying that book is the best idea. All of the manuals have secitons in the begining of them that go over the basics and the equipment types that will help you decide what type would best suit your needs. Happy reading and enjoy reloading.
Old August 10, 2001, 02:44 PM   #3
Chris McDermott

Only problem I know if with re-loading 9mm is it is technically a tapered case. The carbide dies reduce this to a straight walled case for most of it's length, leaving a much sharper taper at the bottom. This working of the brass will reduce the number of times you can load the case before it splits. If you get a set of the old style plain steel dies the sizing die has a proper tapered shape inside that doesn't work the case walls, but does require lubing the cases before re-sizing them. Best of both worlds is a Titanium Nitride (TiN) coated steel die which doesn't require lubing before re-sizing and has the proper tapered inside shape. You can get these dies from CH4D
Old August 11, 2001, 05:17 AM   #4
Herr Walther

But what about the 9mm Police

Thanks for the replies fellas. I've looked at several reloading manuals out of curiosity, but none include this cartridge.

Should I contact Fiocci or GECO? Do you think I would get a response?
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old August 11, 2001, 08:36 AM   #5
bedlamite

I'm not exactly sure, but I think your 9mm police may just be what we call +P. The SAAMI pressure specs for 9mm are 35kpsi, the +P adds 5kpsi to that bringing it to 40kpsi.

Good manuals for how to reload are Lymann, RCBS, and Lee, although Lee's is in the form of a sales brochure.
Old August 11, 2001, 02:15 PM   #6
Herr Walther

9mm Police was developed by the Germans after the Ultra cartridge was shelved in '43.

This cartridge was introduced again in '74 or '76 in the Walther PP Super. It is a 9x18 cartridge but unlike the Makarov it is a true 9mm diameter using a tapered case.