The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 16, 2001, 11:57 AM   #1
nedfig

Newby questions

I finally got me a Lee Loader in .223 this weekend.
I think I've narrowed my powder choices down to BL-C2, H335 or Reloader 12. I'm gonna try Federal 205M or CCI 450 primers. And 45 and 50gr. HP bullets. BTW, the brass is once fired Winchester. Will the Winchester brass change the numbers?

I have Hornady, Hogden and Lyman manuals. They all show BL-C2 having similar numbers.

How do these choices look? What are your recomendations?

Thanks
Old July 16, 2001, 12:46 PM   #2
yankytrash

If you're new to reloading, get you a box of boat-tail (BT) bullets, too. Those, compared to typical spitzers, will show why champhering the inside of the neck is important for ease of reloading.

I'll have to admit, BT's have made me so lazy that I won't use anything else. I use the excuse of, "...they're more accurate...". It's the truth, but only in most cases.
Old July 16, 2001, 03:06 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

Hey nedfig. What rifle are you loading for? Your powder selections sound good. I'd probably stick to the relatively faster H335 for the light bullets that you're using, though all of those are good powders. Accurate Arms also makes some great .223 powders, that are usually a bit cheaper than Hodgdon or Alliant. Everything changes the numbers. Among the factors that affect velocity: barrel length, barrel brand, case brand, case neck length, crimp, bullet bearing surface, seating depth, primer type, primer lot, powder type, powder lot, and a million other variables. The only way to get exact results is to get a chronograph or learn to not worry about exact numbers! Your selections sound fine.
Old July 16, 2001, 03:10 PM   #4
nedfig

The rifle is an NEF 22" HB

The brass is Winchester

I wasn't planning on crimping them

I thought reloading was supposed to save you money not
Old July 16, 2001, 05:41 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Reloading lets you meddle around and find the most accurate package for your particular rifle. Being able to select a specific bullet for your intended purpose is also an important part of why one reloads.

The cost per shot will be less, although with "just" ammo for the .223 being pretty cheap it's hard to reduce the cost very much.

Overall, there isn't really all that much saving, since most folks just shoot more than if they were buying ready-made retail cartridges. It's a bit different for some of us Old Farts who are using equipment acquired twenty or fifty years ago. Heck, I'm still using .30-'06 dies which were "good used" in 1950...

, Art
Old July 16, 2001, 07:57 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

Art Eatman IS an old dude!

Art--

"Good Used in 1950" indeed. I'm still using 9 mm, .44 Spl, and .38 dies I got in 1967. and I thought THEY were old. Well, the latter two were used when I got 'em.

nedfig--
Welcome to the wunnerful world of handloading. Take it slow and easy and learn as you go. If you don't already have a good loading manual, I suggest you try to find one. They aren't cheap, but they contain a LOT of good information. Used book stores and gun shows often have manuals just a couple of years old, for a huge savings. And there's a wealth of information 0on exact loads to be found on the 'Net.

Best wishes,
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness