The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2001, 12:46 PM   #1
Gary H

What do you use to load Steel Shot???

A local Skeet/Trap range allows only steel. What are you using to load steel and would you recommend the same equipment?
Old July 15, 2001, 09:26 PM   #2
Big Bunny

I am afraid Gary, that no data is available as steel shot needs special data which we in OZ do not have ...nor do we want it ! A specially proofed barrel is also needed. Trap is probably OK for the lower steel standard. but hunting will need a new gun or barrel to the higher steel proof specification.

Prices are high for bismuth and steel here, but so far only needed for waterfowling in specific high-risk areas. No reloading is carried out so far here with steel, so we(and you maybe) are stuck with manufacturer's boxed ammo.
Here up to $25 a box of 25 for steel 12ga and a reported $40 for bismuth is being asked.

Don't forget to pattern your gun before use, as it will be very different with steel shot.
Best of luck or maybe go somewhere else to shoot !
Old July 16, 2001, 11:44 AM   #3
Poodleshooter

Go to www.ballisticproducts.com
They have scads of steel shot data books for sale. I've never used steel myself.