The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 7, 2001, 09:16 PM   #1
bad_dad_brad

Dry Firing The Kel-Tec P32

The manual says don't dry fire the Kel-Tec P32. My dealer says it is no big deal. I have probably dry fired my P32 about 10 times. The manual also says, "like most firearms, don't dry fire this one." What is with that? Most firearms are safe to dry fire once in awhile and you can dry fire Glocks till hell freezes over and all they do is get smoother.

I had heard that Kel-Tec had a lot of firing pin's broken in their P-11 from people dry firing too much. Maybe that is the reason for there paranoia.

Anyway, is it safe to dry fire the P32? Once in a while? I know in my Beretta Jetfire, they suggest that you dry fire only with a spent cartridge in the breech. But that is kind of hard to do without a tip up barrel isn't it?

What gives with this dry firing issue? What do you experts have to say?
Old July 7, 2001, 09:35 PM   #2
johnwill

I've dry-fired my P32's quite a few times, but I suspect that they're not as robust as something like a 1911 or a Glock. OTOH, for the price, I'll just replace the part that breaks.
Old July 7, 2001, 09:55 PM   #3
Dave R

Get a set of snap caps for $10 or so, use 'em and dry fire all you want.
Old July 7, 2001, 10:39 PM   #4
alamo

I am not an expert but have seen posting of people who have dry fired P-11s thousands of times with no ill effects. I suspect that the manual just says that just as a routine disclaimer. I have dry fired my P-32 a dozen times or so with no problems. Buy an extra firing pin and do it as often as you want, forgot the exact cost but it is nothing.
Old July 8, 2001, 08:14 AM   #5
bad4u

I've never experienced a broken firing pin with a handgun, but I've seen broken firing pins with tournament shotguns (skeet & trap), since these guns commonly fire 1,000 rounds per week during the summer months weith practice and tournaments.

One problem with broken firing pins is that the tip break isn't always a simple snapped-off tip, but instead a fraction of the tip breaks off - forming a sharp-ended firing pin. Sharp firing pins tend to penetrate primers. A penetrated primer is one less barrier between you and the explosive charge in your weapon.

Penetrated primers usually don't result in catastrophic damage to the weapon, but damage to your hand due to a blown grip panel is quite possible.

Snap-caps are cheap insurance and a recommended accessory for anyone who dry-fires a weapon intentionally.
Old July 8, 2001, 01:46 PM   #6
awisler

I, too am interested in the answer to this question; I don't dry fire for practice without a snap cap, but do routinely dry fire after unloading to let the hammer down prior to storage. I haven't found another good way to do this -- you can't use the slide to let it down slowly because the sear won't trip out of battery. Any suggestions?
Old July 8, 2001, 04:43 PM   #7
Ledbetter

The nature of the beast

Greetings,

Although I love my P-32, I do not consider it a particularly durable or robust piece of armament. Relying on the gun for protection makes it dangerous to ignore the manufacturer's warnings about a certain component of the gun, that is, the firing pin.

In other words, dry firing this gun isn't worth the added risk I perceive to result from doing so. I prefer to wet-fire mine only.

Regards.
Old November 19, 2011, 12:13 PM   #8
slapjack

dry firing p 32

i take my finger and hold the hammer to let it down slowly
Old November 19, 2011, 03:47 PM   #9
jackh

This is an answer from the Kel Tec P32 forums
"the firing pin will go too far forward during dry fire. This can cause the pin to make the firing pin hole wider, and also damage the firing pin. This 'over-travel' can also cause damage to the lower threads of the extractor screw"
I have a KT pf9 and a Ruger SR9c that can't be dry fired either with out precautions