The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2001, 09:02 PM   #1
poperszky

Primers, Sm Pistol vs. Sm Rifle

Was listening to several people at steel challange tonight and most of them said that they had stopped using small pistol primers and were using small rifle primers instead. I assume it was to get more power out of the round. But don't you run into over pressure problems? What is the real benefit?
Old June 19, 2001, 10:14 PM   #2
Bompa

I believe the idea is if you are using super loads there is less chance of pierced primers..The rifle primer being made of harder metal..
Old June 19, 2001, 10:25 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Bompa's on target.

Too, some have recommended pistol primers in rifle-type calibers in Contenders - apparently, being softer, they'll allow you to see pressure signs more readily ....
Old June 20, 2001, 02:31 AM   #4
Intel6

The use of rifel primers started when the IPSC shooters started loading up the .38 Super to higer levels in order to make the compensator work better. Many shooters started having problems with the primer cups extrude back into the FP hole int he breach face and when the barrel unlocked a small piece of the primer cup was sheared off and often cause the FP to stick when enough of the cup material was sheared off.

They found that using the thicker rifle primers helped cure that problem along with using an oversize firing pin and precisely fitting it to the FP hole in the slide.

THe rifle primer doesn't cause any "pressure" problems because you basically work up your load with them.
Old June 20, 2001, 07:20 AM   #5
Pampers

LR/LP too!

I had the same primer extrusion problem while working up a load for .45 Super. I cured it by modifying the cases to accept large rifle primers. This consisted of deepening the primer pocket circa .006" using a Sinclair primer pocket Uniformer. That cured the problem, along with the added benefit of more uniform ignition as demonstrated by a great reduction in standard deviation coupled with a slight DECREASE in velocity.

Triton ammo must have drawn the same conclusion because they produced their .45 Super twin, the .450 SMC, with a small primer pocket.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old June 20, 2001, 09:32 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Pay close attention to what Intel6 said - don't just substitute the SR primer for a SP in a given load. You must work up to a good safe load.
Old June 21, 2001, 01:32 PM   #7
Hemphill

Intel6 hit the nail on the head. I use sr primers in my 40 loads for IPSC just for that reason. It also allows for the use of less powder. If you are going to use them, be sure to work up to the load, an make sure you can ignite the reliably with your pistol. Many of the tuned revolvers I have shot require federal small pistol primers because the mainspring has been lightened so much that nothing else is reliable.
Old June 22, 2001, 09:37 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

Intel6 = BIG BRAIN

Just develop your loads with one primer; I use SR for extreme .355"-bore IPSC Major loads (9x21, 38 SUPER).
Old June 22, 2001, 05:52 PM   #9
Intel6

WESHOOT2,

Yeah! Big brain to fill the big head I am getting by all you guys saying how right I am

I was just the quickest guy to the draw that time