The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2001, 01:16 PM   #1
Dave P

Too Tight handloads

Rifle: Rem 700, 308. Problem: often my reloads are difficult to chamber, and/or difficult to extract. These are Lapua brass, fire formed, neck sized only, used multiple times. Trimmed to 2". Nominal powder loads.

This also happens on other reloads, but factory rounds work fine. I end up with brass shavings on the face of the bolt, sometimes a lot! I think I had similar problems on a previous model 700.

I would suspect minimal headspace on the rifle, but why would this happen with fireformed loads? The brass should fit perfectly!

If I complain to Remington, I would imagine that they would say to stop using reloads!

Any bright ideas?

Thanks
Dave
Old June 17, 2001, 02:28 PM   #2
swifter...

Dave,

You said necksized, used multiple times...
Without knowing how many "multiple" is, it may be as simple as just needing a periodic trip thru the full length sizer. Lots of chambers need cases FL sized every 2-5 or ?? necksizings.
Or you may want to magic marker a case all over, chamber it, and see where the rub is... Should give you a better idea, anyhow.
Hope this helps,
Old June 17, 2001, 10:24 PM   #3
Big Bunny

RE-Check OAL and case length urgently maybe.

Yes- try FLS, I agree Swifter.

[The words 'Head Separation' and KaBoom also comes to mind.]

BB
Old June 18, 2001, 12:41 AM   #4
Archie

Neck sizing only, after....

a while will push the shoulder forward.

This does not particularly imply head separation, but I would check all the same.

Try a minor FL size to move the shoulder back a couple thousands. Just so it chambers easily.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old June 18, 2001, 09:34 AM   #5
bfoster

Dave,

If the rifle is used in competition, you might want to consider using one of the specialty dies made by Redding which sets the shoulder back without sizing the case.

If the rifle is used for hunting, I'd agree with Archie: simply set the shoulder back with your full length die enough to ensure easy chambering, but not necessarily with the die screwed down until it contacts the shellholder. Do watch for signs of case stretching.

Bob
Old June 18, 2001, 11:34 AM   #6
Dave P

FL Sizinf

OK guys, I think I got the picture: neck sizing works most of the time, but a FL re-size may be required every 5th time (or so).

Most of my brass has been used about 8-10 times so far. No signs of head separation at all. Cracked necks also do not happen (knock -on-wood!).

I will try FL sizing a few tonight. And, I have a Lyman case gauge on the way, and I would expect it to show some long cases, too.

Thanks, a bunch! I think I have learned a lot in the 1 yr of reloading, but there is always more!
Old June 18, 2001, 05:44 PM   #7
Bogie

The correct way to FL resize:

Take the guts out of your bolt. Sinclair sells a tool to do this. Basically, you can then stick your bolt back in your rifle, and it'll just fall into battery - Nothing's getting cocked, etc...

That's how you feel what's going on.

Okay. Now that you've done that, lube up a few cases. Screw your die into your press, and then back it out about a half a turn. Size a case. Chamber it. Does it still go in hard? Tighten your size die down a little, and size the case again. When the bolt will close with just a little finger pressure, that's the perfect amount of sizing. Lock your die down, and size and test a fresh round. Is it good? Cool. That's your setting, and it just "bumps" the case a little, meaning that your brass will last significantly longer.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old June 19, 2001, 06:43 AM   #8
Dave P

Re-size

Bogie, good idea!

I did re-size, and now every case fits just fine.

Thanks again, all!

Dave