The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 11, 2001, 11:41 PM   #1
bad_dad_brad

Glock Slide Finish

Sometime in 1999 Glock changed the finish technique for the slides of their pistols.

Prior to this time, the slide treatment had been a tenifere finish on gun metal steel, then a very rough dark gray parkerized finish on top. I have a G17 like this. Very sexy in it's own way, like a F15 Eagle Flat Tactical Gray.

Then sometime in 1999 Glock finished the the slide with a nice smooth black diamond finish. I have a G19 like this.

What gives. Does anyone have an explanation?

I know something has changed. All the new Glocks have this new finish, but every picture of the older glocks have this gray parkerized treatment.

P.S. If you have the chance to buy a Glock field knife, do so. They are only 28 bucks and are so so cool. I have two.
Old June 11, 2001, 11:45 PM   #2
Tecolote

Still Tenifer

The Tenifer finish hasn't changed. The top coat has gone through changes. The latest is some kind of polymer that's smoother as you say, and a lot tougher. It resists holster wear a lot better.
Old June 12, 2001, 12:22 AM   #3
PreserveFreedom

They probably did it so the uneducated morons at HCI could see the shiny parts and say, "Hey, maybe that isn't a plastic gun that can go through airport security!"

Old June 12, 2001, 06:28 AM   #4
Tom B

There are two trains of thought on this : 1.Glock contracts the slides out for finishing and they changed contractors or the contractor changed finishes for whatever reason. 2. Glock entered into an agreement with government to install a finish that would retain fingerprints better for LE purposes. Whatever the case Glock plays deaf,dumb and blind about the whole matter!
Old June 12, 2001, 06:31 AM   #5
BB

My late-2000 model 20 has park over tennifer, just like every other Glock I've owned in the last 10 years.
Old June 12, 2001, 09:45 AM   #6
LawDog211

I recently recertified

Quote:
There are two trains of thought on this : 1.Glock contracts the slides out for finishing and they changed contractors or the contractor changed finishes for whatever reason. 2. Glock entered into an agreement with government to install a finish that would retain fingerprints better for LE purposes. Whatever the case Glock plays deaf,dumb and blind about the whole matter!

All these are incorrect: Glock does not contract any parts out. And they entered into no agreement with gov.

Glack says they changed the finish because the old way tended to show holstering, it made a shiny place on the slide sometimes, this did not effect the tenifer corrosion protection but it made the guns look poor and most people didnt understand that the colored finsh is for looks not protection, the tenifer can not be worn off.

Glock says the finishing tech is more durable and will hold up better.

I learned this from going through the recert class for glock armorers, one of my class mates asked this question.

Old June 12, 2001, 10:40 AM   #7
Tom B

When Glock refinished a slide for me in a poor manner and was called on it they told me that they contracted the slides out for the finish. They also stated at the time via phone that they were not using any type of different finish on the new slides even though it was quite apparent that they were. They also stated to me that new slides were contracted out and several different contractors had been used over the years. This was for the black phosphate finish not the tennifer. I also doubt that if any government agreements had been reached that Glock would be announceing that at a 2 day armorers course taking into account the S&W fiasco. On the other hand I have no firm evidence to validate such an agreement. One of my G19s has the new finish and it shows holster wear just as much as my second gen G19.
Old June 12, 2001, 11:08 AM   #8
Tecolote

Two Different Issues

Glock applies the black finish over Tenifer in Austria. It's an in-house process. If you send your slide to Smyrna for refinishing they'll send it to a subcontractor. They're not about to send it all the way back to Austria for something that can be done here.

I don't know if all anew Glocks are getting the polymer finish or not. If you can't tell a difference than you don't have the new finish. It's a lot like the finish on nonstick pans, except not as shiny. To me it's a big approvement as it resists holster wear very well. The Glocks I've handled with the new finish don't show any signs of holster wear despite repeated presentations from snug leather and kydex holsters.

Glock is notorious for not admitting to changes. They're very secretive about their manufacturing process and changes. Who can blame them for trying to beat out the competition.
Old June 12, 2001, 11:19 AM   #9
WalterGAII

I recently bought a seven-year-old G17. It has exactly the same finish as my new, FG/R G21 and my daughter's new G26. Glock officially denies that there have been any changes. If you oil the old finishes, they look just as black as the new ones.
Old June 12, 2001, 04:19 PM   #10
skevlar

Glock has recently added Teflon to the phosphate surface finish that makes it appear shinier and slicker.
Old June 12, 2001, 04:32 PM   #11
INDIAN BOB

Glock Carbine?????????

I recently saw a picture of the new Glock facility in Austria and in the caption there was mention of the 100 meter range; do they need a 100 M. range for Handguns??????????
Old June 12, 2001, 05:15 PM   #12
bad_dad_brad

Thanks everyone. I think both finishes are sharp, and I am glad I have an example of both.
Old June 12, 2001, 07:25 PM   #13
PreserveFreedom

Quote:
do they need a 100 M. range for Handguns??????????
You are forgetting about the Glock 17L and 22L. That longer slide/barrel makes you wanna expand your horizons a bit, I would imagine.

Old June 13, 2001, 12:39 PM   #14
LawDog211

Next CHA CHUNG

Quote:
I also doubt that if any government agreements had been reached that Glock would be announceing that at a 2 day armorers course taking into account the S&W fiasco
Wasnt a 2 day armor course I attended, it was 14 day Glock instructors course for Glock, Advanced armorers and Instructors, and The man instructing is the chief armorer at Glock USA, and the course was at Glock USA in symaria.GA, and the question here was specifically asked buy a instructor in the class and answered by the man who should know

Glock rep's stated in the class that Glock would not ever come into a agreement with any gov such as S&W, and spent several min making fun of S&W ( and me since my briefcase is a aluminum S&W briefcase).

Old June 13, 2001, 12:47 PM   #15
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Indian Bob-
I sent you a PM several days ago. Your email addy is invalid. Yet you continue to check "Email Notification" each time you post. Therefore, every response to any thread in which you participate bounces back to the server and, ultimately, me.

I've turned your posting privileges off to get your attention. Once you correct your email addy in the User CP, let me know. I'll be glad to set your privileges straight. Meantime, I'm still getting bounced email for you.
Rich Lucibella