Minox 2 3.64%
Nikon 9 16.36%
Bushnell 2 3.64%
Other 13 23.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 31, 2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Recoiljunky

Help me choose a new rifle scope

Hello, I am looking at getting a new rifle scope for my deer/target rifle in 7-08 using Nosler 140gr acubonds I have it narrowed down to 4. Suggestions on other scopes are welcome just keep low magnification at 3 or below and high magnification at 10 or above with adjustable parallax. The four I found are Bushnell Elite 2.5-16x42 milldot 30mm, Nikon Monarch 7 2.5-10x50 SF BDC XR turret, Leupold VX-6 3-18x44, Minox ZA 5 HD 3-15x50. The Leupold is the higher end of my budget. Thanks.
Old August 31, 2014, 05:07 PM   #2
TXAZ

Quality seldom fears time.
Old August 31, 2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Unlicensed Dremel

The VX-6, of course.

But I have the Elite 6500 in the 2.5-16x50 config and it's pretty nice. No experience with others.
Old August 31, 2014, 09:51 PM   #4
Savage99

I prefer Leupold hunting riflescopes.

I have had many scopes over the last 60 years and Leupold is still in business, a USA company and backs up their products.

The name on the Kowa scope I had was so large and garish. I returned it.
Old August 31, 2014, 11:12 PM   #5
handlerer2

Leupold scopes have as as long as I have been shooting scoped rifles been known as quality optics and still are. I have owned Leupold, Weaver, Nikon, and Vortex scopes. All were perfectly serviceable.

The only thing that irks me is that Leupold tried to deny using Jap glass. It is no disgrace to admit using the best glass you can get for the money. Leupold lost much credibility in its denial of using Nikkor glass in their scopes. I now wonder if any of their lower end scopes are even made in America. In my opinion there's not a dimes worth of difference between Nikon, Leupold, Vortex or Weaver optics.
Old August 31, 2014, 11:28 PM   #6
Jim243

Quote:
In my opinion there's not a dimes worth of difference between Nikon, Leupold, Vortex or Weaver optics.

Basically it's the coatings on the lenses that make them different, not the glass they are all ground to the same spec's.

Jim
Old September 1, 2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Recoiljunky

Adding another scope to choices. how does the sightron S TAC 2.5-17.5X56IRMH
compare to the rest of these?
Old September 1, 2014, 12:22 PM   #8
taylorce1

Are you a turrent twister or set it and forget it guy? What's your reticle preference? What kind of target shooting do you want to do with the rifle?
Old September 1, 2014, 12:34 PM   #9
Recoiljunky

I am intending this to be a hunting scope out to 300 yards and a target and competition out to 600 yards I do like to use the turrets for drop and the reticle for rangefinding. I am not picky on the reticle as long as it's easy to estate range with. I do prefer milli rad to moa but I can be happy with eather. I am not so picky on low light ability as I will only use it in the daytime. I am more concerned about durability and precise repeatable turrets.

Last edited by Recoiljunky; September 1, 2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old September 1, 2014, 03:52 PM   #10
603Country

I think you want a Vortex scope, and I'm a long time Leupold fan. My most recent scope is the Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP. That one will do everything you want, plus has illumination. That rascal has knobs and such all over it. This will be my first hunting season with it, and so far I've just popped a few pigs and coyotes. What I don't know for sure yet is whether I am going to prefer SFP (all my Leupolds) or FFP.
Old September 1, 2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Huffmanite

Nothing wrong with any of the 4 scopes you've asked about.

But you might want to consider a Weaver Super Slam 3-15 x 42 or 50 with ebx reticle. Own several of the Super Slam scopes, Japanese made by Light Optics Works. They have nice optics and you'll like the pull-up turrets for windage/elevation that track well. Its worth a look.
Old September 1, 2014, 04:56 PM   #12
Paul B.

I just bought a Minox ZA5 2-10x40 PLEX and so far I like it a lot. I'm doing some work with a 7x57 M70 FWT and when that's done the Minox will be on that rifle. Currently it has a Leupold 2x7 on it that has worked flawlessly. Most of my serious rifles have Leupolds in the 3x9 variety but a couple have Nikons. So far I like them all. I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the scopes you've posted.
Paul B.
Old September 1, 2014, 09:10 PM   #13
taylorce1

SWFA Super Sniper 3-15X42
Old September 1, 2014, 09:10 PM   #14
Cowboy_mo

+1 for Paul B

If a retailer near you handles both Minox and Leupold, I suggest you go there, compare them side by side & looking through them, and compare the price.

I have 2 Minox 3 x 9 x 40's. Love them both. Love the price and lifetime warranty just like Leupold.
Old September 3, 2014, 10:38 AM   #15
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
In my opinion there's not a dimes worth of difference between Nikon, Leupold, Vortex or Weaver optics.
Blanket statements like this, which are often made, are meaningless without identifying the specific LINE within a brand that you're talking about - what you say may or may not be true, depending on which line compared to which lines. There are huge, massive, giant, incredible differences in qualities and features between LINES within the same brand, often made in different factories and/in in different countries even. Bushnell Elite Tactical is a fine fine mo-sheen. Bushnell Sportview....notsomuch.

But each BRAND has varying degrees of magnitude of difference of quality among LINES, from the top to the bottom ... I can assure that the lowest Leupold or Nikon lines (Rifleman & Prostaff) are MUCH better than the lowest Weaver line, which is junk. Some Weavers are pretty good and good values though. Not sure about the lowest Vortex line though - no experience.

It's just way to simplistic to say *anything* about the quality or features of *any* brand of scope without specifically identifying the line you're talking about, each and every time.
Old September 3, 2014, 06:56 PM   #16
handlerer2

I suppose that you're right. I didn't specify which line of scopes I was referring to.

In my case I was referring to Leupold VX3, Nikon Monarch,Vortex Viper PST, and weaver Classic K series of scopes. I have two Monarchs, one Weaver, one Vortex, and one Leupold. That's presently, I have owned dozens of Leupold and Nikons past. All Monarchs or VX3's of differing magnifications.

All have excellent warranties, though I have never in 39 years ever had to use the warranty, on any scope, regardless of who made it or where it was made.
Old September 3, 2014, 09:39 PM   #17
std7mag

I just purchased a Redfield Revenge 4-12x42 with the Accu-Range Varmint reticle.

Love this thing!

Can range find out to 600 yards, in the scope. Optics good, eye relief good.
Positive click turrets, that are resettable to zero. Oh, and according to owners manual has 50moa adjustment.

Best of all....

MSRP from Redfield is $279

Picked up on sale from Midwayusa for $139 plus free shipping.

Put it on the 7mm-08 Stevens. Planning on getting a second one for the Rem Mag!!
Old September 4, 2014, 01:57 PM   #18
CowTowner

I gotta go with Vortex. Pick one in your budget range and you're good to go.
Old September 4, 2014, 07:11 PM   #19
Recoiljunky

is there any evedence to whitch scope will track perfectly and beable to take a beating? also noticing nightforce is making a $950 scope the SHV any thoughts on it?
Old September 6, 2014, 09:54 PM   #20
damienph

Scopes

Withthe four scopes that you are considering, I don't really believe that it matters which one you buy. When all else is the same, I still prefer Leupolds.
Old September 7, 2014, 08:34 AM   #21
hooligan1

I dig Leupold scopes but I really dig Vortex Vipers, my safe has 5 HS scopes in it......yep they're heavier, and clear and repeatable and easy to operate and.................
Old September 7, 2014, 09:06 AM   #22
AllenJ

Another Leupold vote! I've been using them for over 30 years and have nothing but praise for them.
Old September 7, 2014, 09:42 AM   #23
longknife12

I've been using Leupold for 40+ years. Never have had a problem! They have been on .222 to .338 Mag.
Dan
Old September 8, 2014, 02:18 AM   #24
trg42wraglefragle

In the price range you seem to be looking there are a lot of good scopes that will last you a life time. You could just pick any and you would be happy.

But to get more precise advice you need to give more info.
You said hunting to 300 yards, all the scopes will be fine for that, but you said targets to 600yards.

What reticle do you want?
Do you want exposed turrets, or tall capped or short capped, or a Ballistic turret? There for need to track perfectly?
Is weight or size an issue?
Do you want illumination?

I would say the VX6 would be my choice, but if you want something for targets the 3-18 model mainly has hunting reticles that may not be best for targets, and it doesn't have turret that are quite right for serious target work.
Old September 8, 2014, 02:39 AM   #25
Bennyfatsack

Vx-6