The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 2, 2014, 09:23 AM   #2851
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Whatever his motives may have been it needed to be done and I cannot fault him for that.
I can. They went for the political brass ring and tried to take Holder down.

Had they set their sights lower and started with the Phoenix field division, they might have gotten answers. They also might have been able to attain dismissals and prosecutions for the people who carried out the operation.

But nooooo...they had to jump straight to the top, and Holder was able to insulate himself. The end result was a full stop to the investigation, with no meaningful action taken.
Old August 2, 2014, 07:13 PM   #2852
alan

The following has likely been mentioned before however it strikes me as appropriate for repeat, though perhaps it is rather "shop worn" today.

Operation Fast and Furious has been covered up by Obama et al, giant fox holes having been dug for all that needed them, I suspect that the total thereof would be significant. In any event,The Fix Is In, and it is unlikely that anyone worthy of/deserving punishment will ever receive same.

The foregoing strikes me as more than a little sad, but then I might be slow to learn, likely I am, either that or naive, despite having lived a fairly long life, a relatively unsheltered one at that.

One thing/question remains in my mind, possibly a dumb one, but here it is, for whatever it might be worth. How can I pull so outrageous a stunt, and get away with it? Would "friends in high places" be a helpful starting point?
Old August 2, 2014, 07:40 PM   #2853
g.willikers

Since this whole fiasco has dragged on for so long, is it possible that it has attracted more attention and caused more lack of respect for the administration, than it would have, otherwise??
Old August 4, 2014, 09:22 PM   #2854
KyJim

Quote:
Since this whole fiasco has dragged on for so long, is it possible that it has attracted more attention and caused more lack of respect for the administration, than it would have, otherwise??
Actually, I think it is part of a larger pattern but I'm not going there because we don't do politics here.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old August 21, 2014, 10:29 AM   #2855
CowTowner

Based on an article on foxnews.com here: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...mp=latestnews#
U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson has ordered the Justic Dept to turn over to the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee a list of documents related to Fast & Furious.

Not the documents themselves, but a list of them.
Is the DOJ's amour stating to fail? Could we actually gain some traction here?
Old August 21, 2014, 02:07 PM   #2856
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Not the documents themselves, but a list of them.
That is actually the normal course of action when you claim you are withholding production of information due to legal privilege. You are supposed to produce a log showing what documents you are withholding and what privilege applies.

It is a sad statement on DOJ that they had to have a judge order them to take even that basic step after over a year of foot dragging.

Tags
atf , fast and furious