The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 9, 2014, 10:39 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
What is your favorite DAO trigger?
I'm on the other side of the coin. I don't have a favorite DAO trigger, in fact, I don't have a single DAO firearm. I have shot some (friend's guns) but overall, I am unimpressed. In my personal life, its a solution to a problem I don't have. And, after over 40 years of doing things my way, I see no point to changing now. In fact, shooting a DAO pistol worries my hindbrain, who is expecting the hammer to stay cocked, and when it sees it isn't whispers "the gun is broken!" in the back of my mind.

If you think DAO is useful to you, wonderful. Others must, as well, that's why they make them. But there's no use for them, for me.
Old August 9, 2014, 08:10 PM   #27
Venom1956

I have SAO DA/SA etc, but DAO is just something I dont seem to have in an auto and for the sake of completeness I require one example. Preferably a nice example.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old August 9, 2014, 09:10 PM   #28
aarondhgraham

The more I shoot it,,,

The more I shoot it,,,
The more I like my Ruger LC9.

Everyone says what a terrible pull it has,,,
I'll admit it's somewhat lengthy,,,
But it's also very consistent.

By that I mean I have practiced enough with it,,,
That now I can stop and hold just before the release.

It's a long pull but very smooth and predictable,,,
I hold the sight on target better than I would have thought.

I'm getting quite a bit of practical accuracy with the gun.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 11, 2014, 05:34 PM   #29
wpsdlrg

DAO is certainly an "acquired taste", as they say. It's not for everyone, but for those who do like it and are used to it....it does just fine. I am one of those people. But I am also someone that thinks the standard Glock trigger is just fine as is - so go figure.

Others don't like DAO, or can't master it, etc.....and that is just fine, too.
We are lucky, IMO, that such variety exists - everyone can find his/her favorite system and the one that works best for them. And that is really what it's all about, anyway, isn't it ?
Old August 11, 2014, 10:11 PM   #30
TennJed

Sig P250
Old August 13, 2014, 08:33 PM   #31
mxsailor803

To me, if you can shoot a DA revolver, you should be able to shoot a DA semi. I grew up on DA wheelguns, so a DA semi was easy for me. With that said, I have 2 DA semis, P250 and P229 DAK SAS. I really like both of them a lot.
Old August 14, 2014, 10:47 AM   #32
Venom1956

I did try the P250 the other day and other then the cheap feeling of the poly lower I really like the gun.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
Old August 14, 2014, 11:14 AM   #33
kcub

I hate DAO. I would say light LEM because it's the least DAO like.

The only DAOs I have now are for back pocket guns, Seecamp and micro desert eagle because nothing else sucks less in that role.
Old August 14, 2014, 12:14 PM   #34
pat701

Sig P250. And for the price it is a best buy IMHO!!!
Old August 14, 2014, 07:39 PM   #35
KeeperOath

A Great Stock DA Trigger:

I think Kahr pistols have the best and smoothest out of the box triggers on the market today. They get even better with use. I love my Kahr pistols for their shoot-ability.
Old August 14, 2014, 09:23 PM   #36
PK380

SIG P250

The P250 trigger is extremely smooth. These are a great buy at current street pricing.
Old August 14, 2014, 09:28 PM   #37
DT Guy

+1 on the Kahr; best DA trigger of any type, and my revolvers generally had 6-7# DA pulls. The Kahr is essentially what a DA pull *should be* in a perfect world, IMHO.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old August 14, 2014, 10:03 PM   #38
Venom1956

It depends on what kind of kahr it is tho. Certain kahrs are DAO others are just glock like strikerfired ones
Old August 15, 2014, 01:49 AM   #39
RX-79G

Quote:
It depends on what kind of kahr it is tho. Certain kahrs are DAO others are just glock like strikerfired ones
BS. All Kahrs are partially cocked striker fired pistols.

Please back up your claim.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:24 AM   #40
Venom1956

Bah you're right. I just read an article about the 'new' DAO kahr mk9 and I was all excited about it. Just checked it sku against the regular one. NOPE. I swear.
So much for that.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...view-kahr-mk9/

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/27405 Then this was the link it redirected me too...

but yes all RX is right all kahrs then are partially cocked Least the six I've had or used... which was why I was so excited about this 'new one' Silly me for believing the internet.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:52 AM   #41
pete2

I don't like any I've tried but haven't tried them all. They just aren't like the D/A on a revolver for some reason. I do have an LC9 and I can live with it but good it ain't.
Old August 16, 2014, 09:55 PM   #42
5whiskey

I hear a lot about the Sig P250. Never touched it but I have a P290 issued to me for plain clothes stuff right now. It has a decent DAO trigger... but it is a little "too long." Like, when you pull it back you're like "when on earth is thing going to break?" That's not exactly a bad thing for a SD gun... but I think they went overboard with it.

It is smooth, though. Really long, a little heavier than needed, but smooth. It is a very accurate gun though... I can shoot it better than my Kahr CW9. I was surprised.
Old August 16, 2014, 10:04 PM   #43
Darker Loaf

Maybe my Kahr K9 isn't a true DAO only, but it's very DAO-like. I'd say my K9 Leet if I could.

I'm expecting to like my new 986's DA, but it's not DAO, either. Who knows? Maybe I'll make it DAO.

I agree that Beretta DAO 92 was an awesome DAO trigger. It was a real argument for the type.
Old August 18, 2014, 10:05 AM   #44
DMZX

P250. Long smooth and consistent.

Better than the DA trigger on my GP100.

Second place goes to LCR.

Almost as good as my DA gold standard, M29.

Last place goes to LC9.

Not a bad DAO trigger, but I can feel the trigger bar, which annoys me a bit.

BTW, I like the DAO and the premise. I also enjoy putting in the range time to master them.
Old August 18, 2014, 10:53 AM   #45
Cyanide971

Have only dry fired a P250 but it was simply amazing.

Not a true DAO, but love my Walther P99QA! The Beretta 96D I had years ago was pretty good as I recall.
Old August 18, 2014, 06:37 PM   #46
sigpro2340

A traditional trigger cocking double-action-only (DAO) design using a Browning-style locked breech, the CM9 is a simple and straightforward pistol. No external safety and no magazine disconnect, so it will fire a chambered round with the magazine removed.

I shot 100 round through the little "frog lubed" 9mm last week with no issues whatsoever ..
Old August 18, 2014, 09:59 PM   #47
wpsdlrg

Hate to burst your bubble, Sigpro, but the CM9, nor any of the Kahr pistols, is "a traditional trigger-cocking DAO design". All of the Kahrs are partially cocked by slide movement....the trigger completes the drawback of the striker hook, then releases it. By no means is that "traditional DAO" (which would involve full cocking of the action by trigger only, as well as releasing the striker or hammer). The Sig P250 is the closest ( of the semi-autos) to a "traditional" DAO design.

Not to say that the Kahr has a bad trigger, not at all. It is one of my favorites. But, it isn't "traditional trigger cocked DAO".
Old August 19, 2014, 12:35 PM   #48
Venom1956

Its a real shame. Its not like A DAO trigger is bad. No one seems to give it the time of day.
Old August 19, 2014, 09:30 PM   #49
Cyanide971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom1956 View Post
Its a real shame. Its not like A DAO trigger is bad. No one seems to give it the time of day.
You can say that again, Venom! Seems most everyone is hung up on the notion that if you don't have a striker fire pistol with a blade trigger safety it can't possibly be worthwhile.
Old August 21, 2014, 11:50 PM   #50
smokemup

I'm a Boberg XR9-S fan. Best true DAO trigger I have ever felt as well as being a super soft shooter. True +P rated handgun that holds 8 rounds. And has a 3.3" barrel with an overall length of only 5.1". Pricey though.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did, and not screaming and yelling like the passenger's in his car.