The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 14, 2014, 08:28 AM   #126
Spats McGee
Staff

Going back to the OP

The original question:
Quote:
Just wondering if folks feel the same way about the 40 S&W as you did say 10 years ago?
Yes, I still feel the same way. There's nothing wrong with .40. It's within "Spats McGee's Window of Acceptable Parameters." IOW, it would do the job if I needed it to. I just don't have a use for it, though. If I want more capacity, I'll go 9mm and if I want something larger-bore, I'll go .45 acp.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old August 14, 2014, 01:11 PM   #127
jmstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker_two View Post
The recent ammo shortage has changed my mind about owning a .40S&W. While I still want a pocket 9mm, I may also get a .40S&W full-size gun and a 9mm barrel so I can keep in practice no matter what.

BTW, what model gun does best with the .40S&W/9mm conversion barrels?
I don't know about any models other than the glock, but my g22 an BarSto conversion barrel work without a flaw. And my AA .22 conversion too end works well on it too. If you are thinking of conversions, consider .22lr top ends also. Just a thought.
Old August 14, 2014, 02:01 PM   #128
N R A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Boy View Post

Owning guns in calibers is, to me, mindless. No more meaningful than owning roller skates in different colors.
Ok, making fun of my rainbow rollerskate collection is making it personal. Lol
Old August 15, 2014, 10:00 AM   #129
Skans

Quote:
Wow. Not quite a caliber war yet. Almost. Not quite......
I think 40SW is an okay cartridge. I think 9mm stinks.
Well, Bongo, looks like you made it a caliber war.

Quote:
Owning guns in [different?] calibers is, to me, mindless. No more meaningful than owning roller skates in different colors.
Yep...until you find out that no one carries replacement bearings for your red roller skates, but if you had the white ones too, you could find bearings everywhere. Should have bought the red and white roller skates so that you wouldn't miss out on Tuesday night Nickel-Beer Skate with Fleegle, Drooper and Snork.

Last edited by Skans; August 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old August 15, 2014, 10:37 AM   #130
Wishoot

I don't have a strong opinion about 40 S&W one way or the other.

It's a round I could take or leave and probably on the bottom of the list as far as calibers I own. The only reason I shoot it today is because I own a S&W 4006 and I really like the gun. That being said, if someone made me the right offer, I would be okay to part with it.
Old August 15, 2014, 01:58 PM   #131
RX-79G

Quote:
I think 9mm stinks... If I am attacked by someone with a lethal weapon, I'd be happy to be armed with 9mm.
So, what about 9mm stinks? Too little recoil for range thrills?
Old August 15, 2014, 03:52 PM   #132
UncleEd

Yup,

Didn't like it when it first came out and I tried it in a Sig.

Years later, didn't like it when I tried it in a Beretta 96.

I wonder how many people today who tout it use the lightest bullet
weights. What are they now, just around the same weight as a 147 9mm?

Stick with the .45 ACP or the 9 mm Luger if you're into autos.

Or even the .357 Sig! Oh my gosh.
Old August 15, 2014, 04:33 PM   #133
imp

I've owned a couple of .40's, but no longer. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but its not a big enough step up from 9mm to stock another caliber in my ammo closet.

Besides, I prefer 9mm in a small gun, its easier to control and holds a couple more rounds. In a full size handgun, I want a full size cartridge, not a compromise.

But it is easy to see why LE agencies like the middle of the road approach when it has to arm and train a large number of people with varying abilities and statures.
Old August 15, 2014, 04:35 PM   #134
Guv

It'll shoot a 155gr 200-300fps faster than a 147 9mm.
Old August 16, 2014, 02:48 PM   #135
FairWarning

Nope, I feel the same as I did 10 years ago-----still not interested.

That's not to say it isn't a good caliber, but there's nothing compelling enough for me to buy into it.
Old August 16, 2014, 07:49 PM   #136
Ruger45LC

Count me in as a bonafide fan of the .40 since day one, which for me was with my first pistol, a Glock 23.

I still love it, and really more so than at first because over the years I've become aware of the potential that the .40 S&W has. I won't go so far as to call it magical, but I do believe that for the platform size that the .40 offers the most and has the best ballistics.

Take the G23 as an example, as a handloader I can run a 200gr bullet to 800 fps and have velocity so light that nobody would ever call it snappy, it's got less recoil than probably any 9mm I've fired. Makes for a great "gamer" load and eats very little powder.

I can load it up with any number of premium hollow points and have a self defense setup that is impressive indeed. Or, much like 10mm, with the right powder you can sqeeze every last drop out of the .40 if it's more power you want. From a KKM 4" G23 bbl I can run a 200gr WFNGC hardcast to over 1150, which will penetrate enough to kill a LOT of critters. If I want some expansion, a 180gr XTP at 1200 fps from a 4" G23 is a powerhouse. From a G35 you can add another 100 fps to those numbers easily, while still eating less powder than a 10mm will.

No, it's not exactly a 10mm but it's not that far off either, and I submit that no animal will know the difference between 1200 fps vs 1300 fps with the same bullet. I only bring up the numbers to show how much ground the .40 can and does cover. It can be as easy to shoot as a 9mm or offer up essentially 10mm performance and to me, that's a good thing.

Repent America!
Old August 16, 2014, 09:58 PM   #137
Ruger480

Quote:
No, it's not exactly a 10mm but it's not that far off either
That's akin to saying mexico isn't exactly Texas but its not that far off either...on paper they may be right next to each other but in reality there's a world of difference between the two.
Old August 17, 2014, 12:46 AM   #138
Jim243

Well to actually answer your question, yes I feel different about it today, I no longer like it as a handgun caliber, too much flip and too much problems with pressure curves for reloading.

But I have found a NEW use for the 40 S&W that I absolutely LOVE. Better than ice cream with chocolate on it.

This - Hi-Point 4095 TS Carbine

Jim
Old August 18, 2014, 09:57 AM   #139
Cousin Toad

Everyone has a favorite & an opinion!

By far the .40 has been more available during the ammo crunch.

By far the .40 is the most used LE round and has been for a while now.

The civilian market generally adopts the new LE/Military trends and equipment, when available, this has been shown in the distant past and currently.

I like to think of the .40 S&W as the culmination of many if not all of the attributes of the modern pistol cartridges (yeah, everybody say, "compromise".)

I happen to like it and it other than .357 caliber it is my only centerfire handgun caliber.
Old August 18, 2014, 10:39 AM   #140
Colt46

Yes

Mostly from ignorance. Never shot one, but realized that the 10 MM as a service weapon was an odd choice by the FBI.

With quality 9MM ammo I'd say the need for the .40 is a little less than it used to be.
Old August 19, 2014, 09:03 PM   #141
rodfac

A good caliber for several reasons: good availability during the recent shortages; plenty of power for SD use in light weight guns. Smaller than the .45 acp case, it allows for larger capacity if that's your to your liking. It uses less powder and cheaper bullets than a .45 but only slightly more than a 9mm. Brass is easy to come by...just befriend a local LEO for help in this regard.

All that said, I've never found it to be as accurate as a good .45 and believe me I"ve tried. It's a more accurate in similar pistols than a 9mm but no where near as good and easy to load for as say any .45 acp, .44 Spl, .44 Mag, .38 Spl, .357 Mag or .41 Mag or even a .38 Super for that matter.

For control in SD use, multiple shots are about as difficult as a .45 acp...the 9mm being much more easy to control but with that round's lighter throw weight.

Guess that's about it...it's OK and I do prefer it to a 9mm, but I"ll take any revolver cartridge of .38 Spl or larger, or the .38 super and/or .45 acp for serious social engagements. The .40 would come after that list has been exhausted.

HTH's Rod
Old August 20, 2014, 01:32 AM   #142
Blackops_2

I pretty much have started out on 40. Shoot it better than i shoot my 45 or 9mm though that's probably attributed to lots of things: different guns, actions of fire, etc.

Now that said the first two handguns i fired which was all short of two maybe three years ago were a G21 & G22 gen 4. At the time i hated the 40. But i attribute this to the Glock's just not fitting me. The 40 seemed to recoil more and was much snappier which sent an irritating vibration down my wrist. The G21 didn't do that. So my dad and I split a gen 4 G21. The more i shot i the more i realized that it didn't fit me well. So it was uncomfortable to shoot and control. I later handled an M&P 40 and had it my head that i had to have it. Well it's one of the better impulse buys i've ever done because i can flat out shoot the thing. For me at least i shoot it better than any of the three handguns we have (SW 6906, G21, M&P40).

Long story short i started USPSA with my M&P 40 a year ago, despite taking a break picked it up some months back and it was like i had never stopped shooting. I flat out love the caliber. Maybe it's the fit of my M&P to my hand but i could shoot it all day long, it's very enjoyable and accurate. Also don't have to put up with the larger muzzle flip caused by the 45.
"Combined synergy of a man and rifle is matchless, the steadiness of hand and acuity of vision, and finally the art of knowing how to make the rifle an extension of the body, all equate to the ultimate synthesis of man and machine."

"Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back."
Old August 22, 2014, 03:57 AM   #143
FM12

Actually, I think the 40S&W is a pretty good round, in whatever bu;llet design or weight. A good combo of weight,velocity, and capacity. Whats not to like? I carry one on duty Glock22 and one off duty Sig 229 DAO and never feel under gunned. The DAO is like shooting a 12 shot 40 cal revolver with really fast reloads!!
Old August 22, 2014, 09:15 AM   #144
JC57

10 years ago I had no particular opinion about the 40 S&W. I now own a Glock 22 Gen 4 and find it to be a perfectly acceptable caliber. I have no problem with the recoil, it shoots well, and the ammo is readily available.

At the time I bought the gun (early 2010) I was looking for a full-sized auto in 9mm, but there was no 9mm ammo to be had. 40 was plentiful, though, so I figured I'd get a gun that I could find bullets for. I added a 9mm conversion barrel and some G17 mags and now it is a dual-caliber gun, again, primarily for ammo availability options more than anything else. Shoots fine with either caliber.

If I were ever going to actually use it for self defense, I'd prefer the .40 barrel and ammo be in it, and that's how I keep it set up, factory standard.
Old August 22, 2014, 09:30 AM   #145
WVsig

Don't shoot 40 S&W anymore. Owned a few just never fell in love with the caliber. Prefer 9mm and 45 ACP.
-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old August 22, 2014, 11:20 AM   #146
Alpena

I've warmed up to it but not fully. I view it the same way I view a 357 sig, nice concept but no great advantage to other cartridges. To me a 9mm or 45 can be used in most scenarios. I shot a range rental USP 40 my first time shooting a 40 and didn't feel a heavy recoil or "snapiness" others have described. I could've sworn it felt just like a 9mm. But I still wouldn't feel the need to own one as I have no use for it and didn't like the 10mm to begin with.