The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 16, 2014, 08:31 AM   #26
Aguila Blanca

Where are you guys seeing $225, or $230 shipped? When I click the link, I see $373 as the price.
Old August 16, 2014, 09:35 AM   #27
BumbleBug

Quote:
Where are you guys seeing $225, or $230 shipped? When I click the link, I see $373 as the price.
Yeah, me too???

Moot point though, because it is still junk at any price.
Old August 16, 2014, 09:59 AM   #28
DA/SA Fan

Sale's over. Glad it wasn't something you guys wanted!
Old August 16, 2014, 03:25 PM   #29
gyvel

Quote:
In 1952 a New Ruger Mark I cost $57.50. Adjusted for inflation today that's $517.16
Actually the "Standard" model was $37.50 and stayed there until into the 60s, after which it went up to $42.50.

The Mk I model was a low-end "target" gun.
Old August 16, 2014, 03:32 PM   #30
gyvel

SIG obviously eyeballed the supposed success of the flap caused by the introduction of other big name pot metal Zamak guns, and decided to get on the bandwagon of low production costs and big reliance on their "name" to make the big bucks.

Only it backfired.

And hopefully, the current trend of pot metal guns will fade into history as more people learn the hard way that die cast Zamak guns do not stand up to a lot of use in light of the facts that Zamak corrodes, both externally and internally, cracks and wears out quickly.
Old August 16, 2014, 04:23 PM   #31
AK103K

How much is a "lot of use" and how "quickly" is quickly?

Ive had my P22 and Mosquito for about 10 years now, and while wouldnt say they have had a lot of use, they have had a good bit of use, roughly two cases between them in that time, and they havent broken or worn out as of yet, and seem to still function fine.
Old August 16, 2014, 04:49 PM   #32
DonR

Thanks DA/SA Fan: expect I will clear $200 profit

Thanks DA/SA Fan for the heads up on this.

When I first went to the site, I though $225 with $5.99 shipping was bogus, or a mistake, even as it let me fill the shopping cart &etc.

I bought two, and expect I will clear $200 profit even after the transfer fees, reselling NIB. (!)

Got the confirmation on the sales!
Old August 16, 2014, 04:50 PM   #33
coldbeer

You can get an SR22 for about the same price that'll reliably shoot just everything from standard velocity CCI to thunderbolts.
Old August 16, 2014, 07:17 PM   #34
gyvel

Quote:
How much is a "lot of use...?"
No exact figure, but substantially less than a comparable steel gun, or even an aluminum one. Zamak items are made for one reason: They can be cast cheaply and give a reasonable service life to such things as window cranks, power tool and fan frames, etc.

Quote:
"...and how "quickly" is quickly?"
Again, it depends; If you have impurities in the castings, pretty quickly. Likewise, if constant battering causes work hardening of, for example, your slide, it's also gonna crack pretty quickly.

Bottom line: Manufacturers are using Zamak because it is cheap and quick to work with. They make the big bucks (as I stated), and you get something to play with for a while, but it is still a matter of when, not if, something "bad" is gonna happen to it. I've seen it more than once in my career, including a Zamak gun that was so badly corroded, it literally crumbled to pieces when the barrel was tapped on a carpeted sales counter in the shop where I did my repair work. If the poor old woman who owned that gun had fired it, it would have been a hand grenade. Another pot metal special came in the shop that was corroded shut with a live round in the chamber. Like a monumental dumbass, another one of the gunsmiths tried to fire it to dislodge the slide, and succeeded in having it come apart like a grenade and ended up with fragments of zinc in his hand. Luckily, no one else was hurt in the incident.

Another pot metal scam has been perpetrated for years by Marlin. The feed ramp on the Marlin/Glenfield Model 60s is Zamak and would wear out in short order. They were easy to fix, but the catch was that Marlin was constantly making "engineering" changes, so you had to buy a new bolt assembly to go with the "upgraded" Zamak feed block.

To you and anyone else who wants to buy a cheap toy to play with, go ahead, but don't delude yourself into thinking that your gun is going to last a lifetime. If you're lucky, it will wear out much more quickly and become unusable and economically unfeasible to fix without doing any harm to you, as opposed to a comparable steel/aluminum (and now, much to my disgust, plastic) gun.

What floors me about the current craze for Zamak guns is that even steel firearms have "blown up." Guns are, by design, machines that employ principles that operate on the edge of physics and metallurgy. Why would anyone want a gun made out an inferior metal?

All the above are just my opinion of Zamak guns, and my mind has yet to be changed about them based on what I have seen in the past.

As always: YMMV
Old August 16, 2014, 07:31 PM   #35
DA/SA Fan

DonR wrote:

Quote:
Thanks DA/SA Fan for the heads up on this.

When I first went to the site, I though $225 with $5.99 shipping was bogus, or a mistake, even as it let me fill the shopping cart &etc.

I bought two, and expect I will clear $200 profit even after the transfer fees, reselling NIB. (!)

Got the confirmation on the sales!