The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 16, 2014, 12:44 AM   #1
mendozer

S&W hunting holster

I'm taking my 5906 as my backup for a bear hunt tomorrow with a friend. I haven't worn it in my holster before and I could not get comfortable with it today at home. I have the Galco 3-way Cop holster. I have long legs and a shorter torso and this was just so annoying to draw and holster as well as it dug into my ribs. Because it rides so high I was wondering what to do for future hunts:

1) Thigh holster (I know tons of people hate them though)
2) Chest holster modified to attach via MOLLE system to vest
3) the waist holster that drops down, very low riding.

any tips from hunters?
Old August 16, 2014, 03:11 AM   #2
RX-79G

A military flap holster doesn't get in the way and protects the gun. Pretty much how people have been carrying handguns in the bush for 150 years. I think there's something to be said for not having something heavy pressing against your waist, leg, chest, etc.

An M7 chest/shoulder holster is another inexpensive, simple and flexible way to open carry a gun without it getting in the way.
Old August 17, 2014, 01:47 AM   #3
mendozer

hmm those M7s look comfortable in regards to positioning. However, they also look flimsy. If I have to rip it out as a cougar comes after me, is it just gonna twist and flex? looks like very thin webbing.

That's the advantage of the molle vest mounted one like G code or serpa or safariland. But they are also pricey
Old August 18, 2014, 12:50 AM   #4
mendozer

anyone use the nylon mollet holsters like uncle mikes or similar? They're $40 and under and would hook up to molle loops well. I just wonder about the adaptability with angle of insertion
Old August 18, 2014, 03:57 AM   #5
RX-79G

The M7 is all leather. There's no webbing. The bottom loop attaches to your belt to prevent twisting.
Old August 18, 2014, 04:12 AM   #6
mendozer

the more I think of this, I'm leaning towards the molle style holsters only because I plan to wear a vest anyways with stuff on it (gps, canteen, binos, knife, flashlight, other must have gear).

Otherwise for the cost the M7 would be a good choice.