The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 7, 2014, 05:07 AM   #51
Brit

When wearing/carrying a firearm, for the first time, it seems like a full sized brick! In weight, and shape! At one time, I thought about printing, Florida does not have that worry, law.

If carrying for self defense, we all do, yes? Forget the .45 on Monday, .380 in the pocket on Saturday, 9mm in a shoulder holster going to the movies, on Wednesday!

My advice, same gun, same place, spare magazine (more for malfunction reasons, than an extra 17 rounds!) 20 plus ounces of pistol, needs a good belt!

Wilderness, frequent flier belt, weighs nothing, no metal, 1.5" wide. My Choice, Glock 19 in 9mm, same pistol in IDPA completion, as carry.

IDPA competition once a month, 150 rounds, 8 stages, and again, same gun, same place.

Bid advantage, being retired!
Old August 7, 2014, 12:14 PM   #52
alex78

my rules of carry.

Brit,
I omitted perhaps the most important rule, AWARENESS. Be aware of your surrounding and people around you. After a while this becomes second nature.
Old August 7, 2014, 05:06 PM   #53
DannyB1954

Stay aware of your surroundings. Most people are caught by surprise because they were not paying attention to those around them.

As a test, think back to a couple of hours ago. Were you in a room with strangers in it? About how many were there? Where there more men than women, more younger than older? If you don't have a clue, you were probably not in a good position to deal with an unexpected problem if it had happened.
Old August 10, 2014, 06:22 AM   #54
Brit

Danny,

Friday evening, picked up two friend's, Man and Wife, they have lived were they live now for 20 years, destination, an Italian Restaurant.

Met two friends of theirs.

Now 3 couples, the place was full, when our table was ready, the best place at the table, in my estimation, was facing the entrance, I selected that seat at the booth, 3 and 3. My Wife along my left side.

The only chance of defending against any threat, was one from the street!

The owner, a Sicilian! A friend of our friends, joined us at the end of the table, close to me! For around 15 minutes, we chatted. I got the impression we had no worries here!

Reference total view of the room? Not so much.
Old September 14, 2014, 01:57 PM   #55
Brit

Alex 78,

I omitted awareness, I had that in spades, long before I carried a pistol!

Still there, gun or no gun.