The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 10, 2000, 06:12 PM   #1
Shawn Dodson

I just heard that Joe Zambone was involved in a fatal motorcycle/truck accident on February 7th while vacationing in New Zealand. Can anyone confirm this? This is sad news indeed, if true.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

Old February 10, 2000, 07:29 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

If true, that is sad news.

I'll move this to the General Discussion forum for more exposure....
Old February 10, 2000, 07:55 PM   #3
Branspop

Shawn,

I hope this is not true. I have had the pleasure of corresponing with Joe and found that he is one of the truly good folks of the world. If so, his richness of character will be sorely missed.
Old February 11, 2000, 01:35 AM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I used to know Joe Zambone pretty well.
A lot of ammo testing I did was with him.
This is sore news. Infact - this is a major shake up.
I feel ill.
Old February 11, 2000, 04:16 AM   #5
Oldspeed

I pray that the news in not true. Several years go I talked with Joe several times by phone. He was always excited about his products that were virtualy hand made. He and his family melted the Lead out of factory bullets and added shot and epoxy. I have his original videos of his ammo in action. In fact they were Beta format and I later recopied to VHS. He was a great pioneer in really custom handcrafted self defense ammo. I remember him telling me, amd also in his advertisements that he loved his world travels - his dogs - and his motorcycle. I was sorry to year a couple of years back that he had sold his business to someone in Flordia. I will always treasure my large collection of original Joe Zambone made Mag Safe Ammo. My "House Guns" remain loaded with his stuff.
If the tragic news is true I feel sure that Joe is up there melting the lead out of factory stuff and figuring out what color epoxy and what size shot to use this time.
" I truely nice man"
Old February 11, 2000, 11:43 AM   #6
TritonCartridge

It was verified last night that Joe Zambone (former owner of MagSafe Ammo,Co.) died as a result of a motorcycle accident in New Zealand on February 7th, 2000. After a relatively low-speed collision with a truck, Joe suffered two broken arms and a broken pelvis. Within a minute, a trauma doctor appeared on the scene, provided what assistance she could and called for a rescue helicopter which arrived almost immediately. Joe was coherent for a few minutes after the accident and told the doctor that he was not in need of any pain medication at that time. Joe's wife, Kay, was quickly at his side as she had been following in a van some distance behind (Kay did not actually witness the accident). Joe spent the last few coherent minutes of his life in conversation with his wife, there at the scene. Apparently, a bone shard had pierced the femoral artery in his leg and Joe expired from internal loss of blood aboard the helicopter while en route to the hospital.

Joe is survived by his wife, Kay, his daughter, Janna, his father, Joe Sr. and his mother, Jane.

Joe will be remembered by all, and missed by many.

Fernando

Old February 11, 2000, 12:59 PM   #7
DMSC

Very sad to hear it...we will remember the family in our prayers.
Old February 11, 2000, 02:58 PM   #8
Peter Collinson

Joe Z. died with his boots on, and he would not have had it any other way. He as much as said so in an e-mail to me late last year, the same one in which he said he and Kay would be in NZ 'til 15 February.

Since he sold MagSafe several years ago, he finally had enough money to do some things he wanted, including riding his beloved bikes all over several continents, and going balls-to-the-wall in his jet sprint boats in full crash and fire gear.

He was an engaging conversationalist and a lively adversary in debate about his ammo… as someone just said of him in another Forum somewhere, Joe was nothing if not convinced.

I will miss his rich e-mail reports of his post-MagSafe activities.

------------------
- Peter Collinson
Old August 6, 2014, 04:27 PM   #9
lexiwatkins

joe zambone

Hi my name is lexi and joe zambone was my uncle. Yes he did die from a motorcycle accident. He married my aunt kay. He was an awesome man and taught me how to shoot my first gun. Still miss him all the time.
Old August 6, 2014, 04:35 PM   #10
BarryLee

Welcome Lexi and sorry for your loss I know time heals, but we never forget our loved ones.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman