The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 21, 2014, 11:29 AM   #1
9x19

Mossberg MVP -Not bad

Thanks to the USPS (for nearly 4 weeks, they lost the letter containing my PMO), it took over a month to get this... great trigger, sloppy bolt travel, but a good shooter (surprise!). It's a 1/9 twist barrel and the Hornady 55 grain Soft Points did well.

If Ruger had offered their Predator with a shorter barrel in .223, I might not have bought the Mossberg, although I do like that it uses the AR mags.

Mossberg MVP Patrol - 5.56 - I removed the Williams sights, added the Vortex Diamondback scope, a Levang linear comp and a 10 rd Magpul mag (it will take the 20sand 30s as well of course).

Old July 21, 2014, 06:44 PM   #2
10-96

Those are neat rifles- I don't have any plans on getting rid of mine any time soon. I was pleasantly suprised at the stock, the way it fit me, the pistol grip, palm swell. I think they did good on this one.

I had just a bit of misgivings about it when I tried to compare it to my CZ 527's- but after I realized the Mossberg would be crazy expensive if they put the refinement into it as CZ does into theirs.

Congratulations on yours!

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old July 21, 2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Jim243

Here, here congratulations as well, you will have fun shooting it. Funny I put the same muzzle brake on mine, or did you just borrow it? (LOL)

Jim

Old July 21, 2014, 07:39 PM   #4
MarkCO

Like mine as well. Just wish that the muzzle was .740 so that the QD suppressor mounts would work without modification.
Old July 21, 2014, 07:59 PM   #5
rduckwor

Very decent rifles for the money. Mine shoots just fine.
Old July 21, 2014, 08:34 PM   #6
9x19

Glad to hear the rifle has performed well for others... Thanks for the comments.
Old July 23, 2014, 11:28 PM   #7
bamaranger

siren call

The MVP has been wooing me since they first came out. I read they shoot like a house-a-fire.

For me, the jury is still out on the floppy bolt flange.

, Mr. 9x19, the short box and the LeVang seem a nice set up.
Old July 24, 2014, 12:34 AM   #8
9x19

The bolt doesn't bind when cycling, and I really don't notice the sloppiness except at the full open position... One of these days my son and I are going to round up a few rifles and hit a range with greater distance than I have at home...

I also have a short (1" OAL) brake coming from Brownells I want to try.
Old July 24, 2014, 01:28 AM   #9
tahunua001

Quote:
great trigger, sloppy bolt travel, but a good shooter
this has been my experience with fondling and dryfiring. there is no word but sloppy to describe the bolt, trigger seemed fine and the fact that it takes AR mags is the main thing that always brings me back to looking at this rifle.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old July 24, 2014, 06:35 PM   #10
precision_shooter

Good looking rifle. May have to look into getting one, after I try yours of course... Do they make them in any other calibers? Maybe one that takes ar10 mags?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old July 24, 2014, 07:09 PM   #11
MarkCO

Quote:
Do they make them in any other calibers? Maybe one that takes ar10 mags?
.223 Remington, .300 Blackout and .308 Winchester.