The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 14, 2014, 11:22 AM   #1
JASPERADO

Model 66-4, 2 1/2" bbq gun

After purchasing my model 66-4 2 1/2" in pristine shape, not quite a month ago, I've decided it's to beautiful to ever fire it. Expecially after a few polishings with Mother's Mag and aluminum polish. It's turned out fantastic! A few more periodic polishings, and it'll look like chrome.Perhaps one of the prettiest guns I've owned. It was purchased for concealed carry, which it will be, as soon as the "wonderful" state of Florida gets off its dead ass, and sends my permit! 3 months waiting period is insane! What's even more insane is that Fl., its one of only 7 states that isn't open carry! Of course, lucky me to live here! Up until '87 it was open carry. I'm venting! Thanks for reading. Have a great week.
Old July 14, 2014, 11:47 AM   #2
jglsprings

Never fire a bar-b-Que gun?

How on earth would you ever start the rib eating contest without a starter pistol??

P.S.

We like pictures on TFL. Then everyone can post their Bar-B-Que gun or 66 snub.

Commas save lives...
Old July 14, 2014, 12:03 PM   #3

I've been around firearms for over 50 yrs., and it wasn't until I started participating on forums that the term BBQ Gun came up, and I wasn't quite sure exactly what it meant.

I now have a better understanding of the term.
Old July 14, 2014, 12:34 PM   #4
Cossack

My Grandpa carried a 2.5" model 66 as a Florida sheriff's deputy in Putnam County. They do hold up well with carrying, and it's hard to find a better compromise between carry-ability and shootability in a revolver. If you decide not to shoot it, you're going to have to go find another one to carry! (It's cousin, the model 65 with a 3" barrel, is another great choice)

Great find - post a photo!
Old July 17, 2014, 04:38 PM   #5
JASPERADO

Thanks Cossack. Yeah I know, but I will use it as a concealed carry gun. Just won't shoot it until, or should, the need arises. I may have mentioned that I've been polishing it with Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish, and it's coming out beautiful! I take it to work about once or 2wice a week and since I basically do nothing all day, I sit there and polish it. So when it gets to the point I want, which it may already be there, I'll post some pictures of it. Just posted some misc. photos of it and some grips. The wood ones are Ahrends Moradillo, the grips currently on the gun are Badger Rosewood, that I slightly modified by making them shorter w/o totally removing the pinky finger groove, and the really cool grips are Mother of Pearl made in Thailand. The Ahrends grips are $90, the Mother of Pearl are $100. Will be getting the Ahrends grips in about 2 weeks. Anyway hope you like.[ATTACH]unnamed 3.jpg[/ATTACH]

Last edited by JASPERADO; July 17, 2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old July 17, 2014, 05:06 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

BBQ Gun ??

Okay I'll bite: What's a "BBQ gun?"

(My guess: A gun that only gets taken out of the safe during BBQ's to show friends.)
Old July 17, 2014, 05:20 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

You have already ruined the resale value by polishing the gun. Shooting it certainly won't hurt it. You should ALWAYS shoot a gun that you will carry. Not doing so is foolish.
Old July 18, 2014, 01:05 AM   #8
skidder

Here is my recently acquired 66-1

Never had wood grips this comfortable before.

Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder