The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 4, 2014, 07:51 PM   #26
603Country

Now that I'm about to load up some of these bullets for my 220, I realize that the powder I want to use is R-17. I have no idea what min and max loads are for that powder. If any of you have info, I would sure appreciate it.

I'm going on the logic that the faster I can push the bullet, the better my chance to stabilize it and R-17 is the closest powder I have to 4350 - which would be the first choice for MV.
Old July 5, 2014, 03:36 PM   #27
Unlicensed Dremel

Barnacle, I took apart a Savage 24 once and lightened the pull, via both cutting the mainspring and working the engagement surfaces, and in the end came out great (went from around 15 lbs to less than 5), but *warning*. It is QUITE difficult to reassemble the receiver. Takes 3 hands, a vice, and some luck (and likely cursing & sweating). That's one job worth paying a professional for.

The more I think about it, the more I love this bullet for southern whitetails, for a variety of .224-cal rounds, not to mention speed goats as you proved. I'd go so far as to say that it breaths new life and purpose into the .22-250 as a cartridge, wouldn't you?

I may just follow suit on this project, but in a .223 rem.

Say, do you know Mr. Wyosmith?

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; July 5, 2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old July 6, 2014, 05:26 PM   #28
Barnacle Brad

Dremel, I used a piece of q-tip stick to hold the spring in the trigger, placed the trigger into the receiver and pushed the stick through with the pin.

I wish I had a trigger pull gauge, for before and after results working on the 24v.

As for breathing new life into the 250, I would agree that the effectiveness and success of the 64gr makes the caliber a more rounded tool and adds versitility. New life...I think so!

I do not know Wyosmith. Will have to check his profile for location.

603Country, I can't help with R-17 data. Go easy!

Last edited by Barnacle Brad; July 7, 2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old July 7, 2014, 07:59 AM   #29
Unlicensed Dremel

It says "Shoshoni" on Wyosmith's profile. OK, thanks - good technique on the Savage 24 - guess I was making it harder than it is.
Old July 7, 2014, 02:59 PM   #30
Barnacle Brad

Oh yeah - I have been through Shoshoni - it's between Riverton and Thermopolis. It's not so much in my neighborhood, but then in Wyoming...nothing is close! He would be more Wind River Range, to my Big Horn Range. Guys like Jim Bridger and John (Liver Eatin') Johnston used the region exploiting the fur trade...but I digress...
Old July 14, 2014, 05:08 PM   #31
Unlicensed Dremel

So you can fish on the Wind River Reservation for an annual tribal license fee, but what about hunting? I'm assuming no hunting if you're not a tribal member? Sorry, maybe this is too much tangent for this thread.
Old July 15, 2014, 02:41 PM   #32
Barnacle Brad

I have no first hand experience on the Rez. I have heard that fishermen are required a tribal permit, but that is the extent of my knowledge. There are a number of Wyoming residents on the forum. Maybe worth a new thread?