The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 7, 2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

Rage-Razor Tricks and other FrankenBroadheads

So there's a nice long thread on archerytalk about homemade FrankenHeads, so I thought I'd share mine here too.

I wouldn't make them again - too much work and they didn't come up perfectly balanced, but interesting experiment. Took 100 Rage 40KEs and added the front blade from Slick Trick Razor Tricks. They weigh about 118 gr. I made three and matched them to the spine of an arrow for a low-IBO 50 lb youth bow.

You can tell I didn't even cut my arrows straight on two of those, ugh. But I just made it as a fun thing for the youth bow - I shoot fixed heads 95% of the time. I decided that if I hunt with it, I will limit myself to 20 yards period. Course, the idea is, whether the mechs open or not, the fixed blade should be enough, and if the mechs open, devastating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg may 16th, 2014 036.jpg (164.6 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg may 16th, 2014 035.jpg (207.9 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; June 7, 2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old June 7, 2014, 07:56 PM   #2
6.5swedeforelk

You may want to re-read the forum's rules, basically item 1.
Old June 7, 2014, 09:15 PM   #3
Unlicensed Dremel

Oh. Oops. My bad.
Old June 7, 2014, 10:09 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yeah, well, this is the Hunt forum, and we've even been known to talk about them there fishy critters.
Old June 10, 2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Rage broadheads have horrendous penetration as designed. I can't imagine adding another blade to them.

The Slick Trick is probably the most accurate broadhead ever made, certainly in the top 3, and it penetrates like a hot knife through butter. Add up the length of it's blades and you're barely short of the Rage.

I used the Rage with a Hoyt Katera XL making 57 ft-lbs KE. Penetration was awful. I shot a nice (but small) buck quartering at 18 yards. The Rage didn't make it to the opposite lung. The blood trail was apparent but no more impressive than any other.

I've never had a Slick Trick fail to be in the dirt on the side and the trails are as good or better than anything else I've used. Accuracy, which is paramount, is better than anything else I've ever shot.

Anyhow, I could see doing this "Frankenbroadhead" thing if you could make something BETTER and/or cheaper than factory offerings but, unlike ammunition, I don't believe it's possible.
Old June 10, 2014, 03:14 PM   #6
Unlicensed Dremel

First, off, WHICH Slick Trick are you talking about? There are many models of Slick Tricks.

Second, it's an improvement over anything factory or I wouldn't have made it - not doing this for my health. Show me one head that employs this same principle (still a large cutting fixed blade even if the main mech cutters fail to open), which you think will penetrate more than this one, ceteris paribus?

Rages may have poor penetration as you say, but they're still BETTER penetrating than others mechs which open "front to back". It's all relative... Bad. Good. Just depends on what you compare it to. Ceteris Paribus, Rages penetrate as good as or better than MOST mechs.

This is an improved No Limit Archery Grave Digger, in essence. No, penetration will not be great, but this is a broadside-shot-only rig, and it's plenty for that on whitetails. And to me, since ALL mechs are broadside-only-shot propositions, this is better than other choices as far as mechs go (well it would be, if they had come out perfectly balanced).

Plus I used a 40 KE on purpose - there are many many rage types, with various blade lengths - the 40 KE has the narrowest cut and a more swept-back blade angle. This thing will penetrate better than most plain rages, and way better than most "front to back" opening mechs, if not 100% of them.
Old June 10, 2014, 03:28 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Second, it's an improvement over anything factory or I wouldn't have made it
Quote:
I wouldn't make them again

Interesting.

In any case, I have no interest in yet another A versus B argument. I'll only add that I'm talking mainly about the original Slick Trick and the original Rage but it really doesn't matter. Any Slick Trick is better than any Rage. If you don't think so, then we shall disagree.

Oh, and the AfterShock Hypershock will out-penetrate the Rage too. If I wanted a mechanical, they'd be it. (Personal experience with all 3, BTW Actually, 6 as I've used 2 versions of the Rage, 2 of the Slick Tricks and 2 of the Aftershock brand too)

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; June 10, 2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old June 11, 2014, 10:54 AM   #8
doofus47

I'm curious, do you think that the slick trick would slow down the arrow, if it hit bone for example, to a speed at which the rage might not deploy? I would think that you would need to put it on a shaft with a higher spine and try to shoot more poundage to make up for the potential failure.

can you shoot arrows into ballistic gelatin/newspaper and get any meaningful results?

Interesting design.
Old June 12, 2014, 12:05 AM   #9
bamaranger

expandables

Broadheads, are we talking boradheads? OK

I can't get excited about broadheads with moving parts, no matter who pushes them. I've seen too many relatively tough fixed blade points do odd things upon striking a whitetail, much less one that relies on mechanics to reach full potential. You know, that guy Murphy and all that.

I've got guys really pushing me to try the Rage, the Spitfire...they love'em. I've not budged. I just cannot get my head around a hunting point with moving parts, shot at variable angles, on a target that may well move at the moment of the shot.

No.....I am not shooting flint points!!!!!!
Old June 12, 2014, 08:05 AM   #10
old roper

Unlicensed Dremel, Have you looked at the Grave Digger.

http://nolimitarchery.com/shop/grave...sel-broadhead/
NRA Life Member
Old June 13, 2014, 01:55 AM   #11
bamaranger

search

Hey doofus,

Do some searching on Youtube about the assorted broadheads in penetration and shooting tests. There are some into gel and all sorts of destruction tests as well.
Old June 13, 2014, 07:17 AM   #12
03Shadowbob

It's always fun to tinker or try and make something better. Archers messing with broadheads is kinda like shooters working up new loads.
I have the Rage Hypodermics in the quiver along with Magnus Buzzcuts. There are plenty of pics and videos showing complete passthroughs with the Rages with wound channels no fixed blade would give.
The debate is akin to 45 vs 9 IMO.
Old June 13, 2014, 05:16 PM   #13
Unlicensed Dremel

As I say, I'm a fixed head guy myself, using VPA Terminators and Red Feather Phoenix heads 97% of the time. Don't really care for mechs, except maybe for turkeys. This is the exception to the rule. I'd probably only use it on turkeys if at all.

But yes, it is fun to tinker. Old roper, thanks - yes I mentioned this as a product-improved grave-digger. The point is that unlike the grave digger (and similar designs), there is no front-to-back opening (as mentioned), but rather simply the rage's slip-cam opening, which takes less energy (I believe); hence this being a theoretical improvement over something like the grave digger. That's why I made it - nothing in existence like it. I'm not a Rage guy - never used them and never would, by themselves - but this hybrid shows (theoretical) promise.

By the way, this year, I'm probably going to use VPA Term. 85s, VPA Term 125s, and FAA Toxic 100s on whitetails. Or at least try to get shots with same.

doofus47, possibly, yes. But it's just a function of all those same factors that go into penetration generally, of which there are many. It is a cut on contact rather than a chisel head, so it won't slow down much unless hitting bone. So admittedly, this is a head type for a bit stronger bow, rather than the 50 pounder I made them for....not the ideal matchup. Probaby reserve this just for turkeys.

The main drawback is they don't spin right now; not perfectly made/ centered. Not worth the money; wouldn't do it again (as mentioned). If these spun-tested right, I'd definitely make some more for my other bows, from 60 to 95 lbs (manual and draw-loc rigs), with wider-cut Rages.

Hey Brian, if you don't like "Which is better?" arguments, by all means don't go over to Archerytalk! Might want to steer clear of TFL, too - that's what we do here, ain't it?

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; June 14, 2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old June 13, 2014, 06:07 PM   #14
03Shadowbob

Those VPAs look great and I may try them. Really looking hard at the single bevel DRTs. I do love my Magnus heads though
Old June 13, 2014, 06:42 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hey Brian, if you don't like "Which is better?" arguments, by all means don't go over to Archerytalk! Might want to steer clear of TFL, too - that's what we do here, ain't it?
I have an alter-ego there too but I never use it. Last (probably only) "which is better" I got into over there was dealing with cover scents.

Yeah, we do a lot of it here and there but I've learned to try to stay quiet beyond giving a (hopefully reasoned) opinion. No minds are changing, at least openly. Just gives me stress I don't need.
Old June 17, 2014, 12:15 PM   #16
Wild Bill Bucks

Did not get to use them on a deer last year, but have shot 2 hogs with them in April this year and have been amazed.

They are called the TOXIC broadhead. They are a fixed blade, that cuts a clover leaf completely through the animal, and leaves a hole about 7/8" around. I'm not talking about a slit in the skin, but an actual hole, that leaves a blood trail like I have never seen from any broadhead I have ever used.(and I've used about everything out there over the last 30 years)

Neither hog went further that 20 yards and it looked like a slaughter house on the trail.

I'm trying not to sound like I work for the company, but if you bow hunt, you need to get on the net and look these up. There are several videos to look at, and I think you will be interested.
Old June 17, 2014, 12:47 PM   #17
Unlicensed Dremel

Yeah, I bought 6 FAA Toxics recently - seems like quite a few like these heads. Gonna try them and 125 Terminators this year. Also maybe some 85 Terminators.

Twang & Bang is one of my top-5 favorite gun/bow/hunting channels - here he is shooting Toxics with a PSE Tac-15 (155 lb) and a Hickory Creek Inline Crossbow (125 lb):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSGnegcDXhc

I still may try some Grave Diggers or similar yet, but I doubt it.

What kind of blood trail, penetration, and game distance travel before dropping did you get on the hogs with the Toxics? And how much did the hogs weigh? Thanks.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; June 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old June 17, 2014, 01:19 PM   #18
Wild Bill Bucks

Both broadside shots. About 25 yards on one and 30 on the other. Both shots went through the ribs and out the other side. Using a 150 lb Cross-bow. Neither hog went further than 20 yards.
Old June 17, 2014, 04:51 PM   #19
Unlicensed Dremel

Were the heads damaged?
Old June 18, 2014, 10:16 PM   #20
Bezoar

mechanical broadheads are the equivalent of "can ihunt bear with my .25 acp?'
Old June 19, 2014, 09:50 AM   #21
BuckRub

No a fan of the Rage. Ive never shot one Ive always used Thundere
head's and a good friend used Muzzy's. I could and can usually shoot 4-5 deer while maintaining sharp and not bending and making an awesome hole. My brother in law shoots rage and I seen him shoot about 3 deer and every broadhead was losing a blade or bent to crap. Plus the broadhead only penetrated both sides of one deer. No, dont worry about me buying them but to each their own.
Old June 19, 2014, 12:46 PM   #22
Wild Bill Bucks

Sorry about the late reply Dremel. Same broadhead shot both pigs, and after cleaning, I still can't tell them from a new one. Did not hit any bones except for ribs, so really won't know to much until I mess up and hit a shoulder on one, and I'm sure that will happen sooner or later, but for right now, they seem to be holding up to abuse better than others I have tried.

They sell replacement blades for them, so I'm sure they won't last forever, and the style doesn't make for easy sharpening. Other broadheads I have used don't generally make one kill before the blades have to be replaced, so they are already twice as good as some others.