The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 11, 2014, 08:16 PM   #26
Omaha-BeenGlockin

As will every Ruger I've ever seen--the trigger and barrel will get better the more you shoot it.
-------Metallica
Old May 11, 2014, 08:28 PM   #27
guruatbol

Many long winded responses, so I'll try to be short.

In answer to the op.

Using many mini14s in the past and training people on them, I can say they are not picky with ammo. In my experience training with the primary duty rifle, mini14 if you are getting groupings like that it is 99 times out of 100 the shooter.

The mini has a 2 stage trigger. If you get back to the basics which is stance, grip, breathing and trigger control you will get good groupings at 100 yards.

When you hold the mini you should be relaxed. It should be planted in the pocket and you should not grip the fore stock hard. I find if you use a flat hand under the mag and support the rifle you will not pull it off target.

When you pull the trigger, take a breath, let it half way out, take the slack out of the trigger and squeeze it. It should surprise you. This way you do not jerk it.

There are several stances. I ha fired kneeling, seated, standing barricade, standing and prone.

My favorite is kneeling. You can support the weapon on you palm an the meaty side of you elbow on your knee. Very stable.

With sand bags you should be able to very loosely support the fore stock with an open hand eliminating any pull.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your weapon. If the sights are tight from the box all is well.

It seams we always blame the weapon, when the weapon is nearly always not to blame. Technique is everything. Feel free to PM me and I am happy to help you with technique and the mini.

It is a pretty great weapon when used properly. I have fired thousands upon thousands of rounds from one.

Mel
Old May 11, 2014, 09:48 PM   #28
hagar

The Minis hate fmj bullets, try some heavier 64 gr WW PP bullets, my best load was 25 grains of 2520 and LC cases with a Rem 7.5 primer.
Old June 10, 2014, 11:44 PM   #29
Hellgate

I've had the rear aperture shoot loose on my 582. After putting blue locktite into the threads to gum it up it has held zero. The set screw doesn't stay set. See if the rear peep wiggles. My 582 RR likes Sierra 53gr match HPs, 60gr Hornady SP, and 65gr Sierra Game Kings using H335 or W748.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), DGB#129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old June 11, 2014, 02:12 PM   #30
Unlicensed Dremel

There are literally thousands of threads over the years lamenting the poor, poor accuracy of the Mini-14, if you count all the gun boards. It's a very well-known issue with this rifle, for those who research. It's not a well-known issue for those who don't research (like all issues), which is the majority of folks (and hence the reason Ruger is still able to sell them).

Having said that, there's a *chance* that yours will shoot with other ammo - no way to know until you try it. You may have gotten a "reverse lemon" - it happens. I hope yours does and wish you luck.
Old June 11, 2014, 02:24 PM   #31
johnwilliamson062

Id agree with the 180 series having a deserved reputation for poorly handling rapid fire(heat). The newer ones are not significantly worse than a similar ar build. Sporter profile barrels, stock, chamber, etc.
Old June 12, 2014, 07:41 AM   #32
rickyrick

Should get 2.5" or better from that mini...
Make sure sights or scope aren't loose...

Old June 12, 2014, 08:35 AM   #33
boltomatic

Sounds like you got a lemon.

I know first hand that the new Mini-14 and Mini-Thirty series of rifles are very accurate, so there must be a problem with either you, your ammo, or your specific rifle.

First, try some different ammo. Then try a different rifle to see if you are just shooting poorly for some reason. If that doesn't reveal a problem, then you must have gotten a lemon.

Luckily, Ruger has great customer service. Call them up and send the rifle in for them to take a look at it, chances are they will fix it quickly and send you a free magazine when they send the rifle back to you.

The older mini's were in fact inaccurate, but that problem has been fixed (the old barrels were too flimsy). Now they all use thick, hammer forged barrels. My Mini-Thirty shoots 3 inch groups at 100 yards with cheap steel case ammo, better with better ammo. My friend's mini-14 shoots groups under 2 inches at 100 yards with hand loads.

As for cheap ammo, it doesn't exist anymore! But you will probably get the best value from the military surplus ammo that has started to show up on the market, about a month ago I got military steel core "penetrator" lake city ammo online for something like 30-40 cents a round.

Good luck! The Mini-14 is a great rifle, its really a better rifle than an AR. The only advantage the AR has is out of the box accuracy but with a trigger job and maybe an "accu-strut" the new mini's will shoot as accurately as the best AR and honestly, the out of the box accuracy of the Mini-14 is more than enough for hunting any kind of game appropriate for that round so unless you need sub-MOA accuracy for competition shooting, I'd save your money and leave it stock.
Old June 15, 2014, 02:55 PM   #34
Z400ACDC

I swapped for a 580 Ruger ranch a couple years ago and it is not a target rifle. But, it will shoot between 2-3 inch at 100 at anytime off bipod. I did add the accu-strut and it could use a trigger job.
Old June 15, 2014, 03:14 PM   #35
reynolds357

Try different ammo. If that does not work, let a few other people shoot it and see how it groups with them. I am a good shooter, with most rifles. Over the years, there have been a couple that were not natural to me, and I had no desire to expend the effort to "learn to shoot them." It could be the rifle, it could be you. Its easy to confirm that its not you.
Old June 18, 2014, 06:46 PM   #36
ratshooter

You can find lots of info on the site, www.perfectunion.com Its is a mini site mostly and the guys there will help you if you give them a chance. And your gun should be getting at least a 3" or better group at a hundred. My 580 series with the tapered barrel will do that with cheap Monark ammo from Academy sports.

Like others said check your screws and sights and most important is to make sure your gas port /fore end cap is even on both sides and evenly torqued down. That seems to be one of the biggest things to make accuracy not so good. You want the gap between the top and bottom pieces to be even.

A village in Kenya called. They want their idiot back.
Old June 19, 2014, 01:40 PM   #37
rickyrick

Plinking ammo especially Russian stuff will be about 3"+

Good hornaday stuff or similar will produce nice groups
Old June 19, 2014, 03:48 PM   #38
Hellgate

With a good rest, scope, and handloads you ought to get 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), DGB#129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old June 19, 2014, 09:02 PM   #39
dvdcrr

My experience with semis : if its grouping 6" at 50 dont get your hopes up. That dog prolly aint gunna hunt.
Old June 19, 2014, 09:38 PM   #40
jeager106

Quote:
"My experience with semis : if its grouping 6" at 50 dont get your hopes up. That dog prolly aint gunna hunt."

If it were my rifle it would already be in a new home.
Old June 25, 2014, 05:50 PM   #41
Boncrayon

Disappointment with my new Mini 14

You said, "pull the trigger" when you should be "squeezing" the trigger. If you are right handed, you would be most often hitting at 7 o'clock with the twist in hour hand grip. An easy squeeze, not pulling, will put more holes in your bull's eye. Let the firearm surprise you when the hammer pin releases.

Are you shooting at 7 yards, 10 yards, or other?

If you are wearing corrective glasses, make sure your dominant eye is in the center of the lens. If not, your corner lens is distorting your target.

Your breathing must stop before each shot, or the movement in your torso will throw your aim off.

These are basics for any firearm. Your age and your skills are challenged if not practiced with any firearm.

Oh, and if you are quick shooting in deference, you need to point, not aim.