The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 2014, 11:19 AM   #1
fretless33

9mm XTP and COL

I've been using Hi-Skor 700x (unfortunately...meters like crap), so going between the Hornady manual and Lee manual get 2 different cartridge overall lengths. Hornady has 1.075 and Lee has 1.125, so I have a couple of questions.

I'm using the data from the Lee manual because 700x is not listed in the powders in the Hornady manual and it's a Hornady XTP bullet, should I use the 1.075 COL from Hornady or 1.125 from the Lee manual where the 700x powder is listed?

My other question is...does XTP have the same meaning in different manuals? I know Hornady means eXtreme Terminal Performance, but does XTP have the same meaning in the Lee manual?

Thanks again for your time!
Old June 8, 2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Gadawg88

I would target the col listed with the powder you are using. Make a dummy round at that length and check for feed and function (plunk test). If all good there, which it should be, work up your load starting at or near min. charge and step up toward max.

Last edited by Gadawg88; June 8, 2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old June 8, 2014, 11:49 AM   #3
fretless33

Thanks Gadawg...I cycled and fired 5 rounds with a COL 1.125 @ 3.9 grains (minimum) and they all ejected and fed great.

I initially went with the 1.125 COl because I used the Hodgdon online Reloading Data Canter and the Lee manual which both recommend 1.125, but then checked the Hornady manual since it's a Hornady bullet for the dimensions and found the 1.075 COL and didn't know if I should use the manufacturers data (bullet specific) or gun powder data.

Does anyone know if XTP stands for the same thing...the Lee manual has an 115 gr XTP bullet listed, but XTP seems to be a Hornady registered trademark name...
Old June 8, 2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Adamantium

XTP is a product line of bullets. Horandy is the only company that makes XTPs though they have been loaded into cartridges by various other companies. 115 will refer to the weight, as hornady also makes 90 grain, 124 grain and 147 grain XTP bullets for 9mm guns. The most important thing is to always match your load data to the correct bullet weight.
Old June 8, 2014, 09:48 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Gadawg88 has it: You need to "plunk test" the bullet for the gun that is going to shoot it. Actually, there is a specific OAL that you need to load to - and that OAL is found by performing a plunk test.

Once you've done that and determined the OAL for your gun, then you can begin your load work up. If your OAL is shorter than what was tested for the manual's data you're using for reference, then you need to back down a few percent. If it's the same or longer, then you may use the data as it is.
Old June 9, 2014, 02:27 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

Use the OAL you've found that provides reliable function; adjust charge weight as needed for safe velocity.
Old June 9, 2014, 10:24 PM   #7
1SOW

I load 124 XTPs. Depending on the powder you're using, you may need more case volume to get the effective speed for the SD load.

Load data provides the "minimum" oal to stay in the safe pressure ranges. You can always load longer if your chamber will accept the longer length.

My CZ 75 has a short chamber and will accept 1.140" oals with the 124 XTP.
Old June 9, 2014, 10:45 PM   #8
Jim243

Quote:
didn't know if I should use the manufacturers data (bullet specific) or gun powder data.
Gun powder Data, only reliable information without you testing different loads working up to a good one.

Jim
Old June 12, 2014, 04:44 PM   #9
snolden

For 9mm 124 gr bullets I am using a COAL of 1.062 for XTP bullets
Old June 14, 2014, 10:16 PM   #10
skizzums

me too, i go 1.077 with XTPs
Old June 15, 2014, 10:21 AM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

But are either of you two doing that with the Lyman load data, specifically? I believe that's the information the OP was angling for.

Seating depth does affect pressure. Often this is confused by the fact that many pistol round case capacities are small enough that a primer can sometimes start the bullet moving before the powder burn is well underway. So about all you can do is knock 10% off the load and work up in 2% steps to see if you spot any pressure signs along the way.
NRA Patron Member
Old June 17, 2014, 06:22 PM   #12
snolden

Nope, using hornady data for hornady bullets.
Old June 17, 2014, 06:37 PM   #13
skizzums

i just go what feeds best in the gun, i used to go longer and some hang-ups, all my nines, excluding the hi-point carb, likes shorter rounds