The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 30, 2014, 06:14 PM   #1
chris in va

My CX4 after 1000 rounds.

Just an update.

These are LRN reloads and not one factory round through it. No chokes, misfeeds or anything of note. It gets cleaned after a couple hundred rounds and frankly I don't see much residue except at the feed ramp and what I call the 'trash can', a circular cutout on the top of the bolt. It's like all the junk collects there, away from the critical workings.

People complain about the trigger but I have no issue with it. Let off is pretty clean and reset is actually shorter than my AR. Granted I don't use it for bench rested target shooting but it's just fine for competition and blasting steels and targets. On a side note I used mine at a pistol/rifle match and it was impressive how easy the manual of arms is compared to people having trouble with their (loud) AR's. One guy thought it was a 22 it was so quiet.

I have the 9mm version. It came with two 15rd mags and I found a screaming deal on a 18rd MecGar at a gun show. Even so I wouldn't mind having the extended mag as 18 rounds is over with very quickly as fun as this is to shoot.

Regarding recoil, I'm very glad I didn't get the 40 or 45. It's comfortable to shoot, and at the volume of ammo it will see at a single trip I wouldn't want any more shove to the shoulder. It's about the same as my AR, maybe less.

Another interesting feature PCC's offer is sound reduction. When wearing my electronic muffs all I hear is the action cycling...THUNK clack. Nobody minds standing next to it when firing.

The 'ears' around the sights don't bother me in the least. I have a dot on there anyway so no biggie. It cowitnesses with the irons but I wouldn't mind having a small riser so I don't have to squish my face on the stock so low.

Bottom line, it's absurdly fun. Thankfully I can cast and reload 9mm cheaper than 22lr current prices and availability, so it's the cheapest shooting long gun I have.
Old May 30, 2014, 07:38 PM   #2
6mm

I have one that I bought use, have over 500rds without a problem. One of my favorites.
Old May 30, 2014, 07:54 PM   #3
barnbwt

Yeah, we really should be paying 200$ for these 16" 9mm non-SBR's. I'm pretty sure the barrel volume approaches that of smaller pistol suppressors

TCB
Old May 31, 2014, 01:51 AM   #4
ndking1126

Chris,

What do you contribute the sound reduction to? Is there some sort of sound reduction design built into it or is it just the no ports on the barrel allowing all sound to go forward? The 9mm is not a quiet round, so I'm curious.
Old May 31, 2014, 08:13 AM   #5
9x19

Glad to hear you are enjoying the CX4... Pistol Caliber Carbines have their place in my own set of arms, and I enjoy them quite a bit.
Old May 31, 2014, 09:13 AM   #6
snapshot762

I just acquired a CX4 recently and it is proving to be a accurate, reliable, fun little carbine!
Old May 31, 2014, 10:06 PM   #7
chris in va

Quote:
Chris,

What do you contribute the sound reduction to? Is there some sort of sound reduction design built into it or is it just the no ports on the barrel allowing all sound to go forward? The 9mm is not a quiet round, so I'm curious.
It's just the length of the barrel. 16" seems to extract the most efficiency out of the 9mm round, more than a 45 would. I see about 150-200fps more from the CX4 than my CZ P01 using the same ammo.
Old June 1, 2014, 09:55 PM   #8
ShipWreck

I have one too. I expected a bit more accuracy out of it, but people onstantly remind me it's not a long range gun. At 50 or 100 yards, I can shoot groups 1/2 the size with my SCAR. But admittedly, there is a huge price difference.

It does run very clean, and is reliable. The trigger on every one I have tried new is rather heavy. But with some use, that will go away a little.
Old June 1, 2014, 10:40 PM   #9
chris in va

Now that you mention it, the trigger reminds me a lot of a Glock. Heavier, but has that 'squish' before the let off.
Old June 8, 2014, 10:45 PM   #10
HawkeyeNRAlifer

Love my CX4 in 45. It will shoot everything. On more than one occasion, I worked up some loads at an ever decreasing powder charge to see how light I could go without changing recoil springs in my pistols. After all five different 45 pistols failed, the CX4 continued to run. I've yet to experience a problem with it.