The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 22, 2014, 01:30 PM   #26
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

I bought a Romanian SAR-1 just over a decade ago. I shot it about 1,000 times before the trigger wore out and it started to double-fire. Who knows if it was brand new when I got it at a gun show (?) I put in a $25 Tapco trigger and it is oh-so crisp. I was shocked at how easy the trigger installation went. That rifle is perfect for deer hunting: really short and really light. I've harvested 4 whitetails with it.
Old May 26, 2014, 07:52 PM   #27
RickE

Poster reply

Hi, It's Rick E.

I just viewed a Wasr, M&M, and a couple other block country variants. Then, I found the Saiga 7.62 in the (sport version). In lieu of a Ruger Mini 30 at $850.00+, I love the Saiga at $499.00
Old May 26, 2014, 08:14 PM   #28
oldscot3

The n pap is really nice. The butt stock has comb that is high for it's open sights, but just right for a receiver mounted optic. If irons only is what you want, or a low forward mounted red dot, get another stock and keep the issue one in a drawer for later.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:41 AM   #29
Justice06RR

Rick, if you like the Saiga, you are better off getting the partially converted version for around $630 instead.

Unless you specifically like the sporterized version of the Saiga and also on a budget.

But yes, the Saiga AK's are excellent rifles. Made in Russia and have chrome-lined barrels and a side scope mount. I have both the 7.62 and 5.45 Saiga's that are converted.
Old May 29, 2014, 09:21 PM   #30
RickE

Thank you all for the input. I ended up with a Saiga "hunter" version. $499. Built in the original K factory. Visually quality look much better than about three other variants that I have seen. I am not looking to turn this thing into a "true AK", but anything that actually adds to the function is always an option. I did buy, and "tweek" a few 30 round mags to fit. Screw the 922r, just like our tax codes, you need to a "fing" Attorney to figure what is legal.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:48 PM   #31
tahunua001

no more than 10 foreign parts. slap in american magazines and an american furniture set and it'll be legal.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old May 30, 2014, 09:06 PM   #32
RickE

original poster

I'm not sure I will dance to the 922R. A 30 round mag on this version? Really? let them come for me. The whole rule makes NO sense!

Last edited by RickE; May 30, 2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old May 30, 2014, 09:25 PM   #33
tahunua001

it does make no sense, but I would be careful who you broadcast your intentions to. this forum does not condone or foster sentiments that encourage the disobedience of laws, no matter how arbitrary, idiotic, or unnecessary we think they are.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old May 31, 2014, 09:42 PM   #34
reynolds357

922R is really pretty simple. Basicly, it prohibits you from using imported parts to turn a compliant rifle or shotgun into one that is banned from import. My understanding is that you can use as many foreign parts as you want, so long as you do not build a rifle that would be illegal to import.
Having said all that, I dont really care because the only semi-autos I build or modify are Ar variants and I use good ole USA made parts. I keep them all to myself, I dont re-sell them.
Old June 3, 2014, 11:27 AM   #35
Duzell

still a dumb rule

Firearms Project(s): TM15 WIDOW(C), AR10 DRK WYVERN
Old June 6, 2014, 09:18 PM   #36
RickE

Obviously the "hunting" version is compliant. But... if I am plinking with a 30 round mag, I am in violation? The mag must be us made? Add US parts and it makes a difference? Very confusing at best. The IRS must have been in the room when the rules were cast.
Old June 6, 2014, 09:28 PM   #37
tahunua001

no the fact is that it has to be russian made and 10 round or less capacity because adding an american made would constitute "assembling from parts a rifle illegal for import". you have to keep the rifle to ten foreign made parts or less(from a specific list of parts) if you want the high cap mags.
Old June 15, 2014, 12:37 PM   #38
RickE

Ok, so the Saiga sporterized version I just got has less 10 (or less) foreign parts? If they used us parts to bring the number down, which parts are us made?
Old June 15, 2014, 01:00 PM   #39
tahunua001

no the sporterized version is just not banned from import because it's not "assault" configuration. if you start adding "scary" features like high capacity mags and pistol grips then it becomes "assembling from parts a rifle banned from import".
Old June 15, 2014, 01:21 PM   #40
marine6680

Basically... You need to swap a few parts out before you can use 30rd mags.

There is a list of parts, containing things like, receiver, trigger, sear, magazine parts, etc...

Parts not on the list do not count.

Replace enough parts on the list with US made parts and the gun becomes legal to use certain features like pistol grips and high cap mags.
Old June 15, 2014, 10:12 PM   #41
FALshootist

I had a Norinco AK that I bought for very cheap when the first were imported here. It worked great and was real accurate. But I never liked the safety and sold it for pretty good money after the 94 ban (error in judgment).

If you can find one you won't be disappointed. But for a few more dollars there is the second generation Sig 556R. I shot my friends and was shocked at how accurate it was, even with old surplus. If I need another 7.62X39 rifle this will be it.