The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 5, 2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

Turkeys in your area

Would you say in the last 10 years, their number have increased, decreased, or stayed about the same.

Seems like they're way down here.
Old June 5, 2014, 04:26 PM   #2
jimbob86

There are more turkeys in Nebraska now than at any time in recorded history.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old June 5, 2014, 05:55 PM   #3
NHSHOOTER

I drive truck here in NH and I dont go a day without seeing turkeys..plural. They are everywhere and just multiplying every year. I dont think there is that much hunting pressure on them here either, I know I have yet to give em a try.
Old June 5, 2014, 06:23 PM   #4
YARDDOG(1)

N/E Fl,,Population is up where I hunt ; )
Y/D
Old June 5, 2014, 07:43 PM   #5
BarryLee

We’ve got a good many in Georgia as a matter of fact one was hit on a metro-Atlanta Interstate just today. The AJC is reporting that the Escalade received serious damage, but the driver only received minor injuries. The turkey, whose name was not released, is ok and declined to comment for the article.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breakin...dshield/ngFWN/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 5, 2014, 07:44 PM   #6
Geezerbiker

The were planted here around 30 years ago and they've gone nuts. However Oregon hunting laws require that they only be hunted with a shotgun. From what I've heard around, they're very hard to hunt. The price of a turkey tag here made me loose interest a long time ago...

Tony
Old June 5, 2014, 09:19 PM   #7
thallub

Turkeys are plentiful in most of Oklahoma. Game camera caught this guy at a deer feeder.

Old June 5, 2014, 10:22 PM   #8
Jay24bal

According to the state, our turkey numbers are slightly down, but still above their "target number."

In my area, based on my observations, they are more numerous than I have ever seen around my hunting grounds.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old June 5, 2014, 11:42 PM   #9
RodTheWrench

Utah is adding turkey hunts. They just might become the State Bird if they don't get culled pretty darn quick!
Old June 6, 2014, 02:34 AM   #10
Brotherbadger

Increased. Wisconsin's Turkey numbers have boomed over the past 25 years.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old June 6, 2014, 04:01 AM   #11
bamaranger

here

Judging by harvest on our local wma, and my own seasons, the past 3 years have been very upscale, with lots of birds and lots of gobbling activity in the spring. Priorr that, say 5-6 years, success was much slimmer and the wma nor me did very well, or at least as well as recently. It seems togo in cycles.

Much depends, I think, on the hatch from the spring 2 yrs prior. If it is wet, cold and lots of flooding, many nests and poults do not survive, and the number of youg turkeys going on to adulthood falls. the result is fewer gobblers to gobble at 2 yrs of age, which are typically the most vocal and abundant.

Other factors too, of course. A run of disease on predators, say coyotes certainly, that would thin their numbers, would correspond a bit to more birds surviving as well.

I hunt same area past 25 yr+, 20 plus days out of a 30 day season, limit of 5 birds!!!!!!!!
Old June 6, 2014, 04:05 AM   #12
Mainah

They were pretty much wiped out here in Maine. Several decades ago a flock or two was introduced. Now they're everywhere, at least here in the southern part of the state. It's unusual when I don't see several on my commute.
Old June 6, 2014, 05:01 AM   #13
Picher

I agree with Mainah, but I haven't seen the large flocks that we saw a few years ago, here in Central Maine. When bird hunting the past two Octobers, my son and I have seen a few singles as far North as the Allagash Wilderness Waterway.
Old June 6, 2014, 06:40 AM   #14
sty

I live in central Wisconsin on average I would say up...but you can see the numbers go up and down by how hard the winters have been. This year we had a lot of snow and cold weather all winter, I seen quite a few in the woods that did not make it.
Old June 6, 2014, 07:47 AM   #15
jmr40

When I started hunting back in the 70's a turkey was a rare sight. By the 1990's they were plentiful. Numbers are still very good, but remaining steady. I don't think there are as many hunters as in the past, but coyote's are keeping the numbers steady.
Old June 6, 2014, 07:55 AM   #16
OuTcAsT

There are several within 100 yards of my office right now, they are literally everywhere in my neck of the woods. Sadly, I just don't have time to hunt right now.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old June 6, 2014, 08:12 AM   #17
Doyle

JMR40, you're spot on about turkeys being scare in Ga in the 70's. I spent my boyhood in Pelham and I still remember the first turkey I ever saw. A hen showed up in our rural neighborhood and was spotted from time-to-time for several weeks before a neighborhood dog killed it. The first time I saw it I was wondering what kind of giant quail it was.
Old June 6, 2014, 08:39 AM   #18
ghbucky01

Like this one?

I'm not sure that the population is changing much, I think they have been pretty well established in the Northern Kentucky area for some time.

But... I put in a deck last year and put up a bird feeder. This turkey approves:

Old June 6, 2014, 12:39 PM   #19
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Here in MN their population has gone up substantially. Especially in the bottom half of the State. Problem is. MN turkeys are smart. You hardly ever see them in the woods where their hunters are. But you could have a close encounter with them walking around in town and/ or believe it or not roosting on someone's roof peak is not a rare occasion. Funny bird. Big bird. SMART bird
Old June 6, 2014, 02:11 PM   #20
BigPoppa

Here in NC the Turkey Pop has increased over the last ten years. The Pop has increased dramatically over the last 30-40 years. I used to hunt alot back in the 70s and 80s and I never saw a wild turkey back then and now I see them all the time.
Old June 6, 2014, 05:26 PM   #21
Garycw

Turkeys in your area

There's no shortage in SE KY. I see flocks of anywhere from 10-30. All the time. That is until hunting season starts. Then "poof" there gone it seems till after season is over
Old July 19, 2014, 09:40 PM   #22
Prof Young

Turkey . . . shopping . . .

Hunters:
There are so many turkey in my part of southern IL, that I hardly think of it as hunting anymore. It's more like find the turkeys and pick out the one you want to shoot.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old July 20, 2014, 06:49 AM   #23
Mobuck

Turkey populations are coming back up a little in north MO. Not much hope for the numbers of the 80's ever again due to Bobcat predation and nest predation by unchecked small varmints. I've found 5 nests on 60 acres during hay harvest this year. Most looked to be hatched out rather than destroyed. Egg shells noted were 6-8 per nest.
Old July 20, 2014, 08:41 AM   #24
NHSHOOTER

Question,, Here in NH you can only hunt turkeys till noon during the open season weather it be the spring male only or fall either sex, is it like that in all states and if so, what is the reasoning behind it? I have never hunted turkeys so I dont really know their habits.
Old July 20, 2014, 08:57 AM   #25
giaquir

We have so many turkeys in southern Nh ,the novelty
has turned into an annoyance.