The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2014, 12:30 PM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

I did some reading on springs and discovered that I have been using the term "set" incorrectly. It turns out, in the spring industry, it refers only to change in spring force constant due to exceeding the yield of the spring material and bending it. So most of it happens immediately at the first compression cycle, and is complete in maybe 10 compression cycles at most.

Spring relaxation or "creep" is the phenomenon that happens over time. At 68°F (20°C), for most spring materials, it doesn't seem to exceed about 2-3% in the materials charts I've found. Rockford Springs actually states 1-2%, but, again, its material and stress driven. Here's one paper with some charts.

I find it hard to believe that reducing a 1911 recoil spring from 16 lbs to 15.7 lbs is likely to make or break function, as I've run 12 to 20 lb springs in one of mine without it failing to function. Perhaps on the more critical shorties it would matter more.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 5, 2014, 08:06 AM   #27
Don P

Quote:
I just purchased a NIB RIA 9mm Tactical 1911A1. I had worked up
a load of 3.9 G of Clays for the 115 G FMJHP bullets I had. They function
flawlessly in all of my 9mm semi-autos
The first sentence says it all, NIB. How about some break in rounds. It may very well be what is needed to fix the non existent problem.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 6, 2014, 06:36 AM   #28
FreedomUIC

Quote:
Quote:
I just purchased a NIB RIA 9mm Tactical 1911A1. I had worked up
a load of 3.9 G of Clays for the 115 G FMJHP bullets I had. They function
flawlessly in all of my 9mm semi-autos
Quote:
The first sentence says it all, NIB. How about some break in rounds. It may very well be what is needed to fix the non existent problem.

I have put close to 500 rounds through the pistol and the problem still existed until I swapped the main spring out and put in a 14 pound spring. No issues since. I contacted Armscor and their response was that some pistols needed a lighter spring to function properly. They are looking into whether it was a bad batch of springs or the function of the weapon.

Thanks for all the input, both helpful and sarcastic.