The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 3, 2014, 12:50 PM   #1
jbcricket

vepr 308 or saiga 308

I know this is probably a tired question but i'm totally new to the AK world and for some reason just recently decided i have to have a 308 AK of some sort. I think i have narrowed it down to either the vepr II or the saiga. I know i'm gonna get a 16" barrel and would like to put a few minor mods on it. I would definitely do the conversion on the saiga. I'm thinking i would put the texas weapons systems dogleg rail on it with a peep sight in the rear and probably move the front sight to the gas block and put a smith vortex flash hider on. I like the saw grip and either a collapsible ar style butt stock or a short AK style. I'm just having trouble deciding between these two rifles. It sounds like the general consensus is the vepr has a better fit and finish and some say more accurate, also the receiver is thicker on the vepr. Some say the saiga has a thicker barrel and some say the vepr is thicker. It sounds like the saiga is compatible with more AK-47 parts than the vepr which i feel is a plus for the saiga... I'm seeing good things about both and honestly i'll probably buy which ever one i come across first for a decent price, but i figured i'd ask around and see what people who have experience with these rifles think and what the actual differences are between the two... any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old June 3, 2014, 04:22 PM   #2
seanc

I have owned both Siaga and VEPR rifles. I now only have VEPR rifles. They are both excellent rifles, but VEPRs are simply better.

Here is some eye candy on a VEPR 308:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqvKi-FVHrg

Here is one for sale (not exactly what's in the video review, but same base rifle):
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0
Old June 3, 2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Fishbed77

Quote:
They are both excellent rifles, but VEPRs are simply better.
This.

Both are high-quality rifles, but the fit & finish of the VEPRs is a bit nicer.
Old June 3, 2014, 11:28 PM   #4
jbcricket

Thanks for the info guys. Dang dude, that vepr with the Pmags is awesome!... why'd you show that to me?! I'm not gonna be able to sleep for a week!! I MUST HAVE ONE! If that becomes available to the general public any time soon that will make my decision. Do you guys know if you can do all the same modifications to a vepr that you can to a saiga? And do you know which one has a larger diameter barrel?
Old June 4, 2014, 06:41 AM   #5
dean1818

How accurate is the VEPR?

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old June 4, 2014, 10:51 AM   #6
dvdcrr

In the final summation the 16" saiga 308 will be more valuable than the vepr. I saw a bid on one yesterday for 970.00. Why are they so valued? Simply put the rifle is one of the lightest most compact 308 semi rifles, but also the most solid and reliable.
Old June 4, 2014, 12:51 PM   #7
seanc

Gunbroker value isn't a barometer I use to choose a rifle. I would ideally like to handle a specific rifle myself to evaluate it. Absent that, I value the reviews of trusted, knowledgeable people. Below I'm including a review of a VEPR 7.62x54R done by the Military Arms Chanel (before they became a retail outlet). MAC has credibility to spare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1aruqM7Py8

7.62x54R is a more powerful cartridge than 308. The 308 and 7.62x54R VEPR rifles are constructed similarly. The reviewed rifle is beefier than a standard AKM, and that is clearly spoken to in this video. As far as standard AKM part compatibility of Siaga vs. VEPR, both 308 versions are beefier than standard AKM rifles and that will affect part interoperability, for Siaga's and VEPR's, in the more powerful calibers.

Again, I'm not slamming the Siaga. They are good/excellent rifles and you'd do well to get a Siaga. VEPR rifles are just better.

The only thing I'd try to talk you into is getting a longer barrel. For full power cartridges, I don't see the appeal of firing them from short 16" barrels that effectively neuters them down to near intermediate power levels. If you'll settle for less power/performance, save some ammo money and just get an intermediate caliber AKM 7.62x39, 5.56 or 5.45.
Old June 19, 2014, 12:01 PM   #8
jmstr

I wish I could find someone to swap a longer barrel into my 16" Saiga .308.

I got it as it was the only one I could find at a reasonable price here in California at the time.

I am content to keep sporter stock though, as I am in California and pistol grips add a whole series of layers of trouble.
Old June 23, 2014, 10:18 PM   #9
chris in va

The Super VEPR is just dead sexy with the wood furniture. It gets my vote.

Old June 23, 2014, 11:22 PM   #10
jmstr

The Vepr looks nice, but I can't have a thumbhole AND a detachable magazine.

So, I prefer the wood on the Saiga, like so:

Or like so:

That is what mine looks like [the second one- I would LOVE the wood from the first one], except i have the 16.5" barrel [well, whatever the short barrel is from Saiga.]
Old June 25, 2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Cy4ka

Go with the Vepr if you're spending the money. May as well.

Will your's be a squareback receiver? If you're modifying it just understand they are a little different than the regular AKM and Saiga. Allot are slant cut if you're going for pistol grip/thumbhole stock.