The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 27, 2014, 10:22 AM   #1
Clevinger

Winchester Model 70 Production in Utah

Picked up a Winchester Model 70 Coyote Light the other day, and I noticed it was apparently made in Morgan, Utah. I know they are essentially one and the same as Browning now, but I didn't know they made them in Utah.

I have one that was made in South Carolina (which is very well made), and I heard they were considering production in Portugal. However, didn't know Utah was happening.

Just an FYI. I haven't shot it yet, so can't comment on goods or bads.

Last edited by Clevinger; April 27, 2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old April 27, 2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Good!! Foreign products interest me. But that's all they do. Happy to see Winchester is taking a interest in making their product/s where their most appreciated. (USA) Thanks for the update Clevinger.
Old April 27, 2014, 12:16 PM   #3
DPris

No.
That's where Browning is headquartered.
Your rifle was not made in Utah.

Browning is the marketer for the Winchester brand.
Denis
Old April 27, 2014, 01:52 PM   #4
Clevinger

DPris,

I apologize if I have misunderstood. I didn't mean to carry inaccurate information. I'll need to go look at my other Model 70.

It says "Made in USA. BACO. Morgan Utah."

That is still a South Carolina rifle?
Old April 27, 2014, 02:09 PM   #5
DPris

BACO is the stamp Browning Arms Company is currently using on "Winchesters".
Browning has the licensed rights to use the Winchester name on firearms and Browning handles importation of foreign Winchesters along with marketing of both foreign & domestic Winchester guns.

There is no Winchester factory anywhere.
There is no Browning factory anywhere.
Winchesters are sourced from several places, here in the US & abroad.

There is no Winchester manufacturing going on in Utah.
There is one company that produces .22 pistols FOR Browning in Utah.
There is no Browning manufacturing facility in Utah.

Morgan is where Browning is headquartered, and the same for the Winchester part of the operation.
Browning has used its Morgan, Utah, stamp for many years on Browning guns that never saw Utah. It just reflects the corporate address.

If your rifle says it was made in the US, I'd say the FN facility in South Carolina.
Denis
Old April 27, 2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Polinese

My new Model 70 Stealth says the same thing on it, and surprised me as well.
Old April 27, 2014, 02:17 PM   #7
Clevinger

Is there a stamp somewhere denoting where they are made, in regards to facility?

Once they move production to Portugal I'm done buying. I don't like the idea of Winchester leaving the US.
Old April 27, 2014, 02:20 PM   #8
DPris

If you don't see one, no.
Denis
Old April 27, 2014, 02:23 PM   #9
DPris

And re Portugal, there's no reason Portuguese involvement would mean any lesser quality or performance.

One of my Browning Hi-Powers was assembled in Portugal & it gives me no heartburn whatever.
Denis
Old April 27, 2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Clevinger

I feel like Winchester is an American icon and don't want it's production to leave our shores.

It's nothing against foreign companies. I love Sakos.
Old April 27, 2014, 02:45 PM   #11
DPris

I agree there, but if it's the only way to get a new Winchester package with features I like, I'd buy a Japanese or Portuguese version.
Denis
Old April 27, 2014, 04:21 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

This is all there is to it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris
BACO is the stamp Browning Arms Company is currently using on "Winchesters".
Browning has the licensed rights to use the Winchester name on firearms and Browning handles importation of foreign Winchesters along with marketing of both foreign & domestic Winchester guns.

There is no Winchester factory anywhere.
There is no Browning factory anywhere.
Winchesters are sourced from several places, here in the US & abroad.

There is no Winchester manufacturing going on in Utah.
There is one company that produces .22 pistols FOR Browning in Utah.
There is no Browning manufacturing facility in Utah.

Morgan is where Browning is headquartered, and the same for the Winchester part of the operation.
Browning has used its Morgan, Utah, stamp for many years on Browning guns that never saw Utah. It just reflects the corporate address.

If your rifle says it was made in the US, I'd say the FN facility in South Carolina.
Denis

The only things made in Utah are Buckmarks, 1911-22s, and some non-firearm products (bows, etc.). And the Buckmarks and 1911-22s are made by a contractor, not by Browning.
Old April 27, 2014, 04:58 PM   #13
DPris

Last I heard from my Browning gal a couple years back when I asked, the bows are gone.
ATI does the .22 pistols.
Browning doesn't manufacture anything, all contracted or licensed out.

Which DOES NOT affect quality, Browning's pretty picky about what they put, or allow, their name on, and that's more important as an end result than the source.
Denis
Old April 28, 2014, 12:11 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Last I heard from my Browning gal a couple years back when I asked, the bows are gone.
Ah, that's right.
I forgot that they shut down the R&D shop, and that the bows went when the R&D facility was shuttered.
Old April 28, 2014, 12:04 PM   #15
DPris

Checked with Browning.
Barreled 70 actions are still built in FN's So Carolina plant, shipped to Portugal for assembly.

You're still getting Made In USA & that's why it's still stamped Made In USA.
Denis
Old April 28, 2014, 12:42 PM   #16
jmr40

I've still not seen any confirmation that any of the Portugese assembled guns have actually been sold here yet. There seems to be no Winchesters available anywhere at the moment. Just a guess, but I'd bet anything in the system right now is still SC assembled. It is not unusual for new guns to still be setting in back rooms in gunshops for years. I've seen 10 year old guns still NIB in some shops. I bet we don't see the Portugal assembled guns until this summer.

And I have no reason to suspect they will be any lower quality. I don't NEED another rifle right now, but would buy one of the same quality as the one I have at a comparable price in a heartbeat regardless of where it is made.
Old April 28, 2014, 12:50 PM   #17
DPris

Just passing on the latest from Browning an hour or so ago.
They are currently being built in SC & assembled in Portugal, the rep specifically said still marked Made in USA.

Whether or not any are in circulation is unk. I didn't ask that.
Denis
Old April 30, 2014, 07:33 AM   #18
trigger643

DPris is correct.

It's not news, but it is history, starting over 125 years ago.

FNH announced back in the winter of 2012 that final assembly of the Model 70 would be completed in Portugal beginning in the spring of 2013.

Winchester is a trade mark owned by the Olin Corporation, who has owned the brand since 1931. The last Winchester factory closed in 2007, it had been owned and operated by the U.S. Repeating Arms Corp. since 1981 under license from Olin.

FNH has owned the Browning trade mark since obtaining a controlling interest (70%) in 1957, (90%) by 1977 and operates it as a subsidiary. Browning has never owned an industrial complex for the manufacture of its products. It has been and remains a licensing, patent and trade mark firm. It also has overseen the warranty and repair of its arms licensed for manufacture to others.

Olin Licensed several -- but not all -- Winchester products to FN in 2006, including the Model 70. Other licenses have been granted to other companies. For example, Miroku has for a number of years and continues to manufacturer several Winchester products - the Model 94 is one of them. Miroku also partnered with FNH to hold Browning ownership for a number of years.

FNH has had a manufacturing presence in Portugal going back to at least the 1950's.

FN in turn is owned by the Herstal Group (1889), who in turn is owned by Regional Government of Wallonia, Belgium.

FN has been in a close partnership with Browning since 1897. Indeed, John Browning suffered a massive heart attack at the FN facility and died there in 1926.
Old April 30, 2014, 10:47 AM   #19
DPris

And, the current Browning Company has no direct connection to the man himself, formed after he died.
Denis
Old May 1, 2014, 12:32 AM   #20
Brotherbadger

Just want to say that i've learned more about browning reading this thread, than i ever have at any other point in my life(although i never really researched them). Great information here guys, thanks.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "