The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 9, 2014, 10:41 AM   #1
Millet

J-B weld for bedding compound?

Hello Guys,
I've heard some people use J-B weld for bedding compound. Does this work as good or close to other compounds. Any thoughts? I would be cheaper. Just thought maybe if it works fine I might try it on some of my rifles. Let me know what u think........
Old April 9, 2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

It's not a novel idea...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show....php?p=3956200
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old April 9, 2014, 12:06 PM   #3
jmr40

That is what I use.
Old April 9, 2014, 01:54 PM   #4
PetahW

FWIW, if was MY rifle that was up for bedding, I'd want to use the best, not the cheapest, bedding compound.

Old April 9, 2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Millet

Quote:
if was MY rifle that was up for bedding, I'd want to use the best, not the cheapest, bedding compound.
I know what u mean there PetahW. Btw...This is not a long range bench rifle..its a factory rifle for 100 yrd bear or deer which kinda explains why I'm not ultra concerned for top quality. I'm gonna try J-B weld on this rifle and kinda experiment with it before I do my varmint gun using acraglass gel. Thanks everyone for the info ......Greatly appreciated!!!
Old April 9, 2014, 06:03 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
I'd want to use the best, not the cheapest, bedding compound.
I'm not sure that those things need to be mutually exclusive. I see nothing that indicates that JB Weld wouldn't be an excellent choice.

It is VERY strong and has a very low shrink. Arguments against are that it's kind of runny and maybe a bit heavier than most. I don't know that it's "the best" but I don't think it's inferior either.

Seems like Devcon 10110 or Marine-Tex are top choices though.
-The Architect
-----
Old April 9, 2014, 07:27 PM   #7
PetahW

FWIW, in over 45 years, I've never had a Micro-Bed or AccuGlas bedding job fail (probably about 50 different guns) - In fact, I've several times had to redux improper bedding jobs, done with some other "stuff", in order to restore a rifle's accuracy.

If it ain't "broke", I sure don't aim to "fix" it.

Old April 9, 2014, 09:38 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

You should practice on a few more... what's your address, my gun is on the way. (And I don't care what you use as long as it's right.)
-The Architect
-----
Old April 10, 2014, 03:27 AM   #9
iraiam

Are planning on using straight JB weld, or are you going to add a filler in, such as micro-balloons?

I can't think of any reason that JB weld shouldn't work, but don't recall ever using a filler with it.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old April 10, 2014, 04:55 AM   #10
hooligan1

Devcon Plastic Steel is only 6.00, for one package of resin and hardner, I only used two complete packs on my sons Rem.700.
As far as I can tell, there is no shrinkage with Devcon

The real trick is the realease agent, I used Johnson paste wax, and wiped excess off before actually setting action, and I used it everywhere the possibility of contact with Devcon...

Cant be too carefull...
Old April 10, 2014, 07:58 AM   #11
eldermike

Microspheres (tiny glass balls) and 5 minute epoxy works as well as anything I have tried. You can make a paste with the glass (mostly glass with enough epoxy to bond it together) and the whole job is finished in a few minutes. Johnsons paste wax works great as a release.

Not sure about J-B weld but if it was me I would still use a filler like glass balls.
Old April 10, 2014, 08:22 AM   #12
BumbleBug

First I'd like to say that I am very meticulous about my own glass bedding & I prefer Devcon 10110 plastic steel as a compound.

IIRC there was an article in Rifle magazine some time back by John Barnes about bedding rifles using 5-min epoxy & just putting it in critical stock areas, as needed (i.e. usually recoil lug & tang). Sorry, I can't find a link to the article. As with most of these articles, the accuracy improvement was great. Off course he was dealing with run of the mill hunting rifles. Just off hand, I'd say J-B with a filler would probably work just fine for your application.

FWIW...

...bug
Old April 10, 2014, 08:38 AM   #13
jaguarxk120

If you guy's check the MSDS sheet on your best bedding products you will find that most if not all are just a resin of some sort.

The J-B Weld has iron and limestone in it's formula, kind of like two real stable things. I don't think the J-B Weld would need a filler added. Please note that it has been used in some automotive engine use's.
Old April 10, 2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Gunplummer

Does it hold up to moisture? I don't know. Sounds O.K. to me. I generally use some type of epoxy myself, usually not "Bedding epoxy". I tried a form of "Bedding compound" by a well known maker years ago. Never again. It had the consistency of hard rubber. I say, whatever works for you.
Old April 10, 2014, 03:09 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

JB Weld is (as far as I can tell) impervious to water and chlorine too. I used some to seal an injection pump tank that had a crack. It was on the very bottom. The solution in the tank was about 20% Chlorox and 80% water. The JB Weld was still holding strong more than 2 years later (last I knew). It's certainly not the consistency of rubber, you don't have to worry about that, it's as hard as rock.
-The Architect
-----
Old April 10, 2014, 03:43 PM   #16
Millet

Quote:
Are planning on using straight JB weld, or are you going to add a filler in, such as micro-balloons?
I wasn't planning on using filler but it might also make it thicker. I got the commercial grade which is steel reinforced. I was planning on using kwik neutral shoe polish for release agent.
Old April 10, 2014, 11:23 PM   #17
Slopemeno

If you're going to add a filler use "Cab-O-Sil". It's uch stronger than microballons.
Old April 11, 2014, 07:54 PM   #18
tobnpr

It's thin in viscosity but not inferior in any way other than that in terms of shrinkage, compressive strength, or other relative measures.

Devcon is popular because it provides all the "right" properties, out of the tub without having to modify it.

I add fillers when I use JB (though I usually use West System now)- but I would NEVER use microballoons.

They have zero structural strength, and are used only as a fairing filler for easier sanding. Colloidal silica, or high density fillers, or powdered aluminum or steel are best suited for this application IMO.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/filler-selection-guide/
Old April 11, 2014, 08:13 PM   #19
Lucas McCain

The main concern when using this epoxy stuff for bedding is how much it will shrink as it ages. Those persnickkitty bench rest boys have done the experimentation and that is why Devcon with steel was arrived at.
IMO I would use the same quality bedding material on all my rifles. Because the question is; What are you hoping to improve by bedding it? If its just a ole hunting rifle that doesn't need to be accurate, why bed it. Just saying, good luck.
Old April 11, 2014, 10:22 PM   #20
Buzzard Bait

I use jb weld

Yes I do I've tried other commercial bedding kits I like JB weld better. It's easy to use very strong stays where you put it while it dry's. You can cut, sand it, grind it. Seems to not be bothered by oil I repaired a engine block that had a porous spot in the water jacket with the stuff and the repair has lasted for years. I also use play dough to fill areas I don't want the epoxy to get into and Pam Spray for a release agent. It all works well for me I have access to and have tried other components and kits but I like jb weld better so call be bubba if you want.
Old April 12, 2014, 12:41 PM   #21
Huffmanite

90% of the time, when I'm doing a bedding job, I use the JB Quick Weld that sets up in 5 or so minutes. I generally just mix up a small batch that I can work with for a couple of minutes before it sets and do only one area I'm concerned with at a time. Works well for me.
Old April 13, 2014, 09:42 AM   #22
srtolly1

I used JB Weld on my sporterized Mosin (bubba did it not me). The ATI stock looked like it was modified with an ax. I bedded the entire action to strengthen some weak points. Used turtle wax paste for release. Been a couple years now and a couple hundred rounds without issues.
Old April 13, 2014, 08:23 PM   #23
Millet

Well guys, just thought I'd let u all know how it's progressing. I made some brass pillars and epoxied them in with JB weld. Turned out pretty nice. Tomorrow hopefully I can shoot it and see if I can see a difference in accuracy. One thing...... I thought it was a little too runny and ran down almost before I had time to put the action in. Another thing is the color......doesn't match the stock too good but o well, I'll maybe refinish the stock some day Glad I did my "ole deer rifle" first as I will do a few things different on my next bedding job. Thanks guys for all the info........Happy Shooting
Old April 21, 2014, 04:19 AM   #24
hooligan1

I just finished filling two synthetic forearms with JB Weld, it stiffenend those dudes up like steel....I will be usuing it again....
Old April 23, 2014, 03:59 PM   #25
jfruser

Howdy:

Are there any decent fillers to be had at Lowes/Home Depot? That is where I get my JB Weld, so I am hoping for a one-stop-shop.

I am going to "practice" bedding an action with my son's & daughter's Crickett .22LR rifles. My daughter has two stocks, one of which I cut down and can be sacrificed if I make sweet, sweet, love to the canine on this project.