The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2014, 07:53 PM   #1
bigarm

Help needed with Beretta 1201 FP

I haven't used my 1201 FP for over 7 years and have misplaced the manual. I need to know how to safely unload it. I will be using it this weekend and need to know by then. I can load it fine, but it has some different operating procedures. For example, you can't load the magazine and then pull the bolt handle to load a shell. I know there must be an easy way to safely unload this shotgun. I have been searching the internet for several hours without success. Can anyone give me a quick tutorial? Thanks
Old April 17, 2014, 03:26 PM   #2
mete

Do I remember correctly that the 1201 is actually a Benelli ? if so it's very close to the Benelli in operating and take-down .
Old April 17, 2014, 07:51 PM   #3
amd6547

With the action cocked and the chamber empty, turn the shotgun upside down.
The carrier should be free to move up, as when loading.
Push up the carrier...you will see the base of the shell and the shell latch holding it in the magazine (right side of receiver, on your left when it's upside down).
Push the shell latch, and the shell slides out.
Easy!
I love my 1201FP.
Old April 17, 2014, 09:45 PM   #4
bigarm

Thanks. I worked with it some more and figured it out also. I like the gun also. I ordered a Remington Versa Max Tactical to use for 3 gun matches, but it hasn't come in yet, so the Beretta will get it's first 3 gun work out Saturday. Mine only holds 6 ( 1 in the chamber plus 5 in the mag) so will need to reload more often than others. I won't be competitive anyway, so a little more reloading will just equal more practice which I definitively need. I used it a few times in tactical matches some years ago and it worked fine, but not as many rounds fired in that game. It does kick pretty good though, especially with slugs. Thankfully, no slugs this weekend!
Old April 17, 2014, 10:09 PM   #5
amd6547

Mine holds six 2 3/4" shells in the mag...I thought that was standard on all 1201FP's. Plus, it is possible to ghost load an extra round on the carrier, so eight total.
I got mine two years ago, it is Detroit police surplus, but looks pretty new.
The standard stock is a little long for me, but I got a Choate Buttstock with pistol grip, which is shorter.
Old April 18, 2014, 09:22 AM   #6
bigarm

Later made ones have the mag tube crimped so they only take 5 I've been told. Good info on the choate stock as this is too long for my wife. I was thinking about selling it, but maybe can get a stock. Do you know the model you bought?
Old April 18, 2014, 12:39 PM   #7
amd6547

The stock I bought looks identical to this:
http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/SGS/01-01-42

Beretta actually supplied this Choate stock with 1201FP's.
Just call Choate and ask. Hopefully, they still have some. I find it works pretty well, and I normally prefer standard sporting-style stocks on shotguns.
I run it without any of the spacers, as I wanted to shorten up the shotgun...
Old April 20, 2014, 06:15 PM   #8
bigarm

Thanks amd6547!