The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2014, 07:55 PM   #1
PatrickBateman

Reloading service?

So i don't have much money at the moment or time to begin my own reloading but i was wondering if anyone knows if theres such a service where we can send our brass too, and have them reload it for us and then have it sent back to me? Does something like this exist? Seems like a reasonable business model to me. If anyone knows of anything or why this is a bad thing or something i should avoid please help!
Old April 2, 2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

This is one of those posts that others will chime in with more expert opinions than me, but here goes:

First, the lawyer of someone contemplating the opening of such a business would seriously cringe.

Second, the consumer would have to be very selective of the person who would be doing this work for them. There aren't many people who I'd shoot their reloads in my guns - I could count them with one hand, with fingers to spare. Which BTW, I can't spare any fingers - if you get my drift.
Old April 2, 2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Blindstitch

As stated it's a big deal being a reloading service. Plus that would probably only get you generic loads. The reason to reload is to custom make exact loads for certain firearms and possibly cheaper ammo. One load might not be the same as the next.

What are you looking to reload?

There are cheap kits out there or you can even buy just a few pieces here or there and add more stuff later.

I started reloading 30-30 which was as simple as a press, set of dies, and scale. Now I have several dies, scales, presses and who knows what else.

The old lee loaders for $20 use to supply everything needed except a hammer.

Old April 2, 2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Jim Watson

There are several companies doing brass exchange commercial reloading.
Send in empties, get back reloads. If you want YOUR brass bac, it costs extra.
That is only for the most common practice type Econoball. True custom loading is available, but very expensive "Please load me a case of .500 Nitro Express, Jeffrey loading."
Old April 2, 2014, 08:39 PM   #5
j357

Oh there might be someone who would do this for you, but you wouldn't want to pay for it.

Think about the shipping of your brass... gonna cost you $15 to send a flat rate box containing a volume of spent brass worth the trouble... Then at least double that to get it back. Now you are at $45 per 1000 rounds in shipping.

Brass is worth around $2 per pound as scrap. The business model works well for someone who is in the business of selling you ammo and getting you to ship brass to them at your expense.

If you really are insistent on trying this, suggest you check out Freedom Munitions at http://www.freedommunitions.com/About-Us-s/1820.htm. I have no relation to them and have done no business with them, just offered as an example.

I would suggest you try to buy ammo in bulk, shipped to your location of choice and not try to deal with the headache of returning brass. IE try http://ammoseek.com/ Again, I have not dealt with this vendor.... YMMV

YMMV a lot, as always.
Old April 2, 2014, 09:05 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

You don't state what caliber or cartridge you are interested in . . .

As stated, a Lee kit is a cheap way to get started . . . check here for examples - these are what they have in stock but there are other calibers available . . .

http://www.titanreloading.com/presse...sic-lee-loader

To get started - you want to study a good reloading manual or "How To" -

"The ABCs of Reloading" - C.R. James - an excellent book to have and refer to . . .

As an example - if you are going to reload 38 spl . . . a good simple straight wall cartridge to learn on . . .

A1# container - Bulls Eye, W231, HP38, Red Dot, etc. - depending upon your area will run probably $20 - $24 . . . 7,000 grains to a pound so a typical wadcutter load for 38 spl of 2.7 gr of Bulls Eye give you a lot of loads per poundLo

Small Pistol Primers - The last I purchased were $34.95 /1,000 - I've seen prices up to $45 / 1,000

Bullets - if you want to shoot lead - you can buy them in quantity from vendors on sites such as "Cast Boolit" - or you can by plated or jacketed - price will vary - I cast my own lead bullets and that's all I shoot - I tumble live in Alox/Paste Wax - a bottle of Alox will go a long way . . . .

For measuring powder charges - you need a good balance or digital scale . . . it's important that you check your loads so that they are accurate - an overcharge can be a disaster . . . . once you figure out a load (gr. wt. of powder), a "dipper" of the correct size can be used to measure each charge out - lot's of folks use the "dipper method" - the trick is to be consistent each time that you measure a charge out . . . .

Loading data can be gotten off of the powder mfg. site for what powder/bullet you are using. The golden rule is "start low and work up" - i.e. - start with minimum recommend load (grain weight of powder) and work up until you find what works best in your pistol.

A lot of folks have used the Lee kits that the link will take you to for years with great success. You don't need a lot of fancy and expensive equipment to reload - but you do need the correct equipment to reload - and don't take shortcuts!

Used reloading equipment can often be found in the WTS threads of reloading forums such as this and others - check out the Cast Boolit site.

If you are in a position that you think you might want to try to reload - I'd suggest tailing to some of the folks in your LGS and see if anyone there could help you out - it would be nice if you could make contact with someone who already reloads that would be willing to show and explain the process to you - and you just might find someone that you can establish a friendship with that can help you to reload some of your own . . .

Best of luck to you . . . but remember . . if you want to reload, then take the time to study the process, read manuals, read information about it on sites such as this and if something confuses you . . ask questions. Everyone is new to it at some point and there are a lot of good folks here that can answer your questions.

This is sort of a hurried "basic" explanation but it's something that you may choose to pursue . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 2, 2014, 11:05 PM   #7
Reloader2

I did see some reloaded ammo in the LGS a while ago. Looked to have been done by a private party. I asked a similar question and got quite a bit of feedback regarding the legal issues involved.
Old April 3, 2014, 01:46 AM   #8
PatrickBateman

would be reloading 357 mag and 38 spcl
Old April 3, 2014, 02:27 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

At least three of the gun shops in my area offer reloading services. But with common handgun cartridges, I can almost guarantee you won't get back YOUR brass. I have no idea what the fee is, but I would assume it's just a smidgen less than the price of their "remanufactured" ammo (commercial reloads that they sell).

In my opinion, it isn't really worth the trouble of losing your brass, just to get back mixed brass of unknown origin.
Buy commercial reloads, if you can't justify the expense of reloading equipment.

Otherwise.... take the plunge, and start rolling your own. (If you can find the necessary powder, primers, dies, and equipment, that is.....)
Old April 3, 2014, 04:04 AM   #10
Blindstitch

I wish I had a 357 because I would offer to help.

I have a Lee hand press and single stage press and they were both worth their money. Add a set of dies and a scale and you're good to go.

Lee stuff is quality and cheap.
Old April 3, 2014, 08:57 AM   #11
g.willikers

Yes, commercial reloaders exist.
Here's one, (just do a web search and you will find many others).
http://www.gunfirearms.com/
Old April 3, 2014, 09:59 AM   #12
Wyoredman

Freedom Munitions offers a "Brass Credit Program". http://www.freedommunitions.com/Bras...am-s/48072.htm

They will give you $2.50 per pound of brass off of any order you make with them.

Their ammo is top notch.
Old April 3, 2014, 10:47 PM   #13
Jay24bal

While I have heard of the "brass credit" programs some commercial remanufactured ammo companies offer, I have not heard of any that will guarantee that you will get your EXACT brass back. As others have pointed out, the cost savings will not be that great as it will not be cheap to ship the amount of brass you would need to in order to make placing the order worthwhile.

I have used two different remanufactured ammo companies with good results (Freedom Munitions and LAXAmmo). Both were reliable, accurate enough and relatively clean burning (except for the 45 ACP coming from Freedom). If saving money is the goal and you would like to get into reloading in the future, I recommend buying remanufactured ammo from somewhere like this and just hanging onto the brass for when you do begin.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "