The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2014, 07:23 PM   #26
Marco Califo

Redding

Redding makes an excellent and VERY affordable single stage press:
RR72100 The Boss Reloading Press $119.00 EACH
@ Wideners.com
Old March 29, 2014, 07:27 PM   #27
GTOne

Oh jeeze, again.

I'll bite. The RC is a great press, from 1960, the Lee Classic Cast is more press, for less money. It is a modern design, the spent primer system alone makes it better, not to mention the safety prime set-up, the frame made from heavy steel(railroad rails, if I recall).

Free free to buy a primer chucker, it is a good press, and RCBS will stand behind it, just remember it is from 1960 and has all the features of a 1960 press.
Old March 29, 2014, 09:12 PM   #28
garryc

For a regular duty press they don't get better
Old March 29, 2014, 09:31 PM   #29
cheezhed

I have a lee classic cast and a rockchucker and feel that they are equal in quality and strength. The rockchucker does cost more but over the life of the press it does not matter if you keep it long enough. They both are very good presses.
Old March 29, 2014, 10:49 PM   #30
BOOMST1CK

I use hornady, my buddy uses rcbs, other buddy has lee stuff. We all did our own research, and made our own choices, and guess what, we are all happy.
Old March 30, 2014, 12:50 AM   #31
guruatbol

I have a Dillon 550B and a RC. I like them both, but hardly use the RC at all. I use it for the precision 308 and 223 rounds. Most of what I load is the 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 44 Mag. Soon I will be loading 38 and 45 LC.

I have dies and tool heads set up for 44, 45 acp, 40 S&W, 223 and 308 and since all my shooting of late has been handguns.

I think most all the presses out there that are single stage do the same job. I have RC because it was a package deal when I bought my Dillon.

If it was not a deal, I probably would have not bought it. I would have just got the Dillon. When doing research, I was leaning hard toward the Hornady LNL progressive. I have also found that by skipping the powder fill on the Dillon and just removing the cartridge and filling it from my scale my precision rounds are pretty much the same as with my RC.

Just my .02.

Mel
Old March 30, 2014, 02:49 AM   #32
waveslayer

Awesome press. Reliable and worth the investment
Old March 30, 2014, 05:54 AM   #33
jsab9191

Have had both the Lee Classic cast and RC supreme. I favor the Lee due to the much superior depriming system . Both are rugged and will last a lifetime.
Old March 30, 2014, 06:40 AM   #34
garryc

All those presses work just fine for 98% of reloading. Only when you get into real precision does the specialty ones come into play. Then, many of those guys use an arbor press. Doing that with anything other than a precision chambered rifle is a waste of time. RCBS, Lee, Lyman, Redding, typical C or O presses all are fine. Note though, an aluminum C press sucks, too much spring.
Old April 2, 2014, 11:49 AM   #35
Bart B.

garryc, folks have been using RCBS Rockchucker and A4 presses to load ammo equally as accurate as any arbor press has ever produced. And the ammo doing that's been shot in SAAMI spec chambers, too, not special sized custom ones.
NRA Smallbore Prone Master
Old April 2, 2014, 03:48 PM   #36
Lemmon

I like RCBS but the Lee Classic Cast has....

I like RCBS but the Lee Classic Cast has a great spent primer catcher that works great. I have over the years had a number of presses. My old Lyman sent spent primers all over the floor and that is a real pain to clean up. RCBS Rock Chucker is a very good press but you may be picking up spent primers off the floor..

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina