The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 13, 2014, 10:24 PM   #26
Oriyen

big speed safety

photo of big speed safety, painted red ring on safety to enhance visual check of safety, yes I know when the safety is engaged or disengaged but I thought it was a nice touch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Attachment-13.jpeg (34.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg Attachment-12.jpeg (29.5 KB, 14 views)
Old January 13, 2014, 10:44 PM   #27
Oriyen

Ruger480 I ran 16 rounds of 2-3/4" full power 00 through it the other day and yes it left a nice bruise on my shoulder, I am 6'-4" & I weigh about 360pounds & the recoil was impressive to say the least.

I also shot some Remington reduced recoil 00 buck & it was much milder than the full power rounds . quieter, less recoil , less muzzle flash at night in the dark.

I did cycle the gun with some authority and had no problems with either type of shell I used .

I have not had a chance to pattern it yet but will do so as soon as I get the barrel rethreaded for Rem chokes & a large brass bead sight installed , I found a smith here in OKC that is going to do it for me as soon as I get the chance to take him the barrel.
Old March 22, 2014, 05:18 PM   #28
Oriyen

added shell holder to stock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (195.6 KB, 7 views)
Old March 22, 2014, 05:54 PM   #29
Ruger480

That setup is much better. Have you tried any 3.5s yet? Quite frankly I find those things unnecessary. 3 inchers are more than adequate in my opinion.
Old March 22, 2014, 10:59 PM   #30
Slopemeno

You might want to hook up with your local bowling pin league, and try running that thing against the timer.

I think you'll find the ergos of the factory wood stock are way superior to the, uhm, accessory stocks.

Here's why- they big advantage to using a long gun in a defensive situation is the four points of contact- butt, cheek, right hand, left hand. Most of these aftermarket stocks don't give you the cheekweld that makes the shotgun such an instinctive hitter. In the dark, at speed, under stress, you won't get a cheekweld, and you're more likely to miss.

In my opinion, less is more with a defensive shotgun.

Last edited by Slopemeno; March 25, 2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old March 24, 2014, 07:07 PM   #31
Pahoo

Deleted

Deleted