The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 14, 2014, 07:09 AM   #1
ninjaamt

Mosin M44 question

Can the bayonet lug be removed or is it welded in place?
Old March 14, 2014, 12:47 PM   #2
seanc

Yes. It can be removed. It isn't soldered into place, though it'll seem like it if you try to remove it.

From someone who already did this: don't. It's a huge PITA and the barrel has a step in it where the bayo was. Not attractive. If you don't like the mounted bayonet, get an M38. Or a 91/30 and chop it down if you want. That'll be easier, look better, and uses a less expensive donor rifle for the opperation.
Old March 14, 2014, 12:57 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

In addition to the ugly step in the barrel....
The front sight is integral to the bayonet mount. Lose the bayonet mount/lug - lose the sight.

Your only other option is to cut it off.
Old March 14, 2014, 03:45 PM   #4
ninjaamt

Thanks guys, I cut the lug off, ground it round, and blued it. Dropping it in the ATI stock now! What a make over! Lol. The bolt functions well but is tough on the extraction cycle after firing, any ideas?
Old March 14, 2014, 04:41 PM   #5
seanc

Did you clean it real good? You need to clean every bit of cosmoline off that rifle and take a 20 gauge brass brush to the chamber.

After it's cleaned real well, lube the rails and the bearing parts of the bolt. I like to use lithium-moly grease.

Lastly, what ammo are you shooting? Is it brass or surplus ammo? If I mix surplus and brass on the same outing, I have sticky bolt syndrome, but if I shoot brass only or steel case only, I can shoot for hours without a hitch.

In the future, you might want to post in the Bolt, Lever and Pump action section instead of General.
Old March 14, 2014, 04:52 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
The bolt functions well but is tough on the extraction cycle after firing, any ideas?
Some surplus ammo will cause a sticky bolt. I found that the steel cased will cause mine to bind often. It works fine with brass.
Old March 14, 2014, 04:54 PM   #7
tobnpr

Quote:
The bolt functions well but is tough on the extraction cycle after firing, any ideas?
What seanc said....

Google "mosin nagant sticky bolt".
Any cosmoline residue in the chamber will heat up and ooze out of any machining marks/imperfections in the lug recesses.

Brake cleaner for sure and thorough cleaning, the shotgun chamber brush is a great idea if you have one.
Old March 14, 2014, 06:03 PM   #8
ninjaamt

Thanks all great ideas! It will play out well when I get to the range again. Right now I m just playing with a blank after checking the headspace and firing pin limits. Glad there is lots of utube tips too!
Old March 14, 2014, 06:37 PM   #9
ninjaamt

What is the proper way for a round to feed when driven forward by the bolt? Is it suppose to rise up under the extractor? Or does the extractor end snap over the case after it chambers in the breech?
Old March 15, 2014, 11:08 AM   #10
ninjaamt

What no one knows?
Old March 15, 2014, 12:39 PM   #11
Heavy Metal 1

OP, I'll be the first to tell you that you just decreased the resale value of that gun in half. It is your private property to do as you wish, but dang, I hate to see that. There's lots of already chopped ones out there. You could have sold yours and taken half that $ and purchased an already chopped one. You'd have the configuration you wanted and you'd be $ ahead. I know it's too late for you, but others may want to heed this.
Old March 15, 2014, 01:37 PM   #12
ninjaamt

I hear yea, but its in my nature to customize! Do you know about the extractor question?
Old March 15, 2014, 01:53 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
OP, I'll be the first to tell you that you just decreased the resale value of that gun in half. It is your private property to do as you wish, but dang, I hate to see that.
I understand the sentiment, but turning a $150 rifle into a $100 rifle isn't a big deal to me.

In some markets, it would actually increase the value - since most buyers in some parts of the country use them as hunting rifles, and don't want the side-folding bayonet weighing the rifle down, rattling, and snagging on everything.

Personally.... I bought an M38, to avoid the bayonet.
In most markets they're more desirable (and more expensive) than the M44s, but I picked mine up for "M44 money."
Because the M38 was in an M44 stock, the shop owner thought someone had hacked the bayonet off. Even as a gun dealer, the silly man didn't know the M38s existed.

ninjaamt, I'd help you out with the extractor question, but....
I don't remember how it works, and my M38 is in the far corner, at the very back of an extremely over-crowded safe.
I believe it's a push-feed action, with a snap-over extractor. I just don't remember for certain.
Old March 15, 2014, 02:28 PM   #14
ninjaamt

Right, I would like to know about the extractor before I break one! Lol
Old March 15, 2014, 02:31 PM   #15
Heavy Metal 1

The bayo is used to charge the deer in case you missed w/ the ammo
Old March 15, 2014, 02:36 PM   #16
ninjaamt

Haha yes! Mine actually has a screwdriver end on it! Those Ruskies were pretty smart.
Old March 15, 2014, 04:06 PM   #17
nemesiss45

I can pull my mosin out when I get home tonight and check the extractor
Old March 16, 2014, 03:11 AM   #18
nemesiss45

the extractor snaps over as you close the bolt
Old March 16, 2014, 07:10 AM   #19
ninjaamt

Right, thanks! I hear that from others too. I guess that helps eliminate that feeding issue. My Carcano is sensitive to the more sensitive controlled feed and needs the round under the extractor going in.
Old March 26, 2014, 07:43 PM   #20
PHEASANTPETE

M44 Mosin will become more valuable.

The M44 Mosin in very good condition and of later manufacturing dates have been steadily rising as the supply dries up. They were never produced in the numbers of the 91/30's.

I sold one last year for $250 to a collector who liked the laminate stock and later date of manufacuring. I payed $130 a couple of years earlier and hand picked it out of a dozen choices. It likely never saw much use as the SKS and AK-47 became the standard. The Ruskies did keep them well protected for just in case use and sent the crap to Korea and Vietnam.

If you got a horribly machined one do as you like but if it is a better specimen consider that your mod destroys a limited historical piece and one would be better selling it for a profit to a collector. Then use that money to chop up a lesser valued rifle. My dad owned an excellent Mauser that was sporterized and the value is much less than half if it had been left alone. When it was sporterized many of the same arguments were made that there were to many to be of any real value at that time.
Old March 29, 2014, 06:35 AM   #21
8MM Mauser

Sell the M44 and buy something else. I had one for 3 years and it always shot like crap, I sold it for a 180% profit and got a shotgun. The price of an M44 will go a long way towards something like a Ruger American; or even a better Mosin like the 91. A buddy of mine has a 91 and it is very accurate for a milsurp.

http://benjaminraber.hubpages.com/