The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 2, 2014, 01:07 PM   #76
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
First, in science fiction, they always seem to work.
Almost always. In Scalzi's Old Man's War series, the standard infantry rifle is keyed to the individual user. At one point, the bad guy hacks the neural network, and the rifles become useless.

And that's the problem. Anything can be hacked, and often is with alarming regularity and speed. There's a very active and lucrative black market for so-called zero-day exploits in software, and I've no doubt that the market would pounce on the opportunity to hack "smart gun" technology.

Imagine a given technology being used to arm large police departments, or our military. Now imagine an enemy being able to hack and neutralize that technology. No thanks.
Old March 2, 2014, 10:41 PM   #77
KyJim

Who knows, perhaps in a few years a little pin in the grip frame will prick the holder and check the user's DNA profile. Evidently, a gene sequencer on a USB stick is practically ere.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old March 6, 2014, 12:30 PM   #78
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
check the user's DNA profile
Well, there you go. Convicted felons will have a tag in their DNA file, so each smart gun will know they can't be authorized users. OF course, each gun will have to be able to communicate with the central database, and be updated, for that to work.

And, once you get that, then hacking the system will bring down ALL the guns...

We have such good times to look forward to....
Old March 6, 2014, 03:45 PM   #79
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z4

Seems the store, clueless, was surprised by the opposition to its support of this smart gun. The owner wanted to revolutionize gun ownership and help come to a compromise between pro and antis.

As usual - they do not see the risk of such accessories being mandated by legislation.

In the abstract, sure - if you want such - buy it. BUT - we know that such mechanism are a large ploy to limit gun ownership. The didn't see that.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old March 7, 2014, 09:34 AM   #80
Skans

Quote:
Well, there you go. Convicted felons will have a tag in their DNA file, so each smart gun will know they can't be authorized users. OF course, each gun will have to be able to communicate with the central database, and be updated, for that to work.

And, once you get that, then hacking the system will bring down ALL the guns...

We have such good times to look forward to....
And, certainly 1000X easier to circumvent than building a machine gun. So, once again, criminals will just snip the wire and have undocumented access to firearms; and law abiding citizens will be threatened with 10,000 years in jail for modifying the smart gun that tracks the owner.
Old March 7, 2014, 12:07 PM   #81
44 AMP
Staff

How here's a thought, If we take the scenario that only smart guns are legal, and disabling the smart mechanism is a crime, would a criminal (felon/prohibited person) be legally protected from prosecution for doing that, they way they are protected from prosecution for failing to register a gun?

A convicted felon caught with a gun can be prosecuted for having the gun, but cannot be prosecuted for not registering the same gun, because it violates their rights....
Old March 7, 2014, 03:07 PM   #82
Spats McGee
Staff

Yes, but the whole problem of prosecuting felons for failing to register guns (which they're not allowed to possess in the first place) runs afoul of the A5. Prosecuting a felon for: (a) possessing a pistol; and (b) disabling the "smart technology" would not run into the same problem. Prosecuting them for failing to apply for a permit to disable same (for example) might.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old March 8, 2014, 05:20 PM   #83
KyJim

Disabling the technology would be similar to dremeling off the serial number.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old March 9, 2014, 05:13 AM   #84
YeshuaSaves

If you have extra cash, it might be a cool toy.

a self defense weapon? not even once
Old March 9, 2014, 09:43 AM   #85
Chris_B

Quote:
Disabling the technology would be similar to dremeling off the serial number.
Permanent defacement of an s/n would be the same as installing removable parts?

That's an interesting scenario, I'm not sure I agree.

However that brings up the question of 'non-smartchip-modified grips', etc being illegal to even own. And internals, if necessary...how does legislation manage to determine that every firearm is still safe when the internals are modified? That modification of internals would need to be done by a 'smith. And so I wear out one of those modified parts....I cannot install a non-modified one, or it is now an illegal firearm. But who says the mod, even when done by a 'smith, is actually as reliably safe as the non-modified example? Who does the testing? Anyone?
Old March 9, 2014, 10:27 AM   #86
L2R

It's almost like not having a gun....Hmmmmm

For those who shoot regularly, we already understand the the variables that reduce the odds of a gun discharging 100% of the time.

For those who are afraid of guns, this probably makes pretty good sense on the surface and that is as far as they need to go.

For those who are losing the battle against us having guns, it's the next best thing because it's almost the same thing.

What scares me more is the idea of it. If it sticks around, if we adapt to it even a little by a few, we might all be stuck with it some day.

Before you can install a battery in your watch, the police and the criminals will have a device to disable it before they get within 100 yards of you.

THIS IS USELESS.

Evil cannot be reduced thru Legislation!

Last edited by L2R; March 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old March 9, 2014, 01:00 PM   #87
KyJim

Quote:
Permanent defacement of an s/n would be the same as [un]installing removable parts?

That's an interesting scenario, I'm not sure I agree.
Any legislature that would pass a statute making it mandatory to have one would likely make it illegal to remove it. They do things like that now, like making it illegal to have a magazine with a capacity of more than 7 or 10 rounds.
Old March 9, 2014, 01:11 PM   #88
Chris_B

I understand that implicitly. However I can do several things to a firearm that are illegal but are not similar to defacing an s/n, and this is what I am referring to

Also, I'm curious as to why you feel the need to 'correct' me in your quote. If the firearm is legal by virtue of those 'smart' parts, I would be making it illegal by installing a removeable 'illegal' part, not by uninstalling a legal part
Old March 10, 2014, 05:50 PM   #89
KyJim

Quote:
I'm curious as to why you feel the need to 'correct' me in your quote.
No offense intended. I took it that you were talking about first uninstalling the offending technology in favor of installing something else. Perhaps I misunderstood you. In either regard, it would be disabling the technology that would be illegal, however done.
Old March 12, 2014, 06:10 PM   #90
Chris_B

No worries Jim It's hard to tell exactly what we mean sometimes online.

this thread has made me want to take my US Property 1918 Model of 1911 out and tell it that everything's going to be OK...
Old March 13, 2014, 12:08 AM   #91
DaleA

Quote:
this thread has made me want to take my US Property 1918 Model of 1911 out and tell it that everything's going to be OK...
Best comment yet.

But wait. The more I think about it, it might be that your 1918 Model of 1911 is going to reassure YOU that everything will be OK.
Old March 13, 2014, 05:41 AM   #92
Micahweeks

All paranoia aside, I expect more guns to eventually incorporate electronics in their internals. Whether or not WiFi or Bluetooth is the best choice, I'm not sure. I'm skeptical. But, shielded, wired internals? I could see some innovations coming out there. Time will tell, I guess. As it is right now, though, I wouldn't buy this one.
Old March 13, 2014, 10:55 AM   #93
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

The obvious next electronic step is to put a little ol' camera under the barrel. Thus, it can record your self-defense shooting.

Would this be for the good or bad? Police resisted cameras then found out on the average it supported them against criminals.

Michael Dunn or George Zimmerman (as examples, don't rehash) might have had different trials if we had a record of what happened from time of draw.

Interesting thought.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter