The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 25, 2014, 12:55 PM   #1
TunnelRat

Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact

Hi all,
I had never heard of these until the other post. I have read generally good reports online, though the occasional negative. I like DA/SA pistols and this seemed like it might be worth trying. Seems right in line with the size I like. Anyone have one and how was your experience been?

-TR

(Mods - you can merge this thread with the other, though my question is more on the gun and not about rifling type)
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 25, 2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Marty8613

Hey hey

Hey, let me get mine purchased before driving the price up!

I haven't found much bad about these. Though I might have to get two. 40 and 45
Old February 25, 2014, 01:01 PM   #3
TunnelRat

Lol, not enough room for two? It does seem that the price has gone up over the years. Best price i can find is like $425. Still a good price.
Old February 25, 2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Marty8613

UC40

I am making a special 50 mile trip this weekend, just to touch and feel this one. If I could stand to wait two more weeks, I could buy it then. I have no patience at all. The trip is to look at several I was considering, just to make sure they are off the list. I see nothing that will cause me change my mind though. I already own a a Bersa, and the only thing I am worried about is being too brand loyal. I beleive, in this field anyway, a mix of brands is the best choice. Especially with starting over as I am.

Nevada TX, here I come.
Old February 25, 2014, 01:38 PM   #5
michael t

I gave both my 9mmUC to members of my family for home and carry .

come visit

http://bersachat.com

For the 380 lovers their a double stack Bersa Thunder 15+1
Old February 25, 2014, 04:46 PM   #6
Sparks1957

I have both the 9mm and the .45, and I think they are fine handguns for the money. Accurate in my hands, good ergonomics, truly compact with decent capacity. If you're looking for a fine fit and finish, you're in the wrong place however.
Old February 25, 2014, 06:11 PM   #7
Pinky Carruthers

I have two UCs. Over 1k through each with no problems. They also have some of the best triggers of all my DA/SA pistols.
SOM
Old February 25, 2014, 07:02 PM   #8
Waspinator

I believe you read my post in Marty's thread about Bersa's polygonal rifling, that pretty much sums up my opinion.(post #4)

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542479

Here is a link to my thread about my first trip to the range with my Bersa a couple of weeks ago. This is my first semi-auto (all revolvers for the rest) and this is after my first range trip with it with the first 100 rounds thru the gun.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541518

I did a little better the last time I went, not so many low fliers, but I still haven't gotten my aim for this gun dialed in. It is a work in progress.

I love it though, and I tried a lot of guns.. even picked this one over the CZ75 PCR that was in the case next to it.. just liked everything about it.
Old February 25, 2014, 07:40 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
Anyone have one and how was your experience been?
It's OK.

Mine's a .45, and the older (non-"pro" version).

Initial feeding problems were problems with my handloads. Shoots where I point it. The hammer bites me if I'm not careful how I grip.

I've never handled and I don't think I've ever even seen an Ultra Carry in 9 or .40. (BTW, supposedly you can buy slide and barrel from Bersa's US distributor, and make a conversion kit.) The .45 is fat in the grip. The guy I bought mine from had ordered it sight unseen, then found that it was really too big for his stubby fingers.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 26, 2014, 06:55 AM   #10
dontcatchmany

I have the 9 UC Pro and the 45 UC Pro.

The 9 was purchased new last year online for 400ish bucks plus FFL.

The 45 was owned by a friend about 100 miles from me (I had a doctors appt. in that town and had some time on my hands) and had been used. Last September I believe. Actually did not have a single blemish on it so I believed my friend that it had been fired only about 50 times. I paid 325 including FFL. He said he purchased it thinking it would be small enough to conceal carry but it turned out to be a little too heavy for him. I OWB conceal it at times.

I now have over 1000 rounds through both pistols and not a bit of problem with all types of ammo. Heck the Bersa 45 ate a box of ammo that my FNX 45 did not seem to like.

I tend to like the DA/SA hammer fired pistols and have FNX 40 and 45 and a Sig and a Ruger among others. And being lefthanded I like the ambi controls....and am finding that I can switch from left to right easily.

The Bersas are great shooting weapons and I fully trust them. If I was in the market for another weapon and did not have a large amount of cash available I would put Bersa on the search list.
Old March 3, 2014, 02:18 PM   #11
Marty8613

Bullet Trap

'The Bullet Trap' in Plano has the 9mm on their rental. Looks like the only one in town for rental. I'll be there Saturday to check it out.
Old March 3, 2014, 07:00 PM   #12
td9323

Ive got two of them, both 9mm. Both have a couple thousand rounds through them with no issues. A bunch of other "nicer" stuff has come and gone including several CZ's but Ive kept these because they were inexpensive and they work.
Old March 3, 2014, 08:12 PM   #13
TunnelRat

How do people find them in terms of width? I'm imagining they might be a bit fat given the capacity and alloy frame.
Old March 3, 2014, 09:20 PM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
How do people find them in terms of width? I'm imagining they might be a bit fat given the capacity and alloy frame.
Mine's the .45. And the non-pro version. "Wide" through the grip, and the ambidextrous safety and slide release (which are very easy to reach and operate) do stick out. I think (but couldn't tell you for a fact, never having seen one in the flesh) that the current ones have reduced the profile of the controls.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 6, 2014, 12:52 AM   #15
Arobbins

I had two one in 45 the other 380. 380 i loved it.45 was a good gun but the kick was like a cannon very painfull to shoot did not keep it long
Old March 6, 2014, 07:20 AM   #16
dean1818

I had a 40 UC

It was 100 reliable, and accurate

But

It seemed to have much harsher recoil than other 40s i have owned

Its width was too thick for comfortable IWB carry

And a much smaller issue, The slide was splotchy

It was replaced .....

Shield 40 today.....

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old March 6, 2014, 09:08 AM   #17
Waspinator

Quote:
They are fairly wide and probably not for some people. I don't mind the width but I can see it being off-putting to some. That said, they are not that much wider, or pretty much the same width as most double stacks. So, the area you actually grip is not to bad. I think the controls, while awesome to manipulate, add to the width of the gun overall and make it much wider then it needs to be.

The major problem is, there are virtually no options for aftermarket grips for these guns. So, if you don't like the way it feels in your hand, you have no recourse to try to make a change. So, I would say that this is a gun that you should handle first and not something to order blind (I have seen a few posts where people ordered blind and sold it shortly afer for not fitting their hands correctly).
Old March 6, 2014, 02:05 PM   #18
lee n. field

Quote:
The major problem is, there are virtually no options for aftermarket grips for these guns.
Hakan is the only one I'm aware of.
Old March 6, 2014, 02:10 PM   #19
chris in va

I looked at them but found out they have polygonal rifling, so that's out.
Old March 6, 2014, 02:16 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
I looked at them but found out they have polygonal rifling, so that's out.
That's not an issue for me.

I'm hoping to visit an lgs this week that supposedly has one just to get an idea on feel.
Old March 7, 2014, 04:21 AM   #21
Gruney

Good value

I have a UC9 that I CC in IWB hybrid. It is a wide gun, but as comfortable to carry as XD9 SC that I had. They are very similar in size, but the Bersa is much better looking IMHO.

I like hammer guns too, and paid $400 plus tax at LGS for two tone. Shoots good. Much better DA than Witness and SA almost as good.

Only knock i have is the safety locks the slide. I like to be able to load and clear the gun with safety on - for safety ya know? My M&P can do that which I really like. If it fits your hand you will probably like it. Beware hammer bite if you have big mitts, it has a small tail like a Sig.
Old March 7, 2014, 04:54 PM   #22
cohoskip

I have been lead to believe that polygonal rifling is an improvement over conventional rifling...

NRA Life Member
Old March 7, 2014, 06:24 PM   #23
lee n. field

Quote:
I have been lead to believe that polygonal rifling is an improvement over conventional rifling...
What people are worried about, I think, is the whole "don't shoot lead bullets in a Glock" thing. My understanding is that Bersa is OK with shooting lead through their barrels, as long as they're cleaned before shooting jacketed.
Old March 9, 2014, 07:19 AM   #24
vulcan73

9mm/40 S&W conversion...

Quote:
(BTW, supposedly you can buy slide and barrel from Bersa's US distributor, and make a conversion kit.)
That's exactly what I did. I acquired my Thunder UC in 40 S&W then got the 9mm slide and barrel plus two magazines direct from Eagle Imports for $175. I now have basically two Thunder UC's one in 40 S&W and the other in 9mm. It takes less than 60 seconds to make the conversion. This gun is the easiest I have ever owned to take down. I use it as a range gun in both calibers and for occasional carry in 40 S&W.

The gun has never failed to put all rounds into a torso sized target at 25 feet in either caliber which is what I expect as a defensive gun. To achieve smaller groups, it does take some effort.

Last edited by vulcan73; March 9, 2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old March 9, 2014, 09:50 AM   #25
Garycw

They are good looking & feeling guns. A little heavy for there size, but sturdy. I like the DA/SA also. I wasn't aware they have Poloygonal rifleing, but that's not a issue for me either, and possibly a +. Mine is a 9mm but I'd think its similar to the .40