The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 21, 2014, 04:53 PM   #26
RickB

A 1911 (what the Brits would call a "proper 1911") cannot be made cheaply. You can pay lower rent on your plant, pay your workers less than UAW wages that Colt pays, but you can't make a cheap 1911.
Considering a cheap 1911 as an introduction to the type is doing a disservice to both of you. You don't get the experience you should, and you'll tar the "1911" with a brush that should be reserved only for poorly-made copies.
I'd rate the ~$600 Philippines-made pistols to be the absolute minimum to rate full 1911 status.
Upgrading to made-in Brazil ([Springfield in the U.S.] where they apparently don't have a dirt floor in the factory) is worth the $100-$200 price difference.
Old February 22, 2014, 06:57 AM   #27
gyvel

Quote:
I'd rate the ~$600 Philippines-made pistols to be the absolute minimum to rate full 1911 status.
Upgrading to made-in Brazil ([Springfield in the U.S.] where they apparently don't have a dirt floor in the factory) is worth the $100-$200 price difference.
Not quite sure if you are implying that the Filipino Armscor factory has a "dirt floor," but quite the opposite is true. The facility is large and modern, with state-of-the-art modern equipment. Filipinos are hard-working, intelligent and diligent people. Shooters Arms, from Cebu City, Cebu are also of high quality. Armscor sponsors shooting events throughout the Philippines and Shooters Arms has numerous outlet stores in all the major cities. Metro Arms does not have too much of a prsence in the U.S. as of yet, but it appears that their firearms are of a decent quality as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Armscor facility.jpg (14.4 KB, 13 views)
Old February 22, 2014, 02:40 PM   #28
Nathan

So, how does it work after the return?

Also, isn't it illegal to direct ship him a gun with a different serial number?

FYI....when shipping a gun, there are 3 better solutions. Ask the maker to ship as it is their fault, not yours, that it is being shipped. Second, ask the shop that sold, and profited from the sale to ship so they clearly feel some pain for stocking high warranty guns. Third, ask the shop you bought it from or another to ship it and only pay like $10-$20 priority mail to ship it.
Old February 22, 2014, 04:43 PM   #29
qwiksdraw

What many don't understand in the pricing of guns, is the asic economics. If you were to factor in the cost of doing business in the Philippines ( labor, regulatory and legal) costs and the currency exchanges and convert all of this into US Dollars you would find that they would be in the same price range as the Remington, Ruger, Springfields, and even some Colt models.

That is why I top brand like STI has Armscor manufacture the frame. slide and barrel and assemble their Spartan line of 1911s. STI is able to sell a pistol in the very competitive market for lower priced pistols.

I have had a MetroArms Gov't Model for just over two years and have shot about 2500 rounds thru it with 100% reliability. This pistol may not have performed better than my Colt (1991), but it has clearly performed as well.

A $500 dollar pistol that performs well is a good deal. Simply that and no more.
Old February 22, 2014, 08:10 PM   #30
gyvel

Quote:
Also, isn't it illegal to direct ship him a gun with a different serial number?
No it is not. A manufacturer may either retrun ship a repaired gun or a replacement directly to an individual..
Old February 22, 2014, 09:59 PM   #31
Sevens

Quote:
Sadly, thanks to US laws, shipping a gun, especially a handgun, is crazy expensive
Not sure where "US laws" come in to this. As long as you ship it to a qualified recipient (FFL or manufacturer FFL) there's no law impeding anything.

As a non-FFL, you can't use postal, but I'm not sure I'd call that a "law." It's USPS regulation.

You can feel free to ship at the cheapest, slowest, worst level of service either UPS or FedEx offers and it's not against the law.

It goes against the rules of each of those companies, and it will NOT be covered for loss or damage, but it's not against the law to do it.

And folks simply must know that manufacturers and businesses ship firearms (long guns AND handguns) at the basic ground level of service by the hundreds/thousands daily.

To the subject, for the OP:
If I was in your spot, I would call Umarex, explain to them the kind of ridiculous out of pocket expense you incurred on their new gun and firmly ask or request that you be made whole.

For others in a similar predicament, first try to get the manufacturer to issue a pre-paid shipping label or "call-tag" for the handgun. If that is not successful, a lower-cost method of shipping that WILL get you full coverage on loss/damage in transit is to take the handgun to YOUR local FFL and pay him a fee for him to legally ship it via USPS Priority. His actual shipping will be around $15, and you'll owe him a fee for that service.
Old February 25, 2014, 07:42 AM   #32
gyvel

Quote:
What many don't understand in the pricing of guns, is the asic economics. If you were to factor in the cost of doing business in the Philippines ( labor, regulatory and legal) costs and the currency exchanges and convert all of this into US Dollars you would find that they would be in the same price range as the Remington, Ruger, Springfields, and even some Colt models.
Having been in some gun shops in the Philippines not too long ago, I found the same Armscor guns in the philippines to be about 20-40% higher than the comparable RIA U.S. model. Ditto for the Shooter's Arms guns. Can't say for Metro guns. Plus you need a government issued permit which costs money, bribes, etc.
Old February 25, 2014, 07:53 AM   #33
gyvel

I forgot to mention in an earlier post that I solved all my R100 problems by replacing all the internals and hammer with U.S. G.I. parts (except the trigger).
Old February 25, 2014, 10:00 AM   #34
guncheese

one of the issues i found with my Regent R200SS was that the trigger had way to much slop which allowed trigger bounce to be a issue (think double tap and follow) when i was trying to make the trigger "shootable".
i wound up peening the sides of the bow top and bottom and fitting it to the track.
that fixed it right up, except for one issue the trigger shoe is kinda short for the slot. and after measuring the slot im not sure i can even use a oversize shoe to get proper fit.
aside from that everything has been able to take just standard after market parts. i have a sti hammer,egw hard sear,grip screws and bushings,sear spring,main spring with cap and plunger,D+L slide stop,wilson extended mag catch,egw OS flat bottom firing pin stop,egw extractor(which i set the proper hook dimension with a soldered in shim),egw angle bore bushing and monogrammed plug and other items (havent replaced the disco yet cant see a reason to)
ya i know i have more in parts than i paid for it but its all about learning the ins and outs (wrecking your new 1911 is a great hobby!)
ive got right around 10K rounds thru her