The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 27, 2014, 04:24 PM   #1
us.marine

Long Range German K98 Mauser

Recently bought a "sporterized" k98 Mauser that apparently came out from Bubba's Kitchen Gunshop. I had to throw the old ugly stock in the trash, drill/tap again, rework the bolt handle, Duracoat the receiver and bottom metal and re-barrel it in .308 Win.

Started off like this:

Finished:

Features:

1944 German K98 Mauser action/Modified bolt.
Leupold one piece base and rings.
Boyds Classic Stock, painted dark forest green, textured.
Wilson Heavy Sportster 26" barrel, .308 Win.
Winchester 70 style safety modification.
Timney Featherweight trigger.
Leatherwood 4-16x50 scope.
NC Star compact bipod.
Military style leather sling.
Uncle Mike's sling swivels.
Duracoat receiver/bottom metal finish.

I do plan to upgrade some things. I am not pleased with the scope so I will be saving some money to buy a Vortex, Leupold or Night Force scope. I also want a Harris bipod and monopod, a Richards Microfit target stock and a Tubb's performance firing pin assembly. For now it will do like it is.

Click here for the complete build thread:
http://www.ncgunowners.com/forum/sho....php?tid=35687

Only God can judge terrorists. We arrange the meetings... US Marines.
Old January 27, 2014, 04:34 PM   #2
madmo44mag

Was the old barrel 8mm?????
If so was it worth saving???
And if those are yes's what are the markings on the barrel?
Old January 27, 2014, 04:41 PM   #3
us.marine

Old Barrel

Yes, the old barrel was 8mm. It's in superb shape.

I got it wrapped and packed, its in my storage right now.

It has the nazi "eagle" marks on it, the same as the receiver.

Old January 29, 2014, 12:27 PM   #4
Smokey Joe

Nice!

US Marine--(And thank you for your service)--Nice looking rework on that k98! Good pix, too. Now the next question: How's she shoot?

--Smokey Joe
Old January 29, 2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Erno86

Nice work on that Mauser. BTW...I have a Mueller safety on my fake 8mm German Mauser sniper. Any ideas as to how I can field strip the bolt?

Thanks

--- George Orwell
Old January 29, 2014, 11:56 PM   #6
bitttorrrent

Wow looks great. I am in process too. Old stock was rotting etc. Your stock is nicer and I am having problems fitting, but will be back together soon.
Old January 31, 2014, 12:40 PM   #7
us.marine

Well, I haven't gone to the range in a while. I still have to break-in the barrel to achieve max accuracy and service life. As soon as I do that I will post the results here.

Old February 3, 2014, 01:50 AM   #8
Mauserlance

Nice work!
Old February 15, 2014, 12:41 AM   #9
us.marine

Valentine's day shooting!

Old February 16, 2014, 05:18 AM   #10
trg42wraglefragle

Is the Boyd stock their standard laminated wood stock? Is it looks very much like a plastic one? I assume it's just the paint and texture that's done that.

How much would you say the stock weights?
Old February 16, 2014, 09:00 PM   #11
johnnydollar

Good looking Mauser and good job on the re-working of the rifle!
Old March 2, 2014, 08:47 AM   #12
us.marine

Muzzle Brake Installed!

Well, here it is! Just got the barrel and action back last night. The smith did a great job installing the Holland's Quick Discharge muzzle brake. I was having a lot of trouble with "rifle jump" while shooting from the bipod, that should take care of it. I think the green military sling looks super nice on the rifle. Also installed a Wheeler Engineering scope anti-cant level.

Next step, Tactical stock for my birthday and I am already saving some money for the Leupold scope (honestly I am un-decided between Leoupold and NightForce). I really have to get rid of my current scope, it is a piece of chinese made junk. I still think it is amazing what the rifle has come to be today. It was supposed to be a low cost shooter, and it became a "high speed-low drag" (Marine slang!) shooting machine. It also became my learning platform as many of you already know.

Old March 2, 2014, 08:54 AM   #13
us.marine

@trg42wraglefragle:

Yes, the stock is the standard Boyd's laminated stock. I had to paint it because I wanted an oil finish, but the laminations made the finish look horrible. I guess it was a problem of the oil and the glue... Ended up texturizing and painting it. I would say the stock alone weights around 3.5 pounds. They are light. I am currently looking for a tactical stock for Mauser 98, but honestly there are few companies that make stocks for Mausers. My options right now are McMillan, Richards Microfit Stocks and Boyd's, if they answer my request to offer their Tacticool stocks for Mauser 98.

Old March 2, 2014, 08:57 AM   #14
us.marine

Range Report I forgot to post before...

I finally received the David Tubb's Final Finish kit to fire-lap the barrel. Last time I went shooting, the shots were all around the place, because the barrel had not been properly broken-in and the scope is also giving me trouble. Since I don't have the time or money to shoot 250 + rounds to get the barrel properly broken in, a Final Finish kit was the ticket to get it done.

Right after firing the Tubbs ammo, according to the instructions, I cleaned up the barrel really well and proceeded to shoot regular ammo. I had ordered some Hornady Match 168 Gr. HPBT, but since UPS decided to screw my delivery, I had to use a some Australian Outback 165 Gr/Sierra Game King ammo I had laying around. It is very good ammo. The difference in grouping is huge. I shot a .900 in. group right away.

Took the target to the smith shop, and we both concluded that the scope can't hold windage zero, and that is why the group was shot almost in a line, one shot next to the other. The rifle should be more accurate as I keep shooting it, but for now, I am happy with the rifle shooting sub-moa at 100 yards. I have to make a piggy bank to buy me a better long range scope.

Will take it to the range again today to test it with the new muzzle brake and some match ammo.

Old March 12, 2014, 11:17 PM   #15
us.marine

Range Report

Range Report:

Went to the range today. It was super nice outside so I took advantage of the weather to go and do some shooting. For today, I had 2 boxes of Hornady Match 168gr HPBT ammo. I am still in the stage of testing different ammo to see what the rifle likes to shoot. It seems that I have found the perfect match for the rifle. Best 3 shot group of .400 in, from the prone and bipod. It's the group at the bottom left of the right target.

All the other groups were pretty close too and had plenty of ragged holes, but I managed to do something wrong while shooting and had some strays. That can only be corrected by practicing more and more. I am still getting used to the super light trigger, but I have found a way that I feel comfortable manipulating it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmfqbFmktM0

More updates will follow.

Old March 13, 2014, 02:55 PM   #16
taylorce1

Nice shooting, but where did you make the scope adjustments. I'd be happy with the ammunition if it shot that well, and as well as the group on the top left of the same target. However, if you didn't make many scope adjustments I'd question the accuracy of the ammunition being used.

If you overlay the top left and bottom left .4 group that would be a true representation of the accuracy of the rifle and ammunition. Of course that would be true only if you made no scope adjustments between the two groups. If you made no scope adjustments while shooting the all those groups, then when you overlay all the targets that would be the accuracy of the ammunition in the rifle you built and your shooting ability.

Your rifle is showing some true potential, and you did a great job bringing it back.
Old March 13, 2014, 04:53 PM   #17
Paul B.

Nice rifle and nice shooting. Too bad you chucked the old stock. I'd have taken it off your hands for a few bucks. Oh well.
Paul B.
Old March 16, 2014, 12:23 AM   #18
us.marine

@taylorce1

Yes, I did mess with the scope adjustments quite a bit. I know for a fact that the scope does not hold zero very well, that is one of the reasons I want to upgrade to something better. I was also having issues with getting used to shoot from the prone with a bag supporting the buttsock. That is why on most groups there is a couple of close shots and they a stray. By the time I shot the best group, I had already learned "the trick" of shooting from the bipod and using the bag to support the buttstock.

Hopefully next time I can apply all I learned and get better groupings.

Old April 9, 2014, 08:37 AM   #19
us.marine

Range Trip

Went to the range yesterday. Did some 500 yard steel gong shooting. Fun!

I did shoot at 100 yards to try sight-in the rifle as close as I could to center bullseye. The adjustments of the scope are really bad. I was shooting sub-moa anyways, but the erratic adjustments did not allow me to move shots just right to be dead center. Sometimes I would adjust half inch to the right, first shot dead center, then the following two would be really close ragged holes 2 inches away from the original shot. The same happened with the elevation adjustments. I always tap the scope several times after adjusting. Did not work.

Anyways, Boyds just came out with the Mauser 98 inlet for the tactical stock I wanted, their "Tacticool" design, so hopefully I will be ordering one of those next week, with custom length of pull. I am a little guy, so the standard length does not work with me. I had the same problem with M-16's in the Corps. I am going to settle for a Vortex PST 6-24X50, apparently they are really good scopes for the money. I wanted a Leupold or a NightForce, but I can't realistically afford that.

More updates will follow as soon I get the new stock and scope. Will upload pictures of the stock fitting and painting procedures.

Old April 25, 2014, 04:27 PM   #20
us.marine

Boyds' Tacticool

Boyds' Tacticool stock came in today. I already fitted the barreled action to the stock. After the pictures, I proceeded to glass bed the recoil lug area and the chamber area. The stock fits the action perfectly except in those spots. Tomorrow I will have the stock painted OD green, with a coat of automotive satin clear. SWFA SS 16X42 Tactical scope is on order.

Old April 25, 2014, 05:53 PM   #21
taylorce1

Looking good!
Old April 26, 2014, 01:26 PM   #22
us.marine

Finished stock

After separating the barreled action from the stock to verify the glass bedding, I painted the stock O/D Green and sprayed a nice coat of Hotrod Sating clear coat. I like the results. Now the only thing missing is the scope, which should be in my hands by Wednesday. Get it boresighted, zeroed and then go and ring some steel!

After the scope upgrade I will call this project done. I need to take more pictures when there is not much sun light out there.

Old May 9, 2014, 07:18 PM   #23
us.marine

Update

Finally had the time to snap some good pictures of the rifle with the new SWFA SS 16X42 scope. I am a happy camper. Now will take it to the range to zero it and hit some steel.

Ain't she purrty?

Old May 12, 2014, 05:28 PM   #24
tobnpr

Nice looking build.
I bought one of the Tacticool's (just to see what the competition's doing ) and my beef was the very low comb...but looks like you solved that problem with a Choate (?) riser.

Let us know how it shoots with the SWFA optic. If everything's tight, that optic will deliver. Looks like a lot of vertical spread with the initial groups, you'll find out if that was due to velocity spread or the old optic.

I'll never own another LR rifle without a brake. It's sweet being able to spot your hits at 1000 yards without needing a spotter.

When I'm done with my current Mosin-Nagant build I'm really considering a Mauser build. I've "built" our very accurate long-range Savages, but to me they're more of an "assembly", than a build to learn some smithing skills.

Was that a short chambered barrel, that you did the finish reaming by hand to set headspace? Any other accurizing of the action (lap lugs, true receiver face)?

Nothing like one you built yourself. Hope she delivers for you.
Old May 12, 2014, 07:10 PM   #25
Bart B.

I wouldn't put any bedding epoxy anywhere under the barrel. Totally free float it with at least 1/16 inch clearance. The receiver is plenty strong to hold the barrel. Any epoxy between the barrel and stock transfers forces bending the fore end to the barrel. All fore ends bend. Bedding pads under the chamber typically cause vertical shot stringing as the barrel expands from heat.
NRA Smallbore Prone Master