The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 1, 2014, 09:51 AM   #26
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnerman View Post
Fiveina dime- never seen a Axis that does not shoot SUB MOA right out of the box. Belive me I have seen well over 30 now. If you got one that did not--You definetly got a fluke for sure.
My sister has an Axis in .243 that shoots about 1.5MOA with factory ammo. I have never loaded for it. One of my good buddies has an Axis in .308 that will occasionally shoot a group less than an inch but most of the time slightly over an inch.

I have seen plenty of good groups at the range from Axis rifles, but I can't say that every one I have seen shoots sub MOA, at least with factory ammo.
Old February 1, 2014, 11:06 AM   #27
Mohave-Tec

That $200 turned my Axis into the best shooting rifle I've ever owned and it is beautiful. And that $200 bought me way more rifle than it would have had I spent $200 more on a "better" rifle. What I base this statement on is for an entirely new thread but it is well founded.
Probably the only advice you are going to get here is either from those who have done the upgrades and rave about them or from those who have not done them and who's major factor for not doing so is only about the $200 bill.

Last edited by Mohave-Tec; February 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old February 1, 2014, 10:49 PM   #28
Jay24bal

Yeah, I have to agree with Mohave and 4runner.

I own 2 Axis rifles, and would (and have, twice) laid down the extra money to upgrade them. I only have results from one of them (.223), as I have not fired the .308 yet and the stock is arriving on Monday. But for the .223, it took groups that were about .7ish down to .4ish (5 shots, 100 yards, using handloads) just by installing and bedding the Boyds' stock (I shoot off of a bipod so I get more tension and flex on the forend than some people).

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old February 1, 2014, 11:36 PM   #29
Mohave-Tec

I just traded the Nikon scope in the picture above for a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40mm. How's that for a $279 rifle. LOL.
Old February 2, 2014, 12:18 AM   #30
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay24bal View Post
Yeah, I have to agree with Mohave and 4runner.

I own 2 Axis rifles, and would (and have, twice) laid down the extra money to upgrade them. I only have results from one of them (.223), as I have not fired the .308 yet and the stock is arriving on Monday. But for the .223, it took groups that were about .7ish down to .4ish (5 shots, 100 yards, using handloads) just by installing and bedding the Boyds' stock (I shoot off of a bipod so I get more tension and flex on the forend than some people).
That's exactly what I was getting at with my post. Your gun was shooting great groups before you made all the changes and it happened to get better (no surprise) with a bedded laminate stock.

The OP has never responded about how well his rifle shoots. If he's not already satisfied with the accuracy, I wouldn't spend the money on the stock and trigger because it might not fix anything.

I'm all about taking cheap guns and making them better. I'm in the middle of building a semi-custom .260Rem. off of a Marlin X7S action. It's silly to some people, but it made sense to me.

I've seen some guys do cool stuff with Axis rifles on the Savage specific forums. I was tossing around the idea of building a cheap .223 with a used stainless Axis from Cabelas and a Boyd's stock. If it didn't shoot I could always screw on a new barrel.
Old February 2, 2014, 01:29 PM   #31
105gr

My rem700 shot 3MOA with factory loads. It shoots .75 with my handloads. Just because it mite not shoot very good right now doesnt mean it wont. I'm not argueing, I'm just sayin...
Old February 2, 2014, 02:02 PM   #32
Jay24bal

Quote:
My rem700 shot 3MOA with factory loads. It shoots .75 with my handloads
Personally, I believe this statement applies to all rifles, whether they be an Axis all the way up to a custom benchrest gun. And this is also the caveat I have given people when they ask about my Axis, handloading makes every gun (assuming the bore is not shot out) incredibly accurate.

Admittedly, the Axis was holding about 1.5 MOA groups with higher end factory loads set up as it came out of the box. I dropped it to about .7 MOA with handloads, and then a properly fitting, bedded stock brought it down to where my average is about .4 MOA.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old February 2, 2014, 06:32 PM   #33
Mohave-Tec

Mine shot great before I put the stock or new trigger in it. Because the rifle surprised me, I decided it was worth the extra attention. I bought the cheap rifle in the first place to help slow me down on my AR. LOL.
Yep, though the gun shot sub moa out of the box it was still miserable to shoot. I was constantly aware that I had to make sure not to flex the stock into the barrel and I had to do extensive breathing awareness just to finish a clean pull-through on the ****ty trigger that cam with it. But I knew the barrel and the action where dead nuts, I loved the looks and confidance the Boyd's stock shown and I have top notch triggers in all my rifles for a reason. Now I have a $479 rifle that shoots better than anything I've paid $600/$850 for originally. Just is.
Old February 8, 2014, 01:03 PM   #34
Doug76

Kirkpatrick, yes the changes will make it a greater pleasure to shoot. And you will get pleasure from doing the mods.
You might spend just as much money as you did for the rifle and the contemplated mods on a newer rifle, and it might not still be as good or pleasurable. It's a distinct possibility.
Myself, I enjoy modding, and if the basic works of the rifle are up to par, and IMO the Axis is, then I would mod it.
Old February 8, 2014, 01:39 PM   #35
Kirkpatrick

Thanks for all the responses. I think that I'm going to hang on to the rifle and see what I can get out of it, especially reading some of the success stories I've seen here.
I don't think I'll ever be that great of a shot, I've encountered very few guns that don't out shoot me (but they are out there). I think that I'm just going to get over the mental block that this rifle is crap and just enjoy it for what it is. After all, not being a hunter, that's what a rifle like this is all about for me.
I also want to get into reloading for rifles. I already hand load for all of my handguns and really enjoy it (and I think have gotten quite good at it) so I'm looking forward to learning and buying more equipment.
I remember buying a Taurus pt1911 a few years ago on an impulse. At first, after reading all the reviews, I wanted to kick myself for buying such a piece of crap, but over the years, it has been one of my favorite pistols to take to the range (not saying that I'd carry it as a SD weapon), but for plinking, and surprisingly, for accuracy, it's a ton of fun.
So yeah, I think I'll drop the $200 into it, and enjoy it for what it is, the most bang for the buck.
Thanks everyone.