The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 27, 2014, 05:06 PM   #1
RX-79G

Refinish: bulged import stamp removal

I have a nice imported pistol, and the importer's stamp was done with such force that the metal around the letters has bulged up, like tall sides of an impact crater.

I was thinking of refinishing the slide, and really putting a nice polish on the slide flats before bluing. But the bulged out lettering really detracts from how the flats look, and compete with the maker's markings.

Obviously, I can go at it with emery paper, but I thought there was a potential for it to look worse if not done with the right tools. I'm not trying to remove the stamp, just take the high bulged metal down to the level of the slide flats.

Has anyone ever dealt with this? I'm thinking of starting by just going after that row of lettering alone with a small strip of paper on a wider sanding block, but any ideas or experience is welcome.

Last edited by RX-79G; January 27, 2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old January 27, 2014, 06:04 PM   #2
DT Guy

You would need to use abrasives with a hard, flat backer, like a granite surface plate. You'll need to avoid rocking across the high spot and hitting the corners on each far side (hard to explain, but if you 'rock' across the stamp, you risk over-sanding the muzzle or butt end of the slide.)

I would suggest Sharpies or Dykem to track your progress and ensure you're hitting the stamp without causing excess wear anywhere else, and if you don't know exactly what you're doing, consider a pro for either some help or the whole job.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old January 27, 2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing

Draw filing will remove the high spots. In this, you hold the file ends in each hand, and pull the file sideways across the work. Just work slowly, and when finished, polish it with the rest.
Old January 27, 2014, 10:18 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Please don't sandpaper your gun and cold blue it!
Old January 27, 2014, 10:29 PM   #5
James K
Staff

If the pistol is "nice" and the only thing "wrong" is that raised metal, LEAVE IT ALONE! Anything you do will make it look like heck and you will NEVER get it looking right again.

Jim
Old January 28, 2014, 01:42 AM   #6
RX-79G

Well, I've hot water blued firearms before. I've also forged and finished Damascus knives myself. But thanks for the pearls of wisdom, boys.

DT and Dixie, thank you for your expertise. I wasn't sure if the raised bits could minimized without trading for something just as ugly.
Old January 28, 2014, 09:21 PM   #7
James K
Staff

Sorry for questioning an expert.

Jim
Old January 29, 2014, 03:33 AM   #8
RX-79G

James,

You didn't "question" me at all. Those end in a ?

I would be open to your advice if you would not have started with the assumption that I don't know anything about refinish or metal work. And I learned a lot of tips for doing things the right way from friendly people like DT and Dixie.

Frankly, I don't understand the nasty tone in either of your posts. Do you enjoy people assuming you're incompetent because you ask a question???
Old January 29, 2014, 10:55 AM   #9
WardenWolf

FYI, it is illegal to obliterate import marks on a firearm, and the import serial number is considered the "real" serial number. However, not all firearms have a separate import serial number stamped; some simply used their original factory number. This doesn't change the fact that removing the import mark is still illegal, and doubly so if it contains a new serial number. Is anyone going to care as long as the firearm has the same serial number stamped on both slide and frame? Probably not (I'm not advocating doing it; just saying), as there's plenty of older pieces that, for one reason or another, lack an import stamp. I can't tell you what to do with your piece; I can only inform you that removing it is illegal.
Old January 29, 2014, 11:23 AM   #10
RX-79G

Warden,

Please read third paragraph, second sentence of the OP.
Old January 29, 2014, 11:50 AM   #11
WardenWolf

However, the law says "defacing or obliterating." So this would still probably be illegal.
Old January 29, 2014, 12:02 PM   #12
Dixie Gunsmithing

"defacing or obliterating." means to make it unreadable, not to dress up the mark, or polish over it. If it did, a gunsmith would be out of business. As long as you can read it, is is legal.
Old January 30, 2014, 01:00 AM   #13
Bill DeShivs

Please show me any regulation that says that removing an importer's marking is illegal. Removing a SERIAL NUMBER is illegal.

RX- most people who ask questions like yours are about to sandpaper and cold blue their gun. I do my best to discourage that.